corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgrade time. Which phone to go for?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrade time. Which phone to go for?
Dom

User status: Offline
7th Mar 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Dom, you work in IT - you know that no digital system is ever fully secure. You'll also know that it took 5 months to find and exploit the latest jailbreaking vulnerability in iOS.

I've no doubt F-Secure would also produce antivirus software for other platforms if the potential threat was demonstrably high enough.

And anyone with an ounce of intelligence should know not to take things at face value, yet you seemed to have looked at the 'shiny, shiny' graphs and done just that

Saying that, we all know company monkeys are there to do rather than to think so it's not your fault Rob
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's no white paper, I'll give you that.

I don't doubt that it's steeped in spin - the same spin anti-virus peddling salesmen have been doling out for decades - we can thank Dr. Alan Solomon (amongst others at CARO) for sowing the seeds of the virus naming conventions we enjoy today back in 1990; you could level the accusation of scaring people into purchasing their product at the anti-virus business in general.

What did surprise me is that they felt they could justify there was enough of a problem on Android (even to themselves, as a business case) to invest in creating a product to deal with it.
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Saying that, we all know company monkeys are there to do rather than to think so it's not your fault Rob

Uncalled for.
Dom

7th Mar 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What did surprise me is that they felt they could justify there was enough of a problem on Android (even to themselves, as a business case) to invest in creating a product to deal with it.

No different to the array of products for iOS like VirusBarrier, Sophos, SecureWeb etc. And i'm sure there would be more if Apple wasn't so strict in allowing these types of apps on their app store (Looky here); after all it'd contradict their 'no need for AVs' image.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Uncalled for.

evilrob
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
No different to the array of products for iOS like VirusBarrier, Sophos, SecureWeb etc. And i'm sure there would be more if Apple wasn't so strict in allowing these types of apps on their app store (Looky here); after all it'd contradict their 'no need for AVs' image.

It's entirely different. The antivirus software available on iOS is not for the operating system itself, but for users who wish to scan email attachments and the like so they are not propagating infected files via their iOS device, or to verify that URLs are 'safe'; this is distinct from the F-Secure package which is concerned about malware having been installed and operating on the device itself - a situation which just isn't a problem on other platforms (yet).

From your link above:
"According to Kaspersky, attacking the iOS platform is 'more complicated' than other attacks and that cybercriminals are currently content to attack other platforms [...] It is much more difficult to infect iOS but it is possible and when it happens it will be the worst-case scenario because there will be no protection. The Apple SDK won’t let us do it."

If that's not scaremongering, I don't know what is!

You also mention Sophos, who have this to say on the matter:
SOPHOS - why iOS is safer than Android

[Edited on 07-03-2013 by evilrob]
A2H GO

7th Mar 13 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets just face it, Android is a bag of spanners, the windows of the mobile OS world if you like, but millions of people use windows (some even like it), so why would Android be any different. There will always be people who have little appreciation for design, don't mind sifting though all the crap they let on the play store, or are happy to have their bank accounts hacked because as long as 'open' and you can have a live wallpaper that's OK.
Dom

7th Mar 13 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said and as you know, Apple are pretty restrictive in what they allow on their app store hence why you won't find a fully fledged virus scanner as it'd damage their image that "iOS is rock solid in terms of security".

And anyone can Google and find articles that favour their argument...

"According to the new study, iOS is currently saddled wth 182 more security vulnerabilities than Android."
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ios-has-10x-more-security-holes-than-android-but-its-still-safer-says-symantec-20110628/

"Appthority recently took a look at the fifty most popular free Android and iOS apps to see just how safe they might be, and Android seems to be the platform that’s putting its users at less of a risk."
http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/06/ios-apps-risky

"A flaw discovered recently in Apple's iPhone could allow nefarious people to hack SMS messages. According to AdaptiveMobile, the iPhone stands alone with this security hole. AdaptiveMobile tested the exploit in the iPhone and compared it to Android, BlackBery, Symbian, and Windows Mobile. All the other platforms remained secure in their treatment of SMS messages."
http://www.informationweek.co.uk/security/mobile/android-and-blackberry-safer-than-ios-fo/240006075

"Despite Android's reputation as a less secure platform, Appthority found that it was iOS apps that are allowed to engage in more risky behaviours."
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/05/ios-apps-leak-more-personal-data-than-do-android-apps---report

It's all biased bollocks and anyway, we're getting away from the original point which was how shite the F-Secure 'security report' (used in the loosest of terms) and dragging this thread way off topic
Dom

7th Mar 13 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Lets just face it, Android is a bag of spanners, the windows of the mobile OS world if you like, but millions of people use windows (some even like it), so why would Android be any different. There will always be people who have little appreciation for design, don't mind sifting though all the crap they let on the play store, or are happy to have their bank accounts hacked because as long as 'open' and you can have a live wallpaper that's OK.

evilrob
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
anyone can Google and find articles that favour their argument...

"According to the new study, iOS is currently saddled wth 182 more security vulnerabilities than Android."
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/os-has-10x-more-security-holes-than-android-but-its-still-safer-says-symantec-20110628/

Or the other person's argument in this case.

[Edited on 07-03-2013 by evilrob]
Dom

7th Mar 13 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
anyone can Google and find articles that favour their argument...

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ios-has-10x-more-security-holes-than-android-but-its-still-safer-says-symantec-20110628/

Or the other person's argument in this case.

Or perhaps their basing that on the closed ecosystem. Still though, 182 more security holes than Android....fair old wack that

Anyway, shall we all stop ruining Bonney's thread and just agree that you and Ash should of perhaps read the report before posting it's statistically overinflated 'shiny shiny' graphs based on non-referenced mythical source data?

[Edited on 07-03-2013 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So to conclude, what we've seen is three separate examples of reputable security firms with over 50 years experience between them - Symantec, Sophos and F-Secure - demonstrate that iOS, whilst not perfect, is more secure than Android, two of which are impartial (in so far as neither currently offer a product from which they can profit by criticising one or the other platform - i.e. there is no commercial benefit that we know of one way or the other that should sway their findings), one of which is trying to sell Android security software so we're a little suspicious of their claims.

We've also seen an article in which another reputable security firm, Kaspersky, state, "attacking the iOS platform is 'more complicated' than other attacks" and that, "it is much more difficult to infect iOS" - but they are annoyed that if and when the inevitable iOS hackpocalpyse arrives, they can't currently sell any software to deal with it.

Then there's the report from a company (Appthority) that's been around since 2011 that takes issue with 8% more free apps on iPhones sending data over an unencrypted connection than on Android, and another report about an SMS flaw in iOS that was patched in 2012, less than one month after it was discovered.

We've done some good work here, Dom. I hope this is of use to the original poster when deciding which phone to buy.

I can't say I'm not still tempted by that Xperia Z, though... it's a beaut!

[Edited on 08-03-2013 by evilrob]
Dom

7th Mar 13 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
two of which are impartial...

Impartial would be a report from an independent or well-respected journal or blog ie: - something that is actually worth it's weight rather than biased guff that has been posted in here.

But yes, good job Rob. I'm sure going around circles to end up at what we already knew, that nothing is 100% secure and safe, has been a tremendous help to Bonney in deciding his next phone

And the 'Z' does look good although it'd be nice to see it with vanilla 'droid.

[Edited on 07-03-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the fact that android can be rooted by every developer and his dog whilst iOS can only be exploited by less than a handful of people says more about how secure it is than any of the graphs posted.
Nath

8th Mar 13 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the fact that A2H is a massive fanboy renders anything he says dead in the water.
A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happy to give credit where credits due.

There's a huge billboard outside the office with a picture of the Xperia Z and the tag line 'The smartphone reinvetned' and I just look at it and think 'you haven't reinveted anything have you Sony, looks like a few year old S2."
Balling
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the Xperia Z ... looks like a few year old S2.

A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 08-03-2013 by A2H GO]
Dom

8th Mar 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think the fact that android can be rooted by every developer and his dog whilst iOS can only be exploited by less than a handful of people says more about how secure it is than any of the graphs posted.

Stop being desperate Ash and posting false information, it just makes you look like tit
Balling
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not even sure if you're trying to prove my point or your own?

They're both black squares with round corners. If that is enough similarity for you to think they look alike, you must have a serious issue telling almost all current phones apart.

A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Stop being desperate Ash and posting false information, it just makes you look like tit

As opposed to all the biased advertising you've linked above
A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I'm not even sure if you're trying to prove my point or your own?

They're both black squares with round corners. If that is enough similarity for you to think they look alike, you must have a serious issue telling almost all current phones apart.

Not really, Z10 for example has a distinctive design, if you saw it on someones desk you'd know it was a Z10 (until the HTC One came along and copied), same with the S3 and its 'pebble' shape, same with the Lumia whereas the Xperia looks like every other generic android handset, just my opinion.

Dom

8th Mar 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

As opposed to all the biased advertising you've linked above

You mean like the 'accurate' security report you posted?

As said before, stop reading things at face value and actually engage your brain as all you end up doing is making yourself look like a clueless rambling tit, exactly what you're doing now
Dom

8th Mar 13 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Not really, Z10 for example has a distinctive design....

quote:
Look's very familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it...

quote:
It is very nice but to say they haven't 'borrowed' some of the design from the iPhone 5 would be

So the Z10 is a distinctive iPhone 5 copy?

quote:
..if you saw it on someones desk you'd know it was a Z10...

quote:
Just showed it the Mrs and literally the first thing she said was 'looks like an iPhone'.

But your missus wouldn't?

[Edited on 08-03-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

8th Mar 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom's got his post mining hat on again

All I'm saying is to me the Xperia looks like every boring generic android phone, but since all phones are just 'black rectangles' anyway what does it matter.

That said having read some reviews the screen seems to be highly rated. I'd have still waited to see what Samsung are going to do though.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll