corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Plasti Dip Car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plasti Dip Car?
Pete_vxl

User status: Offline
27th Jul 14 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dipped my trim and wingmirrors over the weekend. The finish was matte black. The texture is rough, almost sandpaper-ish. I didn't let it dry proparly and peeled it off and started again as travelling at 70mph caused it to start peeling.
N16K

28th Jul 14 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did my wheels Gunmetal came out nice and smooth. Still perfect after a few months driving and washing with garden hose don't have a pressure washer no idea if it could handle that. Would not do a whole car with the stuff but good for wheels, badges and trim.

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by N16K]
Jambo

9th Aug 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So decided to do a dummy rub. I am using an old E36 wheel I got off my dads car in 1996 Been sat in the garage for a while so thought I would make it into a coffee table for the living room. Was going to get it powder coated gloss black, but thought I would "dip" it first to see how it turned out.

1 Can from Amazon at £15.89 Which I think is rather expensive, so if you are going to get into this I would recommend getting a proper kit and sprayer as it will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

Ok, so cleaned the wheel and removed the tyre valve

You might be able to make out that the wheel has a fair amount of scratching and chips in the paint especially around the bolt holes.

So all in place and ready to spray, I might point out at this point no wind all day and bright sun. Soon as I got it out here comes the cloud and the wind

A light dusting as the base coat, basically the key in painting terms. I was gingerly spraying, however after more layers I noticed you can actually lay it on quite thick, and most pro's seem to do it this way. So will do that next time.

Second coat:

Didn't photograph the third as I couldn't be arsed but here is the drying fourth coat:

And then tadaaaaaa:

It has filled in most of the scratches, is very uniform in colour and was a peice of piss to spray. I cocked up on one shot and thought I had a run, but it didn't come to anything. I am pleased, however that wheel face on four coats was one can!! You can''t spray too thinly else it doesn't peel off.

So looking at the cost, I may have to get it done powder coat as the plastidip will be a lot more to do the outer wheel and inner face too.

Good fun though, I recommend to anyone to give it a go
3CorsaMeal

9th Aug 14 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice. What's the texture like up close?

Still undecided on plastidip route. Might get the spray kit though and at least do some wheels and might try the front chrome in the audi.

Carbon fibre front wings are what I'm going to get. Will fit them and sort out some bodywork myself. Then decide whether to get a respray or plastidip. I think the corrado looks better with shiny paint. The matt look seems to suit modern cars best as the build quality is better. Matt on an old vw had a bit of a pikey look about it.
Jambo

9th Aug 14 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Know what you mean Jim. Can look a but dishevelled.

Its taken a while to dry after the coats (appx 10-15mins apart) its quite rough when I last touched it. Not sure I did the best job but looks fantastic nonetheless.

Ill take some better photos tomorrow if I get time, do a close up for you.

Price of the stuff is outrageous though. 5Litres is £80!!!! Thats just for boggo colours too. Can't ship it from DYC.com because of the chemicals in it, so have to buy it here. The gun you can get from Argos and is £70, which is a Bosch one too

Not sure I will bother doing the DS3 though, too much money. In US one of those cans is under £4
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

9th Aug 14 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw some in wilkinsons a while back dont think it was anywhere near that price
Jambo

9th Aug 14 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wilkinsons?!

You mean Plasti-Kote? That's different stuff..
boylers11

9th Aug 14 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That finish looks good Jambo.

I've just sprayed some of my kit car parts with Spray dip from Spray dip on eBay (they also have a warehouse in Hampshire or somewhere that way I think) and the quality is SHITE! I'm really disappointed not just with the finish, but also with the spray can nozzles themselves. I paid £90 for 8 cans and none of the nozzles were sufficient. I tried soaking the cans in hot water first as suggested, but the nozzles just weren't wide enough for the viscosity of the paint, causing it to drip and splat as opposed to spray mist.
Luckily, I managed to make the finish half decent by using a nozzle off an old paint can. I've tried complaining to them saying that the cans aren't fit for purpose, but no reply as yet.
DO NOT USE SPRAY DIP!!!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah could be plastic kote
DaveyLC

11th Aug 14 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

Looks like the coating on my Tefal pans now.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Aug 14 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
1 Can from Amazon at £15.89 Which I think is rather expensive, so if you are going to get into this I would recommend getting a proper kit and sprayer as it will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.
Bit cheaper on plastidip.co.uk.

Get a discount as well, if you order in bulk.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?Aerosol%20Spray&stage=3&pid=PDL-0009&colour=Black

Jambo

11th Aug 14 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was the shipped price Balling. And it's 89p cheaper.

Not quite like £4

I am still tempted to give doing the car a go but not got anywhere indoors to do it
Neo

14th Aug 14 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen this on detailing world - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=343041

State of it when it was removed
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it makes paint shit but can be fixed quite easily
John

14th Aug 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not clear from that thread if that plastidip caused that issue or if it was plastidipped because of the issue originally.
3CorsaMeal

14th Aug 14 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, might of wiped it down with his old rugby socks before applying it
Balling
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not clear from that thread if that plastidip caused that issue or if it was plastidipped because of the issue originally.
State of the paint might be debatable, but overspray everywhere is obviously the plasti dip.

Giving the car a good polish after removal won't be half as bad as cleaning off all that shit from every opening.

3CorsaMeal

14th Aug 14 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, i'd wax the door shut before hand and not buff it off, then spray, then clean it off.
Jambo

14th Aug 14 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The overspray just wipes off with a microfibre...

A couple of people have experienced issues with removing it. But it seems to be a massive minority. As in 1/2 out of 30,000 kind of figures
Balling
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As in 1/2 out of 30,000 kind of figures
At first I read that as "half of 30,000" and thought that's a pretty shocking statistic.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by Balling]

Ben G

14th Aug 14 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think a bloke in work sent me a picture message of his brand new focus st plasti dipped but it didn't download the picture and I deleted the text

Can't wait until I go back to work to have a nose.
Jambo

14th Aug 14 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I decide to remove the dip I will photograph the results for all to see
kz

15th Aug 14 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My carbon fibre splitter has scratches and pealing all over it, was thinking of replacing but until then do you think I could spray this stuff over the top to make it look okay for a while again?
Steve
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may dip my balls
AndyCorsaSport

16th Aug 14 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
may dip my balls

Good luck finding em first.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Plasti Dip Car? 23 database queries in 0.1109920 seconds