corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
20th Apr 16 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by anthcorsa
loving the updates, those breaks look class behind those wheels.

Cheers mate they do look nice
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

20th Apr 16 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They r8 calipers with ttrs discs?
dewismotorsport

20th Apr 16 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
They r8 calipers with ttrs discs?

There Audi RS6 discs and calipers, 356x34mm and 8 pot Brembos with custom brackets and modded discs
dewismotorsport

21st Apr 16 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished off the removable slam panel mounts and gave them a quick dust of paint

Removed the old tailgate, not the lightest at 16kg vs the lightened version of 11.3kg

New boot lid on, almost a shame to add aero catches

However my BTCC carbon spoiler has arrived so that's going on once I've made the adjustable mounts up

Finished item will look like this fitted
Mark.W

23rd Apr 16 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those brakes are monstrous

[Edited on 23-04-2016 by Mark.W]
dewismotorsport

25th Apr 16 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W

Those brakes are monstrous

[Edited on 23-04-2016 by Mark.W]

Yeah there pretty big tbf 365mm x 34mm Brembo 8 pots
dewismotorsport

28th Apr 16 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start in stripping the interior, pulled all un needed wires from the rear loom to the front ready for trimming. Started drilling out the spot welds for the original seat mounts but soon got bored so got the heat gun and scraper out and whipped up all the tar sound deadening.

Bagged it all up and got 15.3kg's worth with a tiny bit left under the dash so I reckon 15.5kg total which of a decent weight saving.

I'd ordered some 3" bass ports to modify as brake duct feeds

Trimmed the bumper trim down and cut the tabs off the ports and siliconed them in

Trimmed the spot light brackets off and removed the factory brake duct feeds

And re fitted

Fitted and balanced up the dry track tyres to my other pro race 1.2's

Marked up which brackets I wanted to trim off the radiator which aren't used

So that I could fit my corsa's old forge intercooler

Fits nicely behind the bumper bar, I'll trim a bit more out of the bar to add flow

Bumper will have a couple more holes added where the Velcro tape currently is

I've decided to go for a intercooler because on track the standard charge cooler doesn't keep the intake temps down low enough and for a 40 minute race which I will be doing I will struggle as i've hit the map cut before and it saps about 50bhp once the intake temps get to around 63 degrees C. With the intercooler it will never get that high. I will be modding the inlet soon to change it to run air to air.
dewismotorsport

25th May 16 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a lot on lately so not got loads done but I've still been chipping away at it, fitted the quick shift to the box after I'd copied it of course

What's possibly been the worst job so far was drilling out the 208 spot welds to remove the seat bars and rear seat brackets. Managed to save 16kg, not as much as I'd of liked but it all adds up.

Moved onto gutting the doors, removed all the loom, window mechanism and frames, saved 20kg per door so that's a good weight saving, the doors are very well made with lots of support inside so even with all the insides gutted they are still rock solid. Standard weight of a door is a whopping 40kg's each

I'm toying with the idea of gutting the rear 1/4 panels as once cage is in strength in that area will be improved
dewismotorsport

25th May 16 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my first race in the Armed Forces Race Challenge (AFRC) at Croft race circuit, had mixed fortunes with the car, I was using the works 206 gti (140bhp & 1100kg) unfortunately the car didn't turn up in the best shape with various issues including failing brake master cylinder, 1mm of pad left on the rear brakes and the wrong wheel bolts to name a few, so my test day was cut short by having to fix various issues, rear pads, wheel bolts and a re bleed was done but just had to put up with a awful brake pedal feel. During testing I had a huge off coming into sunny in corner, it's after a series of flat out in 4th corners, got it into a 4 wheel slide after bancroft corner and was fast approaching the braking zone, onto the brakes and the back snapped round chucking me into the grass and I was just a passenger then as the car span over the grass and back onto the track then onto the grass the other side narrowly missing a MR2.

All set up and ready for the race in the paddock

The other team locost suffered a failed roll pin in the gearbox but we got that fixed and back out for qualifying

The race is a 40 minute race with a mandatory 1 minute pit stop, can be either a single driver or in my case a shared drive so both drivers have to qualify.

My partner had a big off at the same place as me but went into the tyre wall

Had to use my qualifying time to repair it and get it back through scrutineering before I could get three hot laps to get my qualifying done.

Do to qualify out of the allotted track group I had to start at the back of the grid for the race, but got a decent start and peddled it round and bag myself a 1st in class (class C 140bhp per ton)

Also between us we bagged a 2nd in class for the car

Looking forward to the next round at Snetterton 300 in July, really need to get my own car done though.
Jed D

26th May 16 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome update mate, you doing pv again?
dewismotorsport

26th May 16 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
awesome update mate, you doing pv again?

Cheers Jed, yeah I'm coming with the lad again, camping over, you and your family coming?
dewismotorsport

8th Jun 16 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So decided to remove the rear section so got the plasma cutter and spot weld drill out and got cracking

Just under 7kg saved on that part

And then removed all the brackets and saved another 3.5kg nearly

All done bar the bit under the window which I will remove once the glass is out. Also cut the rear quarter metal out while I was at it.
dewismotorsport

6th Jul 16 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided I couldn't live with the carbon bonnet as I didn't like the fit or vent so cut a bit out the standard and re fitted

Loads better

Bought myself a boss kit so I could fit my dished omp wheel from the corsa

Trial fitted

Stripped the dash out and ditched the heater box (10kg) and the rest of the sound deadening, the dash bar will have the pick ups welded on for the steering column, I need to thin that loom down of the non essentials and just remove the remaining brackets off the A pillars.

Got work to order in loads of CDS tube to make the seat rails and cage

Decided to help the rocker cover breath better as on track it gets worked hard. Ground the alloy retainers off and removed the splash guard to see the set up, I forgot to take a pic before but this is stripped and the plastic breather vents removed from the two sections nearest the filler cap.

The exhaust side breathes through the front small breather but the pcv breathes through the front middle hole, the one nearest to the oil cap was also heavily breathed so I decided to trim the splash guard down to divide the two

I sealed off the two sections so they don't breath together, left all plastic breather vents out and drilled a 13mm hole between the two heavy breathing parts. Fully sealed the smaller section I cut off and Trimmed off the oil cap section

I welded a cut down -10 barb fitting over the hole and fully sealed everything

Fitting welded on, that will go to the catch tank as well as the small breather pipe

Quick dust of paint and that will do. If it works happy days if it doesn't I just fit one of my spares and re think
Generation

6th Jul 16 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But. Did you seal it?
dewismotorsport

6th Jul 16 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
But. Did you seal it?

I said it 3 times so I must of
anthcorsa

6th Jul 16 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice updates mate!! Glad to see this projects still alive
dewismotorsport

7th Jul 16 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by anthcorsa
Nice updates mate!! Glad to see this projects still alive

Cheers mate, I'm still plodding on with it but I'm just so busy in work I struggle for time
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jul 16 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting
anthcorsa

7th Jul 16 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many kilos in total have you shed on this?
dewismotorsport

12th Jul 16 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The breather mod is still a bit of a grey area on these engines Chris, this is my take on it and I'm hoping I'm right ha ha

I'm hoping between 230-250kg of the standard full road trim car.
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Jul 16 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im hoing to remove the cam chain guide plug on the side and make that into a breather. Straight out and into a bottle.
dewismotorsport

12th Jul 16 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Im hoing to remove the cam chain guide plug on the side and make that into a breather. Straight out and into a bottle.

I tried that on the astra but it's too tight against the engine mount
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Jul 16 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have masses of room.
Jed D

13th Jul 16 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice work as per usual mate... about time someone gutted one of these right out. stunning but heavy cars.
whats plan for the windows on the doors? are you going to make a frame for perspex to sit on or something??
dewismotorsport

13th Jul 16 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
nice work as per usual mate... about time someone gutted one of these right out. stunning but heavy cars.
whats plan for the windows on the doors? are you going to make a frame for perspex to sit on or something??

Cheers mate, yeah they are really heavy cars but well made. I'm going to make a brace for the corner of the window so it's not floppy

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.1166098 seconds