corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99
Gaz

User status: Offline
12th Dec 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radio 2 had an article on tonight that was talking about diesel having lots of biodeisel and causing fuel filters to fuck up because it acts like a gel.
The issue they said was not related to any specific fuel supplier as they are all they same[\b]
craig8
Premium Member

12th Dec 13 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Skylined
I take all the sales hype with a pinch of salt but out of the choice of a company who's main business is to produce fuel and one who sells groceries I know which I'd rather have a punt with.

You realise tesco are just the retailer? The same company who supply tesco also supply esso

E36 328
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

13th Dec 13 at 00:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jerham
A few people on UKSaabs forum use paint thinners as an additive, high volume of toluene and acetone in it. About 5-10% mixed with petrol.

Stupid idea. Chap did it in his Volvo on my industrial estate. Ended up ruining pretty much the whole fueling system. Ate through the seals AFAICR

To me I'd say there's not much of a real world difference between the 2 fuels though. I'm sure they do have different additives and all that shit. But I'm sure it won't make the blindest bit of actual difference given a real world test.
Diesle on the other hand.... Now there's a hell of a difference between tescos derv and shells or bp's derv. Not sure if they add stuff or don't add stuff. But either way. Tesco derv is a load of fucking shite.
John

13th Dec 13 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never noticed any difference between any type of diesel, including vpower.
P1CK4D

13th Dec 13 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always use Tesco momentum in my Evo so I earn more clubcard points
Bonney

13th Dec 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Radio 2 had an article on tonight that was talking about diesel having lots of biodeisel and causing fuel filters to fuck up because it acts like a gel.
The issue they said was not related to any specific fuel supplier as they are all they same[\b]

That's what knackered my fuel pump on my golf then. Was filling up at Tesco & Morrisons as they are on my way home from work.
Jerham

13th Dec 13 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
quote:
Originally posted by Jerham
A few people on UKSaabs forum use paint thinners as an additive, high volume of toluene and acetone in it. About 5-10% mixed with petrol.

Stupid idea. Chap did it in his Volvo on my industrial estate. Ended up ruining pretty much the whole fueling system. Ate through the seals AFAICR

To me I'd say there's not much of a real world difference between the 2 fuels though. I'm sure they do have different additives and all that shit. But I'm sure it won't make the blindest bit of actual difference given a real world test.
Diesle on the other hand.... Now there's a hell of a difference between tescos derv and shells or bp's derv. Not sure if they add stuff or don't add stuff. But either way. Tesco derv is a load of fucking shite.

Only stupid if you use too much. Only 5-10%. Lots of people use it with out a problems. Reduces knock so its actually got a benefit.
Gaz

13th Dec 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

That's what knackered my fuel pump on my golf then. Was filling up at Tesco & Morrisons as they are on my way home from work.

The only issue is that although they are all giving out this shit fuel, we apparently are not allowed to claim back from the fuel refineries!
SVM 286

13th Dec 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
I was chatting to a guy last night about the problems I had with my cars misfire and he suggested it was probably down to the fuel I was using that clogged up the injectors.

I use momentum 99 and he told me that Vpower was the best on the market as its actually made with a proper higher octane where as the tesco stuff is just standard unleaded with octane boosted additive added into it.

He works for shell so I'm not sure if he's just being biased lol.

Anyone know if this is true or not???

Couldn't comment on the technical aspect, but with the exception of the few times I tried the Tesco 99 stuff in the V8 and a few occasions when i've been desperately low on fuel and had no choice but to use whatever was nearest, i've used Shell exclusively for over twenty years now Eck.

Mainly because the RS ran best on their 4 Star leaded and when it was phased out, their Super unleaded was the best alternative available. And it was noticeable.

But also because I have had a number of cars that have all behaved better, running on Shell fuel.

Shell is also, always the cheapest round my way and anywhere near it. So it's a no brainer really.

I always use Shell and I always used their Super variant (whatever they we're calling it on any given day) in the RS, the V8. And if I could afford it, in anything that was older (carb) and likely to pink otherwise.

I was always very cagey re Tesco fuel after the silicon contamination issue and avoided them after that and still do. Plus they're dearer than Shell
Steve
Premium Member

13th Dec 13 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who do you use?
Edges 58

14th Dec 13 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any normal fuel makes my car run shit, tesco 99 and vpower are good. Get slightly better mpg on vpower but after changing my job I dont go past a shell anymore so tesco is used
deano87

14th Dec 13 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
I was chatting to a guy last night about the problems I had with my cars misfire and he suggested it was probably down to the fuel I was using that clogged up the injectors.

I use momentum 99 and he told me that Vpower was the best on the market as its actually made with a proper higher octane where as the tesco stuff is just standard unleaded with octane boosted additive added into it.

He works for shell so I'm not sure if he's just being biased lol.

Anyone know if this is true or not???

I reckon there is some truth in it.

When dad has his E46 M3 (SMGII) he used to put Sainsburys Super Unleaded it. It kept having flat spots and generally running a bit shite. Took it to BMW and went out with a technician. He asked what fuel dad was using. Dad explained, and he suggested doing a few fill ups on Shell V Power before booking it in for work.

Shell V Power cured the problem!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Dec 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

In terms of what? Power?
As above you probably won't be able to tell the difference in power with any fuel in the real world unless it's getting flat spots and that

Tesco derv is shite. Out taxi's have been banned from using it otherwise they have to pay for there own fuel filters and so on

It doesn't sleep or look right, when it burns the stench from the exhaust is unreal. It's just not right. As I'm no scientist. I don't know wether they put the wrong additives in. Or no additives or what ever. But there's a reason it's so cheap. Because it's shite
Daimo B

14th Dec 13 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
4 star leaded and when it was phased out, their Super unleaded was the best alternative available. And it was noticeable.

But also because I have had a number of cars that have all behaved better, running on Shell fuel.

Im kinda waiting for the new generation to ask what 4 Star fuel is, or 2 Star

I'm with you I think Shell is the best. I try never to buy BP, mainly due to the lies they told in the 80's about bringing fuel costs down. Most expensive f**kers out there, still...
DaveyLC

14th Dec 13 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
I was told all regular fuel was exactly the same, regardless of weather it was shell or a supermarket. I assume this also is the same for premium fuels too otherwise there would be specific fuels designed for specific cars.
For example, my Fabia needs to have a specific PD oil otherwise (like I have just experienced) the internals (camshaft for me) destroys itself, but you don't see company's designing better fuels to gain further performance.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Gaz]

^^^^ This is true..

Fuels are refined to very stringent standards, its all the same shit, the companies cant just 'piss about' and add stuff/change things.
Daimo B

14th Dec 13 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Course they can . There will be a standard they have to meet as a legal requirement, but they can add what they want. The fuel isn't the same, nor will it comes from the same hole in the ground.

It'll be refined, shipped, and adjusted. Fuel in Shell, won't be the same chemical makeup as fuel from Esso. Similar yes, but the same, no.

[Edited on 14-12-2013 by Daimo B]
John

14th Dec 13 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

In terms of what? Power?
As above you probably won't be able to tell the difference in power with any fuel in the real world unless it's getting flat spots and that

Tesco derv is shite. Out taxi's have been banned from using it otherwise they have to pay for there own fuel filters and so on

It doesn't sleep or look right, when it burns the stench from the exhaust is unreal. It's just not right. As I'm no scientist. I don't know wether they put the wrong additives in. Or no additives or what ever. But there's a reason it's so cheap. Because it's shite

Power, mpg, running or anything else.

Last paragraph is just rubbish.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Dec 13 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

In terms of what? Power?

Power, mpg, running or anything else.

Last paragraph is just rubbish.

Clearly isn't though. I work in a garage and run 35 taxis out of said garage. All but one are dervs and as soon as they come in you can smell the difference if there running tesco shite.
Why do you think tesco can just sell it dirt cheap? Clearly isn't the same quality as anyone else's.
Same as tesco value products
John

14th Dec 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1p less than shell isn't dirt cheap.

When they have promotions on and it's a few p cheaper, it's a loss leader to get people into the store, they don't really care about selling fuel.

That's exactly how they can sell it 'dirt cheap'.
micra_pete
Premium Member

14th Dec 13 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a relatively high performance Japanese import that must be run on high octane fuel.

I use either shell or Tesco - whatever is nearest - and both run exactly the same, to me at least.
D0NN3R

15th Dec 13 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shell fuel is better it has additives to clean out injectors and that would never use supermarket fuels as there cheap for a reason

Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 13 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes as John said its cheap to act as a loss leader there is no difference in normal fuel from supermarkets and normal fuel from shell. Tesco is esso anyway

http://ask.metafilter.com/131490/Mythbust-supermarket-petrol-for-me-please
garethestate

15th Dec 13 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All this shit doesn't bother me. Farmfoods veg oil has served me well.
Dave

15th Dec 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Yes as John said its cheap to act as a loss leader there is no difference in normal fuel from supermarkets and normal fuel from shell. Tesco is esso anyway

http://ask.metafilter.com/131490/Mythbust-supermarket-petrol-for-me-please

Tesco is Esso when it's an Esso petrol station with a Tesco Express attached, this is different from Tesco petrol stations.

Tescos 99 isn't Esso, it is, or at least was, from a firm called Greenergy.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 13 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main Tesco store here was filling up via an Esso tanker the other day

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell Vpower vs Tesco momentum 99 23 database queries in 0.1014600 seconds