corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » If you were a FTB...

Poll: If you were a FTB...
New build 5 (35.71%)
Around 10 years old 4 (28.57%)
1950's 4 (28.57%)
1900's 1 (7.14%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If you were a FTB...
Haimsey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 12 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would you go for and why?

I want a new build, but put off by their Lego style construction and lesser (IMO) build quality compared to older properties.
But I don't want something massively old because I can imagine it will need work at some point.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
whitter45

16th Nov 12 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Persoanlly there is no right answer

New build may provide discounts or deals but be careful of small print. They also make best use of space

New build also tend to quite closely pack together now with minmum land

Older properties will be slightly bigger but less efficient and depending on upkeep may have hidden issues

When I was looking I just set a budget and area in mind and just went looking. I wouldn't narrow your search to a particular style, age of property

you will know when you have found a house you want.
Mase
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd agree with Whitter, you don't want to narrow your options too much to early on. I ended up going for a place built in 1997 I think, mainly down to price and a lack of new builds in my price range around the time, but also because the place I ended up buying is not too overlooked, the houses are not on top of one another and the roads are wide. It sounds a bit picky, but it really helps when folk are dumping their cars all over the place!

Mase
whitter45

16th Nov 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes parking is a key one

always got told to view the propery in daylight but go back in the evenings when most people are back at home to see what parking is like on the roads etc

[Edited on 16-11-2012 by whitter45]
James

16th Nov 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Whitter. You could have a 1900s house that has just been refurbished to a very high standard. Or a 10 year old property that still has the original generic kitchen and bathroom that every property was built with back then.

I know what I'd rather have in that scenario.
John

16th Nov 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no answer to that.

It obviously depends on area, price, taste, a million other things, then the specific house within all of the other criteria.
AndyKent

16th Nov 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1950s round here are usually middle-ground tat. No design, but poorly insulated. Lose-lose.

New-build can be good, but I'd go with something 10-15 years old so all the niggles have been sorted.

My flat is 1901 and I love the period features. Bit chilly with a lack of wall insulation, but its a bit quirky and unique.

Once you start going backwards towards pre-1850s they all get a bit drafty, lack of space, poor conversions etc.

Turn of the century for me in an ideal world.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Nov 12 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd still consider early 90s onwards as new build, don't think much has changed in terms of their construction and they all suffer from the same things.

That said, I went out with a girl whose dream it was to live here - http://goo.gl/maps/K6hcn

Parking would be a nightmare and they were build 1900s I think.

Also things like neighbours etc. and there being more community in older places, round the corner from mine were built in 2005 and they have parties all the time. Not sure if you can see this but they closed one of the car parks to the town houses for the Jubilee and got pissed. There's an old pond there that the builders weren't allowed to remove, so they've jazzed it up and its now the centre of that little community.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151246720850991

I certainly wouldn't choose anonymous looking 1950s semis over those on the pretence that it'd be a nicer house in a nicer area. Those houses are probably cheaper to heat as well.
Gaz

16th Nov 12 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new builds (imo) are shit, you get no money or land for the value of the house.
Lee_fr200

17th Nov 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm buying a house that was built in 1988 (considered newish) and the amount of work it needs is unbelievable! I would personally prefer an older house like a cottage beamed ceilings real fires them sort of houses have character tbh
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My first flat was a 1960's ex council maisonette. Did it up and sold it on after 2 years. Certainly isn't where I pictured myself living but had to get on with it to get the equity for deposit to move to a nicer area.

Now living in a 1980's 2 bed house that is actually smaller than the maisonette but costs a lot more because of the area. Again had to start from scratch and do it all up.

If plans go correctly, Next step on the ladder will be a three bed in the same area within 2 years.

Going from your choices i'd be on the look out for a 20-40 year old prop that has double glazing and a decent heating system.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also personally i'd steer clear of new builds. You only have to drive round the estates they build nowadays to see. No parking, cars everywhere, houses squashed in everywhere, small gardens, higher deposits and negative equity.

Nice to move straight in and put the kettle on though.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
M2RTY

18th Nov 12 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a newbuild 8 months ago, culdesac, plenty of parking, decent garden, 11 acer park to the rear, shopping part with restaurants, pub, coop etc, real community spirit, have a ranger we pay for who looks after the park and land etc, built by a local company and all streets are named after the railway engineers of Darlington, good sense of history, park has a load of statues and peices of trains etc

Thats the only type of nee build i would have tho, looked at ones built on old schools, wasteland in town centres etc and felt cramped. We are about 3 miles out of town and 1mile from a1 so perfect location, quiet, feels like a village sometimes. Every house is different, no 2 the same, have the companys initials "b a" on wind veins on the 3 story houses, head stones above some houses, gates, bridges etc...

Ofher house was 1930s bland semi, town centre, noisy, bit rougher than here, heating it cost a fortune, massive drive and garden though, boxy design with a lot of wasted space
antscorsa

18th Nov 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a huge fan of new builds as there is no character to them.
Mine dates back to 1860 and it makes for an interesting read about its history etc
SXI - Matt

18th Nov 12 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just moved in to our new build, for me it was the right choice as didnt need any money spending on it obviously as was all new, we have a 5 year gaurentee and any little problem they are straight round to fix sort ect.

It did how ever take some time and effort to find the right place our estate is very spacious in the fact tht they haven't crammed houses in every were they can and there is ample parking only the odd car parked on the actual roads.

That said some people prefer old building with more 'character' I personally prefer newer modern buildings

I'd Definatly say go and look at every possible option and see what you your self prefer, you'll soon no what's right for you, I wouldn't change our choice one bit.

Good luck either way best feeling ever when you finally get in
mattk

18th Nov 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id never even consider a new build. they are utter utter shite. better with summat around the 50s imo. the older the better for me though
Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We live in a 6 year old house and its shocking. I can hear the girl next door telling him exactly how hard to fuck her...

The house we are moving to is 60s and had brick walls internally, the house we lived in before was the same (30s).

Given the choice if parking wasnt an issue, it'd be Victorian all day long.
mattk

19th Nov 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pre 1850s I find can be a bit flimsy and subside a bit. Then the industrial revolution came and brought the terraced house. I absolutly love victorian terraced houses, the more original features the better for me, I am obsessed with them. the 20s and 30`s houses are much the same but with a bit more space, 40s & 50s are really the ones to go for, they normaly have a drive, big rooms, upstairs bathroom and that. 60s still arnt too bad but the £1000 shacks started to be built then. 70s & 80s are fucking shocking, built at a cost when no real building regulations where in force, 90s - the present are better due to the building regs but still nowhere near the standard they should be. they are very well insulated, but thats about it

Im not a fan of new houses being air tight, its like living in a plastic bag, we need some ventilation and air changes in houses imo

we have
Whittie

19th Nov 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm clueless as to what to go for, i'd rather something older and less desirable that I could do up rather than something new.

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
We live in a 6 year old house and its shocking. I can hear the girl next door telling him exactly how hard to fuck her...

Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With 70s and 80s houses it depends on te builder. The house I grew up in was 70s but was built by a builder who was renowned for building right, do everything was brick and everything was a decent size
RichR
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything pre '60s for me purely down to build materials and adaptability as well as plot sizes.

I bought a terrible 60s house in that it hadn't been touched since it was built but it was solid and came on a plot of land which gave me a sizeable garden and plenty of off street parking as well as the ability to appreciate the value whereas the 80s,90s and 00s houses I was looking at were comparatively tiny and had no land with maybe one allocated parking space when comparing asking price to asking price.

Had I had bought any of the 80s,90s or 00s houses I looked at when I bought mine, I would undoubtedly be in negative equity now. Whereas, even though mine is a building site, it has appreciated in value anyway
M2RTY

19th Nov 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have block interior walls on our new build, garage links us so no noises at all, next door have a dog and cant hear it etc. my mates taylor wimpy house is shocking though

Thin townhouses you can hear more too as only 1 room spans the width of the house

We have vents on wall windows to get ventilation, always left open

My 1930s house was cold, had damp, and took ages to warm, never live in one again
SXI - Matt

21st Nov 12 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
We have block interior walls on our new build, garage links us so no noises at all, next door have a dog and cant hear it etc. my mates taylor wimpy house is shocking though

Thin townhouses you can hear more too as only 1 room spans the width of the house

We have vents on wall windows to get ventilation, always left open

My 1930s house was cold, had damp, and took ages to warm, never live in one again

Same as mine quite as any think and really good build quality but as you say depends on builders we looked at some and i could hear the sales team next door talking in the other house, this one nothing personally wouldn't change it for any think

New Poll