corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How stressful is it being a FTB!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How stressful is it being a FTB!
Brabus

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found a property, its a new build 2 Bed semi. Is on the shared ownership scheme, we will be buying the most they will let us to start with(50%) with option to purchase the other 50% after 6 months. Applied for the mortgage with Britannia(as i work there and so get staff rate 3% fixed for life with no arrangement fee).

The have come back to us today and said they will lend us the money at 75% LTV, we have saved 15% over the last year or so to put down....but we now have to try and find £14k!

I dont see how they can expect FTB's to find that sort of money up front but thats life i suppose.
James

23rd Apr 09 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3% fixed for life staff rate

When I worked at Barclays their staff rate was shit.
Brabus

23rd Apr 09 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be alright if they wernt such tight arses at lending
Ojc

23rd Apr 09 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is more or less what they said to us, Leeds Building Society said we needed to raise another 2k, we already stumped up 8k by this point and decided that if they want to make what is supposed to be an easier way to get on the ladder really fucking difficult then what's the point?

We will save another 10k now and buy go down the normal mortgage route.

Fucking ludicrious.

[Edited on 23-04-2009 by Ojc]
dannymccann

24th Apr 09 at 05:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are doing same as Ojc as well, renting and saving at the same time, looking to get around 25% or more deposit then when everything is a bit more liquid again going to get some silly small % mortgage and have more disposable income when we need it most (house repairs / kids shit like that)
Brabus

24th Apr 09 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
That is more or less what they said to us, Leeds Building Society said we needed to raise another 2k, we already stumped up 8k by this point and decided that if they want to make what is supposed to be an easier way to get on the ladder really fucking difficult then what's the point?

We will save another 10k now and buy go down the normal mortgage route.

Fucking ludicrious.

[Edited on 23-04-2009 by Ojc]

Exactly mate, we got 15% together which when your both 22 is a lot of money, we then opted for the shared ownership to further help us get a property and they still turn round and say they want more. How on earth do they expect to get the industry moving again when they wont lend money to people who can clearly afford.
Ian W

24th Apr 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been saving for ages to try and get a mortgage but i've given up now and Im going to rent for a while.

Even with saving the majority of my salary every month I can't hope to get 20% + on my own, going to give it a few years, add to my savings slowly and try and again in about 5 years I think.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

24th Apr 09 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's the lenders being tight?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Brabus

24th Apr 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, i think they have all had there arse's bitten and are now scared to lend to anyone without a 90% deposit
ENB

24th Apr 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, 25% sounds reasonable for giving you such a good rate.
Brabus

24th Apr 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lending criteria is the same for customers as it is for staff. if i had applied for the customer rate of 6.76% i would be in the same situation.
whitter45

28th Apr 09 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest its not lenders being tight

they are protectign themselves as this is why the conuntry is in the state its in
ENB

28th Apr 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brabus
Lending criteria is the same for customers as it is for staff. if i had applied for the customer rate of 6.76% i would be in the same situation.

It's still doesn't seem unreasonable.

Are you suggesting you should have preferential acceptance as well a preferential rate?
Robbo

28th Apr 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the amounts they are demanding form FTB are compeltely unreasonable and unrealistic
X 60RSA

28th Apr 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day, annoying as it maybe for folk struggling to get on the property ladder, if you can save what they ask for, it will be worth while. You'd prob never save 15k for example, damn good achievement if you do it.

I put 15k down on my house last year, , i've now lost that 15k due to the current situation, well not lost it as such but if i had to remortgage now i'd maybe be struggling to remortgage. BUT in saying that, halifax's standard variable rate is lower than my fixed rate, nevermind!

I've got another 2yrs left until i look to remortgage, fingers crossed i'll be ok.

Brabus

29th Apr 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ENB
quote:
Originally posted by Brabus

It's still doesn't seem unreasonable.

Are you suggesting you should have preferential acceptance as well a preferential rate?

Not at all, that was in response to you implying that the lending criteria was different according to the rate offered,

'To be honest, 25% sounds reasonable for giving you such a good rate.

I was simply correcting you to say this is not the case, i wasnt implying whether it was right or wrong. What i am saying is that the government and lenders should do more to help FTB's get a mortgage whilst house prices are at a low.
ENB

29th Apr 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, I wasn't trying to imply that. Just saying it's a good rate and if I was in that position I wouldn't mind finding 25% to get it.

25% on the other hand is a lot though. I only put down 5% last year as it was all I could afford, but my rate is not as good as the one you're talking about (it's around 6%, fixed for 5 years).
Brabus

29th Apr 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As of 20 mins ago the Britannia is now the Co-operative....therefore that rate may be subject to change anyway

New Poll