corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Cricket Thread 2013.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Cricket Thread 2013.
Dave

User status: Offline
8th Jul 13 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Risky starting a thread about anything but Football and Motorsport in sports day but here goes...

First test starts Wednesday at Trent Bridge.

Both sides have announced their squads, talking point for England is Compton missing out with Root opening. Not the biggest surprise after the warm up match but still quite bold considering this will be Roots first time at the top of the order.
I'd also quite like Onions to get the nod over Finn but I think the selectors will stick with the normal attack.

Thoughts? Predictions? Personally I think our bowling attack will be way too strong for Aus. Their batting looks paper thin and they'll really need Clarkes back to hold out. That said Australia's bowlers could be dangerous in England but if our 3/4/5 are all in form they should take the game away from them. Hoping Prior returns to form too, love seeing him bat.

Renamed as per JonnyJ request now the Ashes are firmly retained, any old cricket chat now

[Edited on 18-07-2013 by Dave]

[Edited on 21-08-2013 by Dave]

[Edited on 04-09-2013 by Dave]
Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would prefer Finn to Bresnan, but seems they're more likely to go with him at Trent Bridge. I actually really like Onions too, but I don't think he'll get a look in tbh.

Feel sorry for Compton tbh, but Root is a ln outstanding player, so there's no problem with him opening for us, seems to be perfect for it, even though he is still.so young.

Aussie guy on the radio reckons Clarke will do well to get 7/8 out of the 10 matches, and seeing as he's pretty much their only batsman, I think we should win fairly comfortably. At the end of the day we've got one of the best openers around, Trott is probably the most consistent 3 in the world, Pietersen can win a match by himself, Prior is the best wicket keeper in the world, Anderson IMO is quite a way ahead as the best fast bowler and Swann is the guaranteed to get a few wickets each match too.

I reckon 3-1 over here as there is bound to be one weather affected.
Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping it goes the distance at Trent Bridge as I've got next Tuesday off and if there's a chance of play it'll be £10 a ticket hopefully even if its just a couple of hours play!
JonnyJ

8th Jul 13 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Root deserves his chance, although i do agree its a bit of a surprise to see him opening, not a fan of Compton anyway.

Prior is mesmorising to watch when on form, his display in the drawn test match vs NZ was simply incredible.

As for predictions i reckon we'll beat them comfortably, our bowling will see to that, Jimmy has been in decent form recently and as said their batting line up is woeful, he'll hopefully take them apart. Honestly think we have a chance of white washing them but much of that will depend on the British weather

Was looking at getting tickets for the 4th test at Durham but the ticket prices are eye watering at £80 a pop...
Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and a mate considered going to one, but when you think its 80 a ticket, booze will be extortionate, you'll go through 8 pints at least in this heat watching sport, it'd end up 150ish for the day.

I'll sit on my sofa with a beer and the patio doors open, will feel like I'm there
Whittie

8th Jul 13 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky sports 2 is now Sky Sports Ashes HD, this has come round quick.
Robbo

8th Jul 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wish i wasnt out of the country tail end of the week as lords is 15 misn from my flat

come on england!
Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lords test isn't for a while yet Robbo
Dave

8th Jul 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Dale Steyn might have something to say about the best fast bowler but I see where you are coming from. His control is unbelievable, any bowler that can swing the ball both ways is going to be dangerous but it's such a subtle change of wrist position that batsmen just can't pick it out of the hand. Coincidentally I played against his old club yesterday and there is another young lad there with some fair wheels, be interesting to see how he progresses.

I like Onions because he just keeps it simple and bowls to English conditions. Pitch it up, attack the stumps and give it a chance to swing.

I do think it's harsh on Compton but I wouldn't have picked him when Strauss retired and it's probably the right pick in the long term.
Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got family in SA and asked them about Steyn, he said its very close, but Steyn is probably better.

But I disagree, although obviously I've seen a lot more of Jimmy and in English conditions there's no-one better. He's brilliant to watch. Was 1 wicket in the ICC that was a masterclass, was the match that broad took 7 or 8. Anderson's wicket was by far the best, swung it away 1 ball, back in the next, the batsman didn't have a clue about it

[Edited on 08-07-2013 by Cavey]
Dave

8th Jul 13 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our pro is from SA and has played against Steyn, he agrees with me that Steyn just edges it with the extra pace he has, although he thinks Dernbach is a good ODI bowler so im not sure his opinion is that great. Tbh it's one of those pointless arguments though, they are simply both world class.

Noticed Compton has failed for Somerset today.
Nath

8th Jul 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have Root over Compton all day long.
JonnyJ

8th Jul 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8 minutes at the crease and out for 0 off 5 Yeah, think we'll manage without.
Jamie Walby

8th Jul 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to see Root hook one right into David Warners ratty little face.

Really looking forward to the series. Moved house on Saturday, had Sky installed this morning. My flatmate and I big cricket fans so were starting to panic we wouldn't be able to have Sky in on time so dodged that problem nicely!

Cavey

8th Jul 13 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dernbach.... Now there's a weird one. He could be very good at limited over's cricket. But everyone seems to have figured out they need to target him and he'll just fall apart. Its definitely fun to watch him if you're a neutral, you never know what's going to happen.

General consensus on him see to be he needs to perfect a stock ball, then his variations will work better for him.
Jamie Walby

9th Jul 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anderson most English wickets in series
Starc most Aus wickets in series
Trott most Eng runs in series
Watson most Aus runs in series

240/1

Was torn between Watson, Clarke and Haddin but went Watson.

Fingers crossed.
Nath

9th Jul 13 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good bet that!
Jamie Walby

9th Jul 13 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do bets like that for pretty much all the tournaments/series. Only ever won 1 mind
Nath

9th Jul 13 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May do the same but with Clarke and KP.
Dave

9th Jul 13 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KP is a great shout IMO, with all the shit that has gone on before it's set up for someone like him to come out and dominate. If he's on top of his game the cons stand no chance.
Nath

9th Jul 13 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KP
Clarke
Anderson
Starc

123/1
£2.50

[Edited on 09-07-2013 by Nath]
Dave

9th Jul 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth a punt on Swann If this weather continues, especially in this test. He's on his home ground and it should turn, I don't think many of the Aussies are great players of spin either.
Cavey

9th Jul 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie's bet for me, I don't think Clarke will be fit enough to play every match so you'll be risking it with him.

I was looking at Trott yesterday, but its definitely the hardest bit to pick of the 4 fold. Cook was top in aus last ashes, KP could easily be top scorer if he feels like it.
Cavey

9th Jul 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Might be worth a punt on Swann If this weather continues, especially in this test. He's on his home ground and it should turn, I don't think many of the Aussies are great players of spin either.

How many lefties do they have? Obviously he prefers bowling against them. I would say Anderson, but in this heat I'm not sure how much it'll swing. Obviously TB is usually a swinging pitch, but its not normally 25+ degrees!
Dave

9th Jul 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming they are all playing Cowan Hughes and Rogers are all lefties so that's 3 of the top six if they go Watson Rogers Cowan Clarke Smith Hughes.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Cricket Thread 2013. 23 database queries in 0.2310262 seconds