corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting Out

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting Out
mattk

User status: Offline
8th Jan 09 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have my deposit for my first house now after alot of saving and while prices are low im looking to buy in summer / autumn, Im really not ready for moving out though yet and sort of like the thought of renting it out and having someone else pay the mortgage for me

does it work like that or can you simply not buy a house on a normal mortgage to rent out, how do you stop dickheads trshing the place and whats the best way to mantain the house?

also fixed, tracker or variable?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would get a fixed mortgage for the longest period possible!!
dannymccann

8th Jan 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about mortgages, however the only real way of making sure people dont trash it is to either vet the tenant yourself, or word regular inspections into a contract, and also by maintaining a concise inventory for the start and finish of the tenancy.

For maintenance you can either do it yourself if you know enough or know people who can do it for you (like my landlord) or you can pay a lettings agent and they use their own handymen for the jobs. I would advise against that in my own experience, as it isnt their house/investment they really dont give a shit!
mattk

8th Jan 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt know wether you could mantain it yourself or not, Il be doing that then, I know enough people in various trades to do my landlord safety checks

what level of furnish do the houses have to be? or do tennants bring their own
dannymccann

8th Jan 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You choose, can be furnished, part furnished or unfurnished. Usually you have to provide the basics like plumbed in cooker/hob, shower, sink, cupboards etc, ive seen unfurnished places where tenants have to provide their own fridge/freezer its that bare
C2RL R

8th Jan 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think part furnished you have to provide beds and couches or is that furnished. i actually don't know much about it so i don't know why i'm talking tbh! i'm only in here coz i have a house i want to rent out and i'm looking for info.
dannymccann

8th Jan 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my current house is advertised as 'unfurnished' and it came with

A complete kitchen minus washing machine (with plug in points for washing machine)

Complete bathroom

Rest of the house is empty
mattk

8th Jan 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking of a cheap fitted kitchen with a gas cooker and hob and a fridge freezer, could probably get a washer cheap too, then a full bathroom with a electric shower, can get all that for free / next to nothing from work anyway
dannymccann

8th Jan 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked my landlord to go halves on a washer and he said he wasnt going to as it meant if it ever went wrong he would have to start footing repair bills for something provided with the property, which is why he left it bare minimum, something to keep in mind
neoquip

11th Jan 09 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
I have my deposit for my first house now after alot of saving and while prices are low im looking to buy in summer / autumn, Im really not ready for moving out though yet and sort of like the thought of renting it out and having someone else pay the mortgage for me

does it work like that or can you simply not buy a house on a normal mortgage to rent out, how do you stop dickheads trshing the place and whats the best way to mantain the house?

also fixed, tracker or variable?

No, it doesn't work as simple as that, if you're renting it out you get a BUY TO LET Mortgage. these are slightly higher % rates than a 'normal' mortgage and the deposits needed start from about 15% to 25%
The interest only is paid on a BTL also, you an do a re payment but there's no point paying the loan off as you can't get tax relief on the interest you pay and no benefit having it paid off TBH, some BTL you can't release funds from your equity either in the future (HSBC don't allow you to do it, hence no point having a small mortgage with you having a lot of collateral in the property).
If you don't tell your mortgage lender your renting it out, you might have problems if you get problems with a tenant no paying you, the higher interest rate on your mortgage allows the fact they might have problems getting a tenant out if you get re possessed.

Looking afte a property???
check my thread out....
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=468829&pid=6152524#pid6152524

Now, do you want to enter the Landlord game?
dannymccann

11th Jan 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neo has been properly bummed Thats the risk you take with being a landlord, its shite but what isnt anymore
mattk

11th Jan 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have sent in the heavy`s
bishbosh

14th Feb 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, its not reccomended you buy and rent out on a standard mortgage - but it is possible?

Reason is, i am looking into buying a house for a cousin to rent from me... but i dont have 30%ltv...
neoquip

14th Feb 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mortgage lender looks upon it in the situation if they have to reposess the property they then have the problem of a sitting tenant they YOU put in there without them knowing etc thats why BTLs are slightly higher % rate than a normal rate mortgage. Also a BTL you put 30% ish down so you have colleateral in the property, NOT like a 100% mortgage some people have on normal mortgages.
then you find your RENt will cover the repayments.
Twiggy

14th Feb 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Neo has been properly bummed Thats the risk you take with being a landlord, its shite but what isnt anymore

He has been bummed because he did not inspect the house on a regular basis. Yes there twats but his own fault imo.

neoquip

14th Feb 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can't keep going round every week, the people who were going to see her to check on her etc weren't allowed past the door on some occation!
John

14th Feb 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not being allowed in suggests straight away something is up.
Twiggy

14th Feb 09 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip
you can't keep going round every week, the people who were going to see her to check on her etc weren't allowed past the door on some occation!

I fully agree that every week is to much, but every 6mths with 2 weeks notice is fine.

New Poll