corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  69    70    71    72    73    74    75  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Jambo

User status: Offline
24th Aug 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems odd to deliberately damage your own car when trying to prove a point though?
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Seems odd to deliberately damage your own car when trying to prove a point though?

I think the subtlety is in the wording:

I failed to avoid the contact to prove a point
I made contact to prove a point

I think Nico said/intended to say the first one. He could have (should have) bailed out like Seb did the lap before, but he decided not to.

As a chasing car, you've got more to gain and less to lose (in terms of odds) in this type of contact, plus he's leading the WDC so has got wiggle room.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Will Buxton &#8207;@willbuxton 17s

Confirmation from Merc that the Lewis quotes are accurate, and are a reflection of what is believed to have been said in the meeting

Shitstorm

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

24th Aug 14 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uh oh!
Ben G

24th Aug 14 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would fucking love a 1 race ban for Nico, but that isn't going to happen.

Why would he say that though? It makes no sense? He's basically told the team he will not do whats in the interests of the Team which now means all support will be thrown behind Lewis.
Rob_Quads

24th Aug 14 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watched the highlights and then caught up on the post race news.

What a shit start this is turning into. The management at Merc are VERY unhappy about Nico and if he did then come and say those things then I think he might get a royal kick up the arse.

The big annoyance for Hamilton is he will be thinking thats the 2nd race that Rosberg has directly screwed his race

This is an interesting comment from Wolf

quote:
"If Lewis has said that it's going to be a slap on the wrist and that there's going to be no consequence, then he's not aware of what consequences we can implement," said the Mercedes chief.

[Edited on 24-08-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Ben G

24th Aug 14 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A race ban is what I imagine he's getting at there, although it won't come to that.

They'll just put it across to Rosberg that this ends now. It's one thing ruining another guys quali, but it's absurd to drive dangerously on purpose.

Magnussen drove a bit wreckless against Alonso through what I think is inexperience and got a penalty.
Jambo

24th Aug 14 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what Anthony Doodaa was saying on Sky, if it had been Magnussen Kvyatt etc then they would have lamped him with a penalty. Because its Nico/Mercedes they don't.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure they'll go to a race ban, wonder who would get the seat though... Sam Bird or a promising star from the back of the grid on loan?

I imagine it'll just be employment contract punishment, maybe a fine/salary sacrifice but it's not going to be a sporting penalty, unfortunately.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing for sure, something I said (along with a few others) after Monaco was that Nico has lost his "nice guy" reputation and will not be given the benefit of the doubt in future. I think we've seen evidence of that today, media/team/fans have all jumped on him.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not been paying any attention to Ricciardo's WDC standings... just seen he's only 35points behind Hamilton

It's impossible to consider he might actually win the WDC... or is it?!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I noticed earlier how he's creeping up on the Mercedes. They really cannot afford to be complacent.

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if the RBR pitwall will start asking Seb to move over for DR, if he can ever get in front of DR that is

It's also worrying for Mercedes that RBR won specifically at Canada and Spa, two of the engine tracks on the calendar. Monza is next, so I'd expect them to challenge there too.

However, on genuine pace - I still don't think RBR are close, they're just best of the rest whilst Rosberg keeps failing to convert pole positions.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep in a straight race they wouldn't be challenging. But in terms of taking advantage of slip ups they've been there every time to lap up the bonus points.

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes Williams pretty disappointing really. They've been too passive on strategy, Bottas could have had one or two of those wins IMO.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I expected more from McLaren after Australia too. Been a funny season.

MX5 Project Thread
Jambo

24th Aug 14 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Makes Williams pretty disappointing really. They've been too passive on strategy, Bottas could have had one or two of those wins IMO.

I've said this before, Williams weak point IMO is their often off the wall strategies.

Am I right in thinking it's as quick as/slightly quicker top end than the Mercs?
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's quicker - only through lack of downforce though. I think on Monza, Mercedes can afford to drop more than the other teams so should be competitive through the speedtraps.

Still, Williams have had shots at victory - and have just chosen to match rival strategies rather than try something different, meaning their lack of pace is eventually exposed.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Scotty_B

25th Aug 14 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there video/audio evidence that these quotes are real?
Jambo

25th Aug 14 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it, it was in the Mercedes team meeting debrief following the race. I doubt they film it/record it. Lauda probably took minutes though
JonnyJ

25th Aug 14 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If ever there was a incident that summed up just how unfair F1 can be, that was it. One person, totally at fault, ends up finishing 2nd and extending his championship lead. The other, 100% blameless, gets race ending damage and ends up with a mountain to climb to get back into the championship battle. Just like Monaco. Don't think I've ever witnessed a more frustrating season in terms of one guys 'mistakes' hurting his rival and helping him.

All the right noises coming out of the Mercedes team, it's just a shame that you know nothing they can do will even up what happened here, it's the points that matter and they can't and won't sacrifice what Nico got to help Lewis.

The only thing I can imagine them doing now is calling races early. Maybe they'll do it in monza if Lewis is in front. Maybe they'll tell Rosberg unless he's in front at turn 1, he isn't trusted to make a move, so it's Lewis' race if he makes turn 1 first. Unlikely.

Real shame it's turned out like this. Suppose this is what happens when you let your less skilled driver take on your world class one. Always looked like it could happen and it was always going to be this way round.
Corsa_Sport21

25th Aug 14 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From an un-biased, non fan boy point of view, i think it looked like a genuine mistake from Nico.

Just turned in too early not expecting Lewis's car to be there. Very front of his car caught the very back of Lewis's tyre, what's so hard to not believe that could have been a genuine mistake.

More chance of it ending his race than Lewis's so not sure why he would do it on purpose.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 14 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
not sure why he would do it on purpose.

Nico admitted he did

[Edited on 25-08-2014 by Steve]
Corsa_Sport21

25th Aug 14 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a link to a video??
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 14 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamilton said he did on Video, and team confirmed Lewis's comments were pretty much accurate in statements

<<  69    70    71    72    73    74    75  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.2220149 seconds