corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » What does unfurnished mean to you?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What does unfurnished mean to you?
luciaadr

User status: Offline
9th Apr 14 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're looking at renting out our house.

Never having rented, let alone being landlords, what have those people who have rented in the past had supplied, or had to bring with them with regards to white goods?

I'm thinking about providing a cooker, fridge and freezer. No washing machine and dishwasher (theres space for both).

Last thing I want to do is shell out on say a washing machine, then tenant wants to bring their own one....
fred7

9th Apr 14 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfurnished is empty except carpets in all cases that ive rented and a cooker if its built in otherwise no. We have always wanted to bring our own stuff anyway because wouldnt like to use other peoples stuff myself.
tom130691
Premium Member

9th Apr 14 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every place i had during uni came with,

Cooker
Fridge
Freezer
Washing machine
AndyKent

9th Apr 14 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming its let to a family, not a uni let, I wouldn't provide any white goods. Anything you leave for the tenant will become your responsibility to repair if it goes wrong.

If they bring their own cooker, they have to sort it out. Less to go wrong, imo.
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th Apr 14 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was at University every place I viewed came with a washing machine, fridge-freezer and a cooker.

When viewing places after I graduated that weren't student lets, they tended to only have a cooker.

MX5 Project Thread
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Apr 14 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Andy says, anything you supply, you're responsible for repairing. We don't supply any white good with ours, which has never been questioned.
Colin

9th Apr 14 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Include anything that's built in only.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be careful with unfurnished as it means people will be moving their own furniture in, thus causing damage to walls and door frames. That said if you furnish and something breaks you have to fix it; like the duffus who got carried away shagging his missus and put her through the bed breaking 3 of the mattress supports!! I couldn't charge him as I could only think what a lad.

We furnish but it's the minimal amount of furniture as we find lots of renters have their own mountain of belongings to fit in.

Robbo

10th Apr 14 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UF = curtains/blinds, carpets, cooker, gas hob, heating, WC fittings. anythign else depends, i had an unfurnished with white goods

re. your place, dont supply fridge/freezer but no washing machine, thats just retarded. Both (or all if youre super nice) or none at all
Robbo

10th Apr 14 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Assuming its let to a family, not a uni let, I wouldn't provide any white goods. Anything you leave for the tenant will become your responsibility to repair if it goes wrong.

If they bring their own cooker, they have to sort it out. Less to go wrong, imo.
Yep - family size/desired tenant = no white goods. young couple/students etc. = white goods (add dishwasher if you want "young profs")
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really relates to your target market - so first of all work out who is most likely to rent your house.

Our primary market is single men/recent divorcees who have very little in the way of possessions as everything they had was left in the family home; as such we furnish comfortably but basically. That said, our tenants are maximum 18months before they move on to somewhere bigger or with a new partner.
Robbo

10th Apr 14 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you go cruising bars lookign for wedding ring tan lines?
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much; we actually have a waiting list - last time we advertised in the local paper, we had 26 calls in the first night of the advert running and the first person to come and see it took it. She was a one eyed prostitute called Tracey which was a bit of a mistake and I'll definitely be more choosy in the future
Conway563

10th Apr 14 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing I expect when unfurnished is a cooker, viewed and turned down a place in the past because it didn't come with one
Have rented one place that came with a fridge as we'll but that was only because it was built in
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of White Goods, our place came with the Cooker only, as it's a built in unit, with a separate Hob & Extractor.

We've supplied all other white goods, ALL forms of furniture, and also had to supply our own Curtains (Nets were already present mind).
Andrew

10th Apr 14 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a tenancy agreement written up by the solicitor we used to buy our house. Because I do some IT work for the solicitor who recommended him, he didn't charge me anything to write this up.

It basically says the tenant is responsible for repairing the dishwasher and washing machine. Both have to be in good working order when they leave. The cooker and hob is my responsibility allowing for general wear and tear.

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by Andrew]
luciaadr

10th Apr 14 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a two up, two down end of terrace. One double bedroom, one single so would suit young family or couple. Singletons round here would want a flat probably.

The cooker and fridge are built in. The freezer isn't but seemed daft to supply a fridge and no freezer.

Might sling in a washing machine and leave it at that
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
When I was at University every place I viewed came with a washing machine, fridge-freezer and a cooker.

When viewing places after I graduated that weren't student lets, they tended to only have a cooker.

Mine where never student houses, didnt even do halls because im a snob
Robbo

11th Apr 14 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I had a tenancy agreement written up by the solicitor we used to buy our house. Because I do some IT work for the solicitor who recommended him, he didn't charge me anything to write this up.

It basically says the tenant is responsible for repairing the dishwasher and washing machine. Both have to be in good working order when they leave. The cooker and hob is my responsibility allowing for general wear and tear.

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by Andrew]
thats ludicrous you are NEVER responsible for landlords fixtures and fittings, bar being negligient...
Andrew

11th Apr 14 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She's signed the contract which was not written by tom, dick or harry.

I'm not a charity!
RichR
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In Andrew's defence, all of the commercial lettings which my missus' parents do are on a full repair covenants with the exception of the roof and structural members; everything inside from doors, to windows, electrics to fixtures & fittings has to be replaced or returned to its original status.

Granted that's commercial but it does have a standing I wouldn't do it personally on our domestic lets though.

[Edited on 11-04-2014 by RichR]
Robbo

11th Apr 14 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
She's signed the contract which was not written by tom, dick or harry.

I'm not a charity!
its not their repsosnbiblity if your bit of kit breaks!
luciaadr

7th May 14 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh well, looks like we're not going to be landlords just yet

2.5 months down the line the vendor has decided to pull out of selling their house ("changed their mind"), stiffing me for £2k of expenses
Rob_Quads

8th May 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sucks.

Perfect example of why the housing market needs to change.

Once a sale is agreed it should be binding pending searches.
Robbo

9th May 14 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely you can sue the guy for expenses?!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll