corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How much more are brand new built houses?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much more are brand new built houses?
sc0ott

User status: Offline
18th Feb 14 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a brand new timber frame house and expect to see cracking all over the place within 6 weeks due to the timber drying out. Doesnt look nice tbh.

Personally i wouldnt touch a brand new new build but then again i do work in the industry.

My advice would be to buy the show house. These are sold at the end of a development but they are fully kitted out with high spec goods, furniture, decorated, single integral garages are normally converted into a double sometimes triple, gardens are fully landscaped with better paths and driveway finishes, and the house will go for a lower price.
John

18th Feb 14 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Show homes definitely finished better but if you are conned by that then you deserve it. Finish on Taylor Wimpey stuff certainly isn't the best, but that's part of the reason it's 100k cheaper than the equivalent Cala round the corner.

As long as you go in with your eyes opened, there is nothing wrong with new builds.
Cavey

18th Feb 14 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
A van for a weekend (even a huge one) costs what £200? surely anyone not voer the age of 50 and with years of accumulated junk just moves themselves these days?!

That was my thinking. Fees are £1.5k or so, van rental, 50-200? Then what?
Ben G

18th Feb 14 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stamp duty is a pretty big cost.
pow
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by pow
You don't realise how much it costs to move house then Tom Put aside 5k for just moving costs. That's money that you'll see nothing for.

What? What do you include in that £5k? - Fees? Van Rental? New Furniture? Decorating?

If you're selling then estate agents fees, stamp duty, solicitors fees for both ends, mortgage setup costs. I was only buying and it cost me 4.5k
Cavey

18th Feb 14 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair point
pow
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the £7 for two beers for borrowing a friends van
sc0ott

18th Feb 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Show homes definitely finished better but if you are conned by that then you deserve it. Finish on Taylor Wimpey stuff certainly isn't the best, but that's part of the reason it's 100k cheaper than the equivalent Cala round the corner.

As long as you go in with your eyes opened, there is nothing wrong with new builds.

I dont see how anyone could be conned into buying a house with all the upgrade options plus more all for cheaper than the bog standard house joe bloggs bought two doors down the road. I cant speak for taylor wimpey but the attention our showhomes get is unreal.

John

18th Feb 14 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not what I meant.

I meant that if you have went into the show home, been impressed, then expected the same in the one you've bought.
sc0ott

18th Feb 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was referring to buying the actual show house not buying one of the others expecting it to be the same, hence why i picked your comment up wrong. But yes 90% of the things you see in show houses are there to make it look nice and not actually a clients upgrade or extra.
John

18th Feb 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even without the upgrades, just the general fit and finish is better in the show home.
MarkM

18th Feb 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a new build four bedroom detached house with a separate stand alone garage, front and rear gardens and a three car driveway. It's not small and the rooms are good sizes. It's my first house and is perfect for what I want. I'll stay in it for ten years then sell or rent it out when I move into my new place.
tom130691
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by pow
You don't realise how much it costs to move house then Tom Put aside 5k for just moving costs. That's money that you'll see nothing for.

What? What do you include in that £5k? - Fees? Van Rental? New Furniture? Decorating?

If you're selling then estate agents fees, stamp duty, solicitors fees for both ends, mortgage setup costs. I was only buying and it cost me 4.5k

Everything im doing now is based on my current wage alone, and should be comfortable.

The guy next to me with a few more years exp at work gets £10 an hour more than me

so in a few years plus the addition of the misses gets full time job, which will all be essentially disposable, an upgrade in 5-10 years is not unrealistic at all.

I was looking at keeping 5k to the side as moving costs, but I have enough furnishings from the uni houses to start off anyway. I wont need to start from scratch
pow
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wish I could walk into 35k jobs
Bart

23rd Feb 14 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Buy a brand new timber frame house and expect to see cracking all over the place within 6 weeks due to the timber drying out. Doesnt look nice tbh.

Having owned 2 brand new properties, I would have to disagree with that statement.

If you can buy a property from a plan you'll also get a discount and likely a choice of interior decoration and color etc
John

23rd Feb 14 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were yours timber built? More popular in Scotland I think.
Bart

23rd Feb 14 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes both timber frame.
Been in current one for 3 years, a couple if hairline cracks here and there but nothing of any concern. All window ledges are still fine etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll