corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buy to Let

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buy to Let
mattk

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has been great, thanks very much,

#The house is up for £49,500, its got all the signs of being a reposession, its got tape on all the taps and boiler, and it sold in 2007 for £97k therefore I think its a repo

We anticipate to get it for £42k, however we can manage the asking price. We have our mortgage agreed with a 20% deposit, of which we have in an account ready to go.

I think we are going to let it furnished, is this better? I was thinking its the sort of house a young couple would move intogether in so Id assume they didnt have white goods and a 3 piece suite, They can get their own tele.

Im self employed so Im quite clued up with the tax side of things, I assume its the same as running a sole trader business?

this house isnt being bought for the cash it makes every month, the cash it makes will be left in the account untill there is another deposit in there to buy another one. Dependant on how this one treats us

Cheers again for your input!
AndyKent

23rd Aug 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't supply electricals. Anything like that has to be maintained so if it blows up you have to give them another one.

Same with cookers. The nightmare we've had with elements breaking and the tenants have an expectation that the landlord will fix.
mattk

23rd Aug 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a gas cooker out of my house that I could put in, Obviously I can do the landlored safety cert.

electricals are cheap enough from tesco anyway so frig them, they can supply their own
Toby
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
This has been great, thanks very much,

#The house is up for £49,500, its got all the signs of being a reposession, its got tape on all the taps and boiler, and it sold in 2007 for £97k therefore I think its a repo

We anticipate to get it for £42k, however we can manage the asking price. We have our mortgage agreed with a 20% deposit, of which we have in an account ready to go.

I think we are going to let it furnished, is this better? I was thinking its the sort of house a young couple would move intogether in so Id assume they didnt have white goods and a 3 piece suite, They can get their own tele.

Im self employed so Im quite clued up with the tax side of things, I assume its the same as running a sole trader business?

this house isnt being bought for the cash it makes every month, the cash it makes will be left in the account untill there is another deposit in there to buy another one. Dependant on how this one treats us

Cheers again for your input!

Don't furnish, the amount of revenue they will generate extra is minimal, imo i think it reduces your target market and the risk of damage etc is not worth it.
AndyKent

23rd Aug 12 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd only furnish if I had stuff I didn't want. Probably be trying to flog them to the new tenant first though and make some cash
mattk

23rd Aug 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound, unfurnished it is. cheers
Edd

23rd Aug 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Im not using a BTL lender though and have carried on with my current mortgage lender (this is not really an option for those that are purchasing with the intenion of letting though i have seen it done)

Risky game to play not having consent to let mate.
Rob_Quads

23rd Aug 12 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some estate agents will not market the house without a letter to say your mortgage provider is happy for you to rent.

its a dangerous game to play.

You better off getting on the phone. Will probably cost £150/£200 for the mortgage company to agree to it and write a letter to confirm its OK.
baza31

24th Aug 12 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont go in with your mate it will be a big mistake.

I also think the only way you can earn a decent wage out of letting houses is buying sub 80k properties . How i see it which maybe wrong. If i only have to spent 70k to get £500 a month then whats point spending 100k to get £600 a month? best buying cheap houses that at least the tennant covers ALL costs.
I think the people in contant negitive throughout the morgage are putting their heads on the block and making a very bad move . My opinion of course

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by baza31]
noshua

24th Aug 12 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why? Any loss will only be half as bad, probably has a separate trade that'll come in handy sit it being a repo and more then likely doesnt have the other 1/2 of the deposit.
baza31

24th Aug 12 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Why? Any loss will only be half as bad, probably has a separate trade that'll come in handy sit it being a repo and more then likely doesnt have the other 1/2 of the deposit.

thats not the way to look at it . There is a list as long as my arm on reasons not to . Getting a friend and mixing money and business will always end in tears when the timescale is as great as this is . If you was turning a house round to sell then maybe as its a quick turnover. Both their lives will change alot in 25 years and what happens if for example his mate wants out 3 years down line and he cant afford to buy him out? also if the house is 50k the extra deposit isnt much more ,he could put his 10k down which is still 25% get a interest only untill the house is complete so he can finantially manage then change to repayments . When money is involved it will certainly cause arguments
mattk

24th Aug 12 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have the money to buy at the asking price in an account already. If he wants out in 3 years then we will discuss that then, I doubt it though. this isnt something we have dreamed up over night, we have been looking for the right house since we first discussed it in march this year.

Either of us could afford the house on our own anyway. we were initially going to buy one each, but have decided to go halfs so we can get our heads around what we need.

The plan ultimately is to buy one a year for the next 10 years. we shall see on that one though.

whats to argue about? a direct debit from our individual accounts into our joint account to cover expenses while its empty and then just leav the rent to build up when its let out. neither of us need the income from the rent just let that build up into another deposit
baza31

25th Aug 12 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can afford it outright why you bothering getting a partner? Makes no sense in my eyes .
mattk

27th Aug 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To share the work load. we both want to try it so we will try it together first while we are learnring. went to veiw the hous on saturday. its a pearler for 49 grand. will place an offer on it tomorrow
baza31

27th Aug 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What type of house is it? If it's up for 49 I bet 45 would get it. What needs doing to it ? What's realistic house prices from neighbouring houses?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Aug 12 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sharing the venture just reduces your exposure to problems. Its not destined to fail, there are some issues to iron out but even if either party wants out, the remaining partner isn't legally bound to have to bail them out. Worst that would happen is that you'll have to sell it to realise his half (or indeed yours) and at that price, you'd be up anyway.

If you've not got someone to manage it, my mate has a sideline business doing that, will put you in touch. Last two I've done the viewings for him and they've flown out, he has them on Rightmove and some other big places. Not sure if he'd go fully managed while its a bit far away but I'd certainly recommend him for the contracts and advertisement particularly if you're not clear what is needed.
mattk

5th Sep 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

offer of £47.5k accepted, couldnt get an 80% mortgage though because Im under 25, so we have gone for a 70% mortgage with northern rock

30& deposit is quite a hit and not as much as we wanted to pay but we can just about afford it. mortgage is only £170 a month between us. next door, 2 bed as opposed to our 3 bed was on the market for 4 days and is now let for 475 pcm.

looks like its a goer, should have it in a few weeks
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done!
corsa-sxi

5th Sep 12 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IS this a buy to let mortgage or normal mortgage?

What are the risks of renting without a BTL mortgage?

Also what are the risks of a cash in hand type of rental?

What % is capital gains tax

Is there no threshold for rental income? or is it just your normal income allowance?

When people say offset the taxable amount on interest and maintenance, does it have to be maintenance on the house? is there anyway to pocket that maintenance?

[Edited on 05-09-2012 by corsa-sxi]
mattk

11th Oct 12 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought.

My dad has the keys as we are both half way through a tour of europe. cant wait to get stuck in. new thread will be made.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 12 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one.
drunkenfool

11th Oct 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can have two residential mortgages so long as a "family member" lives in the other one ;-)
random dav
Premium Member

12th Oct 12 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ace, look forward to seeing it

WRLFC !

Project cars

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll