corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Cricket Thread 2013.

New Poll
  <<  22    23    24    25    26    27  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Cricket Thread 2013.
C2RL R

User status: Offline
15th Dec 13 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i doubt that this team could beat new zealand.

[Edited on 15-12-2013 by C2RL R]
Cavey

15th Dec 13 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets not get too carried away now...
C2RL R

15th Dec 13 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like swanny is having trouble with his hamstring. when things are bad they just get worse.
Cavey

15th Dec 13 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, he should of been dropped really, should of given Monty the chance, i hope they mix it up for the next 2 tests seeing as we've lost already
Cavey

22nd Dec 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, safe to say Monty is playing the next test. Swann has retired with immediate effect
Robbo

23rd Dec 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pathetic from Swann. Imagine if, say, Frank Lampard retiring misway through a (conveniently disastrous) World Cup, he'd get utterly slaughtered, not praised.
Dave

23rd Dec 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thankfully this is cricket though, cricket tours are pretty much nothing like a football tournament.

Without knowing exactly what's gone on, which other than Swann and his closest friends and family no body does, it's hard to form an opinion on this. Doesn't stop people who are paid to comment having a say though and more often than not it's bollocks at best.

My guess, and it really is just that, is that his elbow is knackered and he knows he can no longer contribute well enough to warrant his place in the side. However he's done enough in the past, purely from the selectors point of view, to keep his place in the side. Being a spinner in test cricket is similar to wicket keeping, typically there is only one in the side and selectors will try and stick with them, especially if they've had good success in the past (see Prior). Add to that Monty has been steady at best on the field and had his problems off it it was unlikely they were going to drop Swann. By retiring he's taken this issue away from them. He certainly isn't the first cricketer to do the selectors job for them.

Also of interest is Swanns comments that have come out today, he can protest that they are not directed at the current England squad but I'm not sure I buy that. Despite being a bit of joker Swann is actually very professional and it hurts him when the team doesn't perform. Not sure the same can be said for the others who are almost certainly only concerned with their own performance. Now if he is in a dressing room where he feels certain people aren't contributing to the team effort and his body means he can no longer lift the team how he'd like it seems to me pretty reasonable that he stands aside.
Robbo

23rd Dec 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO, same as the one who came home with stress, dont do it during the biggest event in your sport! They both could have fucked off home injured and disclosed the details at a later date.
Cavey

28th Dec 13 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wake up this morning to find the aussies batting again. What the fuck. We lost the last 5 wickets for 6 runs. Excellent
Dave

28th Dec 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopeless aren't they? I've said many times that this team is being carried hugely by its bowlers, struggling to think of any series since 10/11 ashes when the batsmen have scored consistent big runs against a good side. It's not that long since we were getting rolled over by NZ ffs
Cavey

28th Dec 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just got depressing now, they had a great chance today. Glad Petersen has shown why he's in the team though. Does he get out stupidly?? Yes, but he's being forced to go for stupid shits sometimes as the rest of the team just aren't performing. People calling for him to be dropped after the last test are silly.

Alternatively, the big bash is great to watch. Kieswetter 50 from 26 balls this morning.
JonnyJ

28th Dec 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus wept. Decided to listen to the TMS replay "as live" today, until its just stopped now for the football, just as the first collapse started, did not expect to find we were all out of 179. Utterly pathetic. Started so well with Cook too.
Dave

28th Dec 13 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In other news, the greatest player of my generation is on his way to another ton in his last test, take a bow Jacques.
JonnyJ

28th Dec 13 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely class is Kallis. Hopefully he'll get his century.
Dave

28th Dec 13 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, averages 55+, used to regularly hit 90mph and a pair of buckets in the slips, unbelievable.

Every time I see Shane Watson play all I can think is how he is a smart price version of Kallis.
Cavey

28th Dec 13 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watson has all the potential to be there as well, he just doesnt seem to take that step up
JonnyJ

3rd Jan 14 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely Stokes the only one to come out of this with any credit. 6 wickets today.

Maybe Broad too.

Good stat which has shown the difference between the sides. Aus recoveries:

100/5 became 295
257/5 became 570d
143/5 became 385
112/5 became 204
97/5 became 326

We cant do that, it all falls apart after 5, sometimes even before then.

[Edited on 03-01-2014 by JonnyJ]
Cavey

3rd Jan 14 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awful shot from Carberry to get out. Good catch mind. But he hasn't coped against Johnson at all
JonnyJ

3rd Jan 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes not good enough. His footwork leaves a lot to be desired. I watched 5 mins this morning before i left for work and he was all over the show vs Johnson, said to myself he'll be out before i get to work...he was out before i even got to the car and Anderson was in as Nightwatchman
Dave

3rd Jan 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good captaincy there I thought. Very rarely see leg slips in the modern game so you can see why Carberry would instinctively try to steer a ball like that off his hip, that'd almost always be a single to fine leg. Granted he should really have taken that into account but when a ball is coming at 90mph+ you don't have a lot of time to think.
Cavey

3rd Jan 14 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I mean, surely he should know the field before taken the shot on.

Carberry is a shot maker, but hes just completely changed his style since getting in the team. Same thing happened to Root when he was moved up the order. They should play their shots. Carberry had a couple off 50odd in the last test.
Dave

3rd Jan 14 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm getting at though, it's not like saying "right, I've got two gullys and backward point, best lay off the cut shot". It's just how he would have played a fast ball aimed at his hip every time, habits are hard to break.

I definitely agree re the tempo of England's batting though, it was exactly the same in the summer and the previous winter in NZ, they've been far too defensive and allowed Australia to bowl at them. It's so much easier as a bowler when batsmen aren't coming after you, as long as you are patient you can just reel off dot ball after dot ball, plus when you do over pitch or throw one wide you find because they haven't scored they'll throw everything at it and end up hitting the field.

They should be watching videos of 2005, people like Trescothick crunching Brett Lee through the covers right from the word go
Cavey

4th Jan 14 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

17-4. Could be over by the time I check this thread in the morning.
Cavey

4th Jan 14 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We avoided the follow on
JonnyJ

17th Jan 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

England have turned losing into an art form. How the fuck did we manage that?!

<<  22    23    24    25    26    27  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Cricket Thread 2013. 23 database queries in 0.2010610 seconds