corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Sep 16 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where did you get the wheel bags at that price? Very interested in a set!
dewismotorsport

15th Sep 16 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They were just off ebay mate
dewismotorsport

16th Sep 16 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted the front and rear tow wires, there's rumours that this may be manitory for next season so fitted the required two up front and two at the rear. The fronts are M14 bolts straight through the subframe and rears are M10 and using inserts to stop the chassis legs squishing.

Once the rear black section of the bumper is removed to help air escape from behind the bumper (I've removed the wheel well) the wire will poke through that section

Welded some brackets to the subframe and crash bar to hold the intercooler and modded the oil cooler brackets to fit also

Bumper on and all clears nicely. Will spray the cooler black to keep it stealth looking, but need to make some air guides for the sides so all the air going through the bumper goes into the coolers and not around the sides
dewismotorsport

25th Oct 16 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bit of progress at last! Made myself some seat mount brackets

Drivers seat rails set, took plenty of time on this as there is nothing worse than having a bad seating position in a track/race car. I've raised the front rails slightly higher as it allows the seat to tuck under my legs and support them.

Seat fitted with plenty of fine adjustment still available

Mounted the battery and fire extingusher, will plumb/wire them in at a later date.

I've fitted a passenger seat as I will still be doing track days and I like taking passengers out and also allows me to have tuition when needed.
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 16 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What diameter are the seat tubes? They seem a bit anorexic
dewismotorsport

3rd Nov 16 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
What diameter are the seat tubes? They seem a bit anorexic

25mm x 2.5mm wall thickness CDS tube as per the MSA blue book
dewismotorsport

23rd Nov 16 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally had some time to do the car, so the past few evenings I've made a start on the cage. I'm starting to become short on time for next season, first race is the 18th of March at Donnington. However I go on Xmas leave back home from the 16th of December till the 3rd of Jan and then fly to Norway for 6 weeks a few days later, so once back in the UK I will only have a few weeks to finish it.

First up was the main hoop.

Then made feet bases both sides (120cm square as per msa blue book)

Then onto the A pillar bars, after a few designs this was the best shape I could get as your only allowed two bends in them (unless you run windscreen re enforcement bars. I can't as it would block my side mirrors totally)
Had to offset the bends due to the shape of the coupes roof line

Feet bases made both sides

A and B pillars will have gussets welded on, but nice and parallel

Had to slot the dash top to get it back in, I could now measure where I wanted the dash bar to fit

Dash all cut down and lightened

Dash bar fitted, it's all tight under there but I've made it so I can still have the side vents to clear the windows

Heater box/blower will sit around here

B pillar brace added

Aim is to have it finished inside by end of next week ready for paint.
anthcorsa

24th Nov 16 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great progress bud, I follow you on migweb too. Top work as per..
dewismotorsport

24th Nov 16 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate

[Edited on 24-11-2016 by dewismotorsport]
dewismotorsport

29th Nov 16 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been cracking on after work as times ticking. Wanted to keep the column mount but it needed modding to fit, so chopped it down and re welded it

Test fitted, will make a bracket to bolt to the dash bar, but this mount also bolts to the brake and clutch pedal as standard

Removed the steering lock as there not allowed

Made myself some A and B pillar gussets

Quick sand blast

Front will fit like this once screen is removed

Cut the tacks on the tube to feet so I could move it about so I could get full welds on the hard to reach tube joins. All done and welded fully

Seat fitted, shows good driver protection as I wanted the door bars to cross through the centre of the doors to offer good side impact protection

Fitted the B pillar gussets

And dash chucked back in to check for clearance
dewismotorsport

30th Nov 16 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the crap job of grinding off all the seam sealer from around the rear damper top mounts so I could get to clean metal, quick hoover out and it was time to make some back feet mounts

Both sides welded on

And made up some back stays.

Just got the rear X and harness bars to make and it's done. will get that done Monday
Ad Blue B

1st Dec 16 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome work as usual mate!
Jed D

1st Dec 16 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Blue B
Awesome work as usual mate!

this ^^
dewismotorsport

2nd Dec 16 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads
dewismotorsport

2nd Dec 16 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a friend of a friend out today to take the windows out, only charged £40 and that's to re fit the front screen again after paint so a right bargain.

And got the rest of the cage finished, so much easier without the glass in, God knows why I didn't have them out before hand

Also welded the front gussets on and made one to the centre of the car too, so technically a 11 point cage now
anthcorsa

3rd Dec 16 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Class updates, that cage looks decent mate
dewismotorsport

4th Dec 16 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by anthcorsa
Class updates, that cage looks decent mate [/quote

Cheers mate
dewismotorsport

4th Dec 16 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished the steering coloum mount, rivnut'd the modded mount so that it can still be removed if needed, then welded the top part onto the dash bar

Made some harness eyelets spreader plates, so harness eyelets were drilled and fitted

Then started making probably the most elaborate heater box ever, ah well it will do exactly what I need. tacked the pipes on then bodged some sealant round them and then riveted back to the dash

Then made a new top piece, two pipes feed the side vents for the side windows and the other four do the main windscreen.
Tacked it all up

Riveted it onto the main body and chucked loads of sealant around it, just need to make some mounts for it and some flexible 2" hoses to join it all together

Not pretty but will be mostly hidden and it will get a dust of paint
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 16 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So made some mounts up for the heater box and gave it a quick spray, will probably end up spraying it black though I reckon. Just waiting on the flexable hose and jic fittings to turn up to plumb it in.

This afternoon I went down to my mate and sponsors bodyshop to get the interior painted. we de greased it all and masked it up before they jumped in to paint it.

Quick primer then paint

Loving the colour contrast between the Ford stealth grey and vauxhall Europa blue.
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Dec 16 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the Stealth Grey - looking good so far!
anthcorsa

8th Dec 16 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that colour is amazing mate, mint progress
dewismotorsport

9th Dec 16 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah colour is loverly, gonna do the wheels the same colour too
dewismotorsport

15th Dec 16 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the rebuild starts, taped and tidied the loom and mounted various bits out the way

Painted the heater matrix black and added the jic -12 fittings, also the fittings and hose turned up for the catch tank

Piped all the coolant side and routed the air hoses

Dash fully fitted (will come out again at a later date to get flocked. Won't have time before the first race as I'm away for 6 weeks) shifter back in, will make a larger mount for it to sit higher at a later date, clocks, steering wheel, seat and harness fitted. roll cage padding temp fitted for now.
dewismotorsport

20th Dec 16 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered some polycarbonate sheets off www.plasticsheets.com they cut it to order, I went for 5mm rear screen, 4mm rear sides and 5mm fronts came to £151 delivered which is a bargain as various company's want over £1000 to do the coupe. So within a couple of hours I had the rears all cut to shape ready for the windows man to re seal them. Unfortunately he's busy until new year so will have to wait for now. Will get the fronts done shortly.

Next job was to trim the rear apron down. After removing the spare wheel well I was then left with a back bumper that's acting as a air drag so I cut just over 2"s of metal off and the black section out of the bumper to allow the air to escape

I will re visit this at a later date when I have more time and build a diffuser and remove a fair bit of the rear bumper to allow the air from the back wheels to escape but for now this is enough as time is against me.

Re tracked the front and then lowered the rear by 20mm, this is just a rough ride height setting for now as I still need to corner weight it once finished.

Couldn't help but see what it looked like with the carbon btcc spoiler, just need to make the uprights for that but I love the look.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 16 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you get the special coated stuff for the windscreen as it will get cloudy over time due to small scratches and scuffs etc

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.2038009 seconds