corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus 5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus 5
LeeM

User status: Offline
13th Oct 13 at 02:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
5 inch screen too. No way could I live with a 4 inch display now

wont be long until youre using a 10" phone saying you couldnt possibly live with anything less
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else £300 lighter?

Well I'm £600 lighter, his and hers ordered

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

31st Oct 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very low-key announcement and release of the N5 :lol But it certainly looks amazing though
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping to be £339 lighter but it wont process my order! twats!

is anyone selling screen protectors or film comers for the full phone?
John

31st Oct 13 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not had a proper chance to have a look but looks good so far. Price point is excellent again.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ordered
Balling
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice. Definitely a lot of phone for the money.

Also really liking the look of Android 4.4. Google have done a good job og adopting the Metro style and making it their own.
A better job than Apple did, I dare say.

[Edited on 01-11-2013 by Balling]

Steve
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
5 inch screen too. No way could I live with a 4 inch display now

wont be long until youre using a 10" phone saying you couldnt possibly live with anything less

Lol I think we are getting near the limits of what is ergonomically acceptable, however I had a go on my mates 5s and the display simply underwhelmed me, felt like I'd gone back a generation regardless of how good its pixel to inch ratio is. On a screen that small it pretty pointless.

4 inches is just too small for anyone using it for more than ringing people and sending texts.

[Edited on 01-11-2013 by Steve]
Balling
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
4 inches is just too small for anyone using it for more than ringing people and sending texts.
No it's not.

Steve
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is if you're used to 5
mwg

1st Nov 13 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always said it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it that counts
John

1st Nov 13 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Screen on the 5S is too small btw.
LeeM

1st Nov 13 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

again, different devices for different applications. my phone lives in my pocket so i want it to be small with a screen which is acceptable for texting, social media, light web browsing and some apps. tablets and laptops go in bags and have bigger screens for longer web session, videos and games.

i know a couple of people who have "upgraded" recently from iPhones to these 5" android phones and all want to go back to iPhones because they're fucking massive and uncomfortable to use
John

1st Nov 13 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nexus 4 was a joy to use. I can't comment on the 5 yet because I've not got one here.
LeeM

1st Nov 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its still too big to be able to touch all the screen without shifting the phone around in your hand or using 2 hands
John

1st Nov 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, must have had those problems using one for a year and not noticed.

You never have to move hands about an apple device of course, like for instance swiping to view a notification, then moving about to unlock the phone with your finger.
Balling
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
No it's not.

I should know, I've had an iPhone for 5 years and not once have I struggled to do anything I wanted, due to lack of screen real estate.

People are slowly getting used to bigger screens, and some prefer them, which is fine - the diversity is there for a reason, after all - but there's simply no arguing that a bigger screen is definitely better.

LeeM

1st Nov 13 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Sorry, must have had those problems using one for a year and not noticed.

You never have to move hands about an apple device of course, like for instance swiping to view a notification, then moving about to unlock the phone with your finger.

its more difficult with the 5, its too big. 4/4s was spot on.
John

1st Nov 13 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
No it's not.

I should know, I've had an iPhone for 5 years and not once have I struggled to do anything I wanted, due to lack of screen real estate.

People are slowly getting used to bigger screens, and some prefer them, which is fine - the diversity is there for a reason, after all - but there's simply no arguing that a bigger screen is definitely better.

There is, the next iPhone will have one, by which time I'm assuming everyone will have found a need for one which wasn't here this year.
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the deal with wireless charging? Is it a universal standard, or will I need a Nexus specific wireless charger?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
There is, the next iPhone will have one, by which time I'm assuming everyone will have found a need for one which wasn't here this year.
Whether or not the next iPhone will have a larger screen or people will find a need for one has nothing to do with it being definitely better.

Popularity and quality has nothing at all to do with each other, just look at what's happened with Panasonic's plasma production.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

1st Nov 13 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

saw the release yday and really wanted to order one Still got my N4 and loving it.
A2H GO

1st Nov 13 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally stock emoji's. This is a big update.

[Cool story bro post alert]

From somebody who has owned and lived with small and big screen sizes I'd say even the iPhone 5 size is slightly uncomfortable to use in some situations like getting to the notification centre or reaching buttons in the top right corner. When going to the S3 the screen size was the best thing ever, however in practical day to day use you soon realise to do a lot of stuff you have to hold the phone awkwardly or shuffle your grip about and in doing so I always felt like I was going to drop it. I even had to install a tweak to swipe up from the bottom to pull the notification centre down as you simply can't reach it comfortably one handed (by comfortably try it on an iPhone 4 and you'll know what I mean).

The worst for me was texting whilst walking, I do a lot of walking (2 miles to and from work) and again trying to text one handed you never felt like you'd got hold of it properly, like it was top heavy and going to fall out your hand any time you lifted your finger off the keyboard.Most people I see with larger phones tend to operate it with two hands, try texting or doing anything with two hands whilst walking, your balance goes off. What if you have something in your other hand so that isn't an option. It's just a poor user experience IMO, I thought I'd be really disappointed going back a smaller screen after a few months, but surprisingly I didn't miss it at all.

Then there's the fact that hardly anything takes advantage of the bigger screen anyway, stuff just gets blown up resulting in more empty space. I walked past someone using a Galaxy Note yesterday and they were on the contacts page and all this massive screen was showing was profile picture and a phone number at the top, the rest was empty, its pointless in 99% of situations. Seeing one more tweet in my timeline or an extra status on facebook isn't a valid tradeoff IMO. The only time I ever felt any benefit from it was watching videos, which was pretty much the other 1% of the time.

http://techpinions.com/apples-4-inch-iphone-5-vs-android-4-inch-plus-devices/10528

If Apple release a phone with a bigger screen (which they no doubt will eventually) I'd buy it because I wouldn't have much choice but I'd be disappointed.

EDIT: I'm also guessing this guys an Apple fanboy - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5051520/nexus-5-hands-on-video

[Edited on 01-11-2013 by A2H GO]
BarnshaW

1st Nov 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2300mAh and this processor is going to be interesting on the battery life thats for sure
Dom

1st Nov 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
2300mAh and this processor is going to be interesting on the battery life thats for sure

The I9506 uses the Snapdragon 800 and manages a day just fine; plus 4.4 is supposedly more efficient in power consumption which'll help. So i don't see there being an issue with battery life.
Granted, it would have been nice to see a 3000mAh battery but i suspect keeping production costs down made it impossible to achieve.

Still you can't deny for spec and cost, the N5 is a pretty damn good phone and there isn't many other phones that come close

[Edited on 01-11-2013 by Dom]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll