corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Eastern European Conflict

Poll: Eastern European Conflict
Yes 11 (23.91%)
No 35 (76.09%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Eastern European Conflict
Tiger

User status: Offline
17th Mar 14 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the intensifying rhetoric and recent sanctions between the EU/USA and Russia, do you think military intervention will be inevitable. Russia don't seem to be taking this lying down but it doesnt seem that the USA or EU will want to lose face over this arguement.

[Edited on 19-02-2015 by Tiger]
AlexSXI

17th Mar 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the EU and/or USA would be stupid to get involved.

Clearly Russia are a super-power will lots of force in terms of military / economy and everything else. But with such a volatile leader in Putin just leave them be to squabble over Crimea with whoever wants to argue
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the biggest issue is Russian expansion, I don't think the EU / USA want them to spread out their federation.
p

17th Mar 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Attack the rouble.
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putin takes another step towards taking on Crimea and alienating themselves further.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26621726
Mattb

17th Mar 14 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What ever happens as a nation we wont get involved. It would be stupid for us to do so, Russia had a little prod at us in January

They had some naval vessels out on legitimate training etc and decided to send one ship out to loiter up in scotland near loch ness... took over 24 hours for us to get a ship up there to challenge them

We do anything, they will be on our doorstep before we can think about how we might defend ourselves

Clicky for newspaper link
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either way it's not a decision that will be taken lightly.

It's clear Russia don't give a shit about much, their government are nuts and wouldn't think twice about taking extreme action. So the USA and EU will have to tread very carefully.

Other countries shouldn't be bullied or made to feel afraid of standing up for what's right.

We can threaten them with sanctions etc., but they have a lot of the oil and have plenty of leverage and power to screw us back over. The USA and EU certainly don't hold all the cards.

MX5 Project Thread
Mattb

17th Mar 14 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong, i agree with standing up for whats right. But what if on the off chance Russia is right? and the Crimean region wants closer ties to Russia and not the EU. What if the whole Referendum was Legit and its genuinely what the people want?
p

17th Mar 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
Dont get me wrong, i agree with standing up for whats right. But what if on the off chance Russia is right? and the Crimean region wants closer ties to Russia and not the EU. What if the whole Referendum was Legit and its genuinely what the people want?

Because it's not been done in a legal procedure? Putin saw an opportunity for his own agenda, and he went in for it. Saw a weakness and pounced, you could say. But none of this is legitimate, not at all.
tom130691
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What ever happens as a nation we wont get involved. It would be stupid for us to do so, Russia had a little prod at us in January

They had some naval vessels out on legitimate training etc and decided to send one ship out to loiter up in scotland near loch ness... took over 24 hours for us to get a ship up there to challenge them

We do anything, they will be on our doorstep before we can think about how we might defend ourselves

Lets hope he takes scotland in the same was a Crimea tbh saves a vote
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far will he be allowed to go before military action is taken though? He might think "well that was easy, let's look at other countries"
p

17th Mar 14 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
How far will he be allowed to go before military action is taken though? He might think "well that was easy, let's look at other countries"

Well with Obama at the helm in the US, pretty far I'd say. All talk that guy. Look at Syria for an example.

Sure is an intriguing situation.
Aaron

17th Mar 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:

Lets hope he takes scotland in the same was a Crimea tbh saves a vote

Shudda have sent one of the subs to pop it's head out of the water with a torpedo "locked on"
Mattb

17th Mar 14 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:

Because it's not been done in a legal procedure? Putin saw an opportunity for his own agenda, and he went in for it. Saw a weakness and pounced, you could say. But none of this is legitimate, not at all.

I completely appreciate that it wasnt legally, and Putin stands to gain alot by taking crimea, but what if the people who live in that region genuinely want Russia there? Just because Putins been a dick and gone in mob handed doesnt detract from the possibility that the people of the region deserve a say in what they want rather than have some willy waving politicians and eurocrats dictating to them what they must want to want.

To be fair though world politics is all a load of shit anyway. I love the way the US and the rest (including ourselves) can rock up in a region, shoot and bomb the shit out of it in the name of stability and world peace. Then when someone else tries it (without the shooting and bombing) its regarded as completely wrong.. i dont get it to be fair
Dom

17th Mar 14 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
Well with Obama at the helm in the US.....

And if it was Bush and Co, US would want to start a war and we'd end up getting dragged into; at least Obama is taking the sensible and logical route

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by Dom]
p

17th Mar 14 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by p
Well with Obama at the helm in the US.....

And if it was Bush and Co, US would want to start a war and we'd end up getting dragged into; at least Obama is taking the sensible and logical route

That's down to your opinion. Obama and the US look weak with no real action. He says one thing and does another. I'm not stating for war, though. But you can't let Russia get away with what they're doing.
Baskey

17th Mar 14 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got an air raid shelter in my garden and an old .22 rifle. Bring em on
Dom

17th Mar 14 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
I'm not stating for war, though. But you can't let Russia get away with what they're doing.

Increasing any form of military presence by us or the American's, or any nation, is just going to cause aggravation and ultimately (and likely to) resort in Russia retaliating. And what makes military intervention even more of an idiotic idea is the fact that we, and i suspect America, don't have the expenditure (tbf, nor any real hardware especially 'air') to head into another war after being in Iraq/Afghanistan for the last 13 years, especially with a super-power like Russia.

But ok, you don't want to start a war but at the same time you don't want to "let Russia get away with what they're doing" - so what would you suggest?

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Iv got an air raid shelter in my garden and an old .22 rifle. Bring em on

If war broke out between 'us' (UK, America, anyone else) and Russia, as a country we would be royally fucked - [Tommy] "Propper fucked?", [Turkish] "Yes, before Zee Germans get there"

p

17th Mar 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by p
I'm not stating for war, though. But you can't let Russia get away with what they're doing.

Increasing any form of military presence by us or the American's, or any nation, is just going to cause aggravation and ultimately (and likely to) resort in Russia retaliating. And what makes military intervention even more of an idiotic idea is the fact that we, and i suspect America, don't have the expenditure (tbf, nor any real hardware especially 'air') to head into another war after being in Iraq/Afghanistan for the last 13 years, especially with a super-power like Russia.

But ok, you don't want to start a war but at the same time you don't want to "let Russia get away with what they're doing" - so what would you suggest?

Attack the rouble.
Dom

17th Mar 14 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
Attack the rouble.

How would that have a direct affect on Russia taking control of Crimea?
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the fact that Russia has effectively downplayed what is really a welcomed invasion on a neighbouring country, they will be considered a threat to other attached nations and should be scrutinised much more closely from now on.
3CorsaMeal

17th Mar 14 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever happens we can rest assured knowing there will be loads of dashcam footage.

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by 3CorsaMeal]
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So far the russians whose assets have been frozen have simply laughed it off and treated it like a joke, so clearly that sanction avenue hasnt worked. So what next?
micra_pete
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was Ruski for over a hundred year. Ruskies want it back.

My comrades in the Crimea agree.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Eastern European Conflict 25 database queries in 0.1008089 seconds