corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » TV and Hidden Wires

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TV and Hidden Wires
fiestakidda

User status: Offline
20th Feb 11 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know how much a builder would charge to hang a tv in a wall and cutting holes for running the wires through a fireplace/plaster board wall?
John

20th Feb 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure a builder would do it
AndyKent

20th Feb 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any general handyman should be able to.

As a complete estimate I'd say £100-150 should cover it.

Easy enough job to do yourself though so long as you're happy to make a bit of a mess and decorate afterwards.
dannymccann

20th Feb 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it simply a case of chiselling a 'trench' in the wall, using one of those grommet things they use for the sky cables to come in from outside so it tidy and then filling the trench / repainting or am I missing some massive point here, as its something I might want to do in the future as well, I HATE wires
AndyKent

20th Feb 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much, yeah. Chase out space for a plastic duct, tidy the entrance and exit holes top and bottom, replaster over duct.

Don't bed cables in the wall without a duct else you'll never get them out again (or new cables in) without hacking the wall apart.
John

20th Feb 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's an actual brick wall, which I doubt Danny or fietakidda has from the link he posted in another thread, it's easy (probably)

Hole behind the TV, another where you want them to come out, as long as there's no dwang it's easy.

For instance in my bedroom, I've got a couple of cables that come down from the loft in the middle of the wall, go down to sky box etc, then some back from sky box up to the tv.
AndyKent

20th Feb 11 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, I read fireplace and assumed brickwork.
A2H GO

20th Feb 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine when I moved in last year, its a new build and the plasterboard is so tight to the blockwork you can't even fit an aerial cable down without the end on.

Eventually got all my wires down by cutting out the full section of plasterboard, wires in and then glueing the section of board back in but the wires were literally stuck. 12 months later I got a new TV and so had to rip it all out to find I no longer used the scart and xbox component and needed to put in a few extra HDMI's and an optical.

Done a proper job now and channelled the block work out and put some trunking in off ebay. I got my mate whos a plasterer to come round and skim over then re-wallpapered.

If i have any advice its do it properly the first time. I can now take wires in an out easily....but decided to keep the new TV on its stand on the cabinet in the end. :lol

Unless your mounting it about 1.5ft off the floor so its at eye level when seated it looks much better on a stand.

[Edited on 20-02-2011 by A2H GO]
John

20th Feb 11 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If houses are built like that my way won't work, I thought all modern houses would have been built like this one, obviously not.
Jake

22nd Feb 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with new houses you can tell what day of the week it was by the state of the blockwork
jungle

22nd Feb 11 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

friday being the worse pmsl

should see the tricks builders do just to get finished early on a friday lol

New Poll