corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Plasti Dip Car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plasti Dip Car?
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Aug 14 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if its the paint again but again from that angle it still screams base model. Think its been a poor effort from ford in general with regards to the styling of the ST.
Brett
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z4 looks wicked, not sure on focus. Think maybe larger black wheels would help the focus out a bit.

[Edited on 20-08-2014 by Brett]
davcohen

21st Aug 14 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can say is wow that is super expensive I am back visiting my family for a few days and was going to plastidip my sisters rims and thought by chance it was sold in B&Q then I saw how much people are paying here!!!!

Here is a link to the American equivalent to B&Q who stock this product

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-Plasti-Dip-Black-Rubber-Coating-Spray-11203-6/100131010

They charge roughly £3.60+ Tax lol

I am a complete novice and cant recommend this product enough, looks good, its easy to use, long lasting and ..... well I thought cheap
Jambo

21st Aug 14 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dav for confirming my comments from earlier in the thread

For doing wheels etc its expensive. But doing the whole car is still relatively cheap, first outlay would include a spray gun obviously. But once you have it all you need is paint.
flybikeslee

21st Aug 14 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looks dirty imo
Balling
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
just looks dirty imo
Was just thinking that the Z4 looks like it needs a wash. Which may indeed be the case though, so not necessarily the paints fault.

Balling
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
But doing the whole car is still relatively cheap, first outlay would include a spray gun obviously. But once you have it all you need is paint.
Any idea of a rough material price for painting a whole car James?
As well as time involved?

Local company over this way charges roughly the same as a professional vinyl wrap if choosing a base colour.
As soon as you look at unique or metallic colours, vinyl is somewhat cheaper.

Not sure on benefits of one vs. the other. I guess you could more easily make small repairs to the Dip compared to re-wrapping an entire panel.

Jambo

21st Aug 14 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent wrap here in UK is around £1000-1500 I think? IMO it is a "better" option, as the finish on ones I have seen is far "nicer" in terms of touch to feel etc. But the overall effect is less pronounced when matte. But you can obviously get things like Chrome, gloss etc. All of which you can't get in dip. The downside, is whilst non permanent its not a 5minute job to take it off, and the cost is more.

Plasti-dip for a small-medium car would cost you £258 in paint and thinners (for the gun to clean)
Gun is £70 (Bosch one, argos) This is based on 12.5litres of stock black. Painters "Internet spec" blue masking tape £3
£330

Then obviously pearls, flips, glossifiers are additional. This would increase cost but I would assume you would have similar price structure with wraps. I.e more fancy finish is more expensive.

So here, it makes sense still. Easy DIY, and you can peel it off yourself in no time at all. It is much more cost effective. Obviously deciding to paint it again, would then only cost you £250 as you would have everything else you need. Just re-use the gun.

Sources:

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7114793.htm
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Pro-Car-Kits-cat/
Balling
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the run down.

Obviously a clear contender to a wrap as the cost is much lower, but then again you're comparing a pro job to diy.
Doubt Steve paid £1000 to wrap his Landy.

Though I imagine that for most cars a diy Dip is going to be easier than a diy wrap.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about 250 quid lol
Jambo

21st Aug 14 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah sure, DIY wrapping I am sure would be far cheaper. But that requires a certain level of skill and I would imagine takes a lot longer. The wheel I did actual painting time was probably 5-6 minutes. 10-15mins drying between coats. So takes no time at all.

But as mentioned, one is temporary and a better finish. The other is total DIY and removable in minutes.
Ben G

21st Aug 14 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate said that Matt pack guy charges £500 to plastidip a standard sized car in matt black. Seems cheap if that includes materials.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Plasti Dip Car? 23 database queries in 0.0118442 seconds