corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99
big eck

User status: Offline
12th Dec 13 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was chatting to a guy last night about the problems I had with my cars misfire and he suggested it was probably down to the fuel I was using that clogged up the injectors.

I use momentum 99 and he told me that Vpower was the best on the market as its actually made with a proper higher octane where as the tesco stuff is just standard unleaded with octane boosted additive added into it.

He works for shell so I'm not sure if he's just being biased lol.

Anyone know if this is true or not???
Gaz

12th Dec 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was told all regular fuel was exactly the same, regardless of weather it was shell or a supermarket. I assume this also is the same for premium fuels too otherwise there would be specific fuels designed for specific cars.
For example, my Fabia needs to have a specific PD oil otherwise (like I have just experienced) the internals (camshaft for me) destroys itself, but you don't see company's designing better fuels to gain further performance.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Gaz]
Steve
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think hes talking shit myself
big eck

12th Dec 13 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinkin the same Steve. Isn't there a car that uses momentum only in the btcc???
Jambo

12th Dec 13 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fith Gear did a test and IIRC they said it was piss too. Certainly made my Jeep run like shit.

They said basically Vpower and Esso Ultimate are the only two worth the bother.
big eck

12th Dec 13 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just looked at that test and tesco 99 wasn't even in the test. It was asdas own standard unleaded.
tom130691
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vpower is probably much better developed and had alot more work in to it than the momentum,

just get some 100 octain avgas for planes
Robin
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Fith Gear did a test and IIRC they said it was piss too. Certainly made my Jeep run like shit.

They said basically Vpower and Esso Ultimate are the only two worth the bother.

Fifth gear, hosted by Jason Plato who drives for MG KX Momentum racing said it was shit?
Jambo

12th Dec 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently not Robin
Robin
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to say, that would have been quite something!
Daimo B

12th Dec 13 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always found the vxr had major flat spots on unleaded, less flat spots but not totally smooth with tesco 99, but with vpower it didn't have any flat spots in the whole rev range.

At Snetterton old track, it also ran quickest on the back straight with vpower on the speedo.

I've used it in NA engines and didn't find any real difference between them. May work better on a tuned engine.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Daimo B]
Ash5

12th Dec 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI
ed

12th Dec 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V-Power and Momentum are the only fuels with a high enough RON to run in cars which specify super only. The other stuff all seems to be 97 which isn't enough if the OEM is saying you need 98.
taylorboosh

12th Dec 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meh run the evo on 97
big eck

12th Dec 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ash5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI

That's still not viable is it. Momentum 99 isn't on the test
Ojc

12th Dec 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Momentum is getting a lot of bad reviews of late
Rich H

12th Dec 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know factual in's & out's but I run my M3 on both depending on which I'm closest to at filling up time and don't notice any real world differences. That said, my Mini used to feel smoother on Momtentun than V Power...
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon 9/10 of my fillups are Momentum with the other one in ten being VPower, depending on where I am or where I'm going.

The topic came up when I was getting my car mapped, and the mapper said the two were pretty much even - but given the choice he'd use VPower because they use some "better" additives... not sure exactly what those are though.

I'm pretty sure the Octane comment is bullshit, and they are both "natively" 99RON but who knows...

This topic never ends in a unanimous or scientific result, but one thing that I've found consistently (right up until Jambo's comment above ) is that VPower and Momentum are the "best" with BP, Esso, Total etc coming in joint last due to their lower octane rating.

I'm sure everybody knows somebody who's blown an engine up on XX fuel or got more MPG on YY fuel or did a faster laptop on ZZ fuel... but there are so many variables, it's almost impossible to test.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like a never ending circle of bullshit, some tells the internet that something has "better" additives, the internet then tells someone else, who then tells someone in real life who then tells the internet etc etc. In actual fact, no one knows what additives are added to anything
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Its like a never ending circle of bullshit, some tells the internet that something has "better" additives, the internet then tells someone else, who then tells someone in real life who then tells the internet etc etc. In actual fact, no one knows what additives are added to anything

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

12th Dec 13 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got slightly better mpg with momentum in the boxster over vpower, noticed absolutely no difference in performance or 'lumpy engine' shit that no doubt someone will come out with.
Nic Barnes

12th Dec 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never noticed a shit of difference running either fuels in my corsa. it doesn't like to run on normal unleaded however at all.
Jerham

12th Dec 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few people on UKSaabs forum use paint thinners as an additive, high volume of toluene and acetone in it. About 5-10% mixed with petrol.
Skylined

12th Dec 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always ran my Evo on VPower.

I take all the sales hype with a pinch of salt but out of the choice of a company who's main business is to produce fuel and one who sells groceries I know which I'd rather have a punt with.

Plus when it's only an extra £2.50 in a £70 tank to put high octane in it's pretty negligible. I bought it to put a smile on my face which it certainly does, not to penny pinch on fuel.
corsadonk
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EVO did a test ages ago, back when it was Optimax I think it was 97RON back then. It had a bit more power than Tesco but BP was better at the time. I think they tested it on a Golf GTI and a M5 and it didn't make any difference to the BMW.

I thought Tesco had Bio fuel added to it, to get the Octane rating up.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99 23 database queries in 0.1941221 seconds