corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » After a home cinema system which one?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author After a home cinema system which one?
baza31

User status: Offline
11th Mar 13 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above . Almost decided on bose v35 , found a few new ones at 2k ish . There is a whole load of mixed reviews most saying great but too much money for what you get . I am liking the simplicity and how near they look . They also sounded great but am no expert in this field . Can anyone reccomend another 5.1 that is as neat but better sounding . I'd go upto 2k ish.

Cheers
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For £2k definitely go for separates rather than a bundle system.

You can get a quality Amp, floorstanders(or standmounts), centre, sub and rears for £2k - and with separates you've got the option of blowing the majority of your budget on the front soundstage with some cheaper rears/sub, but the scope to upgrade in the future if you want.

A quick example (I've currently got a hardon for Mordaunt Short gear):

http://www.mordaunt-short.com/products/aviano-system-c

Leaves you £750 for an amp and cabling.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
baza31

11th Mar 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Way too big. Ideally want tiny little speakers like the bose . I find speakers ugly as hell . Plus they need to be on wall mounted. Thanks
John

11th Mar 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you aren't really an audiophile and you want it to look good, plus be able to tell people you have Bose, just get the Bose system.

Separates will be better but if you're not into it, might as well get it all in one box.
evilrob
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sonos Playbar with 2 x Play:3 rears, 1 x Sub and a Bridge combo can be done for way under £2k.

Then at a later date you could add more wireless speakers for other areas of the house.
Dom

11th Mar 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's just for show then get the Bose.

If sound is important then couple a decent AVR (Denon/Onkyo etc) with a set of Mission Cubes (sound ok for the price), Boston Acoustic Cubes (about the best vs cost) or B&W MT series (will need to up your budget).
Steve
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IS there actually much difference between a sound system that costs 1k and one that costs 3k?

I mean sure technically there may be a lot of differences, but can the human ear actually really tell?

Im sure there are people that think they can, even convince themselves they can, but can they actually? Like people who think using expensive cables, even analogue stuff actually makes a difference in terms of what they can tell with their own ears
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you can hear the difference.

i think its more the fact that you dont want to spend the extra on a good system so you claim you cant hear the difference
John

11th Mar 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it easy to tell, expensive doesn't automatically mean better though. It's perfectly possible for a cheaper system to be better than a more expensive one.

I'm also realistic on things with cables though. People who spend hundreds on cables for their living room I would argue wouldn't have a clue.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can easily tell that my £400 lg system is better than my dads £600 sony system
Balling
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't say I'm a fan of the styling of the Bose V35, but it does sound good for what it is.

Price is ridiculously inflated, but then you get to impress the vast amount of people who think Bose is a good as it gets, so I guess that's a plus.

If you want nothing bigger than the V35 speakers, then I wouldn't be paying 2k as you're never getting 2k's worth of sound out of tiny speakers.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio Minx speakers. Fantastic bits of kit and very compact designs. The 525's should fit the bill. They look the part too, imo.
Then look at medium-low end receivers from brands like Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer or Onkyo.

£1500 should see you a kit at least as good as the Bose.
You'll same money, but probably never feel as cool.

Go on and get the Bose...

Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£2k is a lot of money if you're not really "into it" and you don't want a nice big setup

Just spend £500 and get some logitech offering if you want tiny speakers.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

11th Mar 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KEF 2005/3005's are another option, similarly it'd be worth looking at speakers from EMP or Paradigm as they do some small packages.
Alternatively GTL in-walls.

Balling - Would you say the Minx are better than the BA XE's?

[Edited on 11-03-2013 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

13th Mar 13 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Do you mean the XS SE? Or am I missing something?

Either way, I couldn't make that comparison. I've only listened to the s325 kit and that's not fair to compare to the Boston's seing as the speakes have twice the drivers and the kit is more than twice the price. I think a fair comparison would be the s215, but I haven't had a chance to listen to that.

Either way, I do prefer the styling of the Minx's. They look more like a speaker to me and the small (dare I say iMac like?) stand is just proper classy.

Dom

13th Mar 13 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Do you mean the XS SE? Or am I missing something?

Either way, I couldn't make that comparison. I've only listened to the s325 kit and that's not fair to compare to the Boston's seing as the speakes have twice the drivers and the kit is more than twice the price. I think a fair comparison would be the s215, but I haven't had a chance to listen to that.

Either way, I do prefer the styling of the Minx's. They look more like a speaker to me and the small (dare I say iMac like?) stand is just proper classy.

Yup, XS SE is what i was meant to say

Although i didn't realise the CA 325/525's were dual drives, assumed they were single like the Boston's; as you say though, it isn't a fair comparison.

What do the 325's sounds like anyway? Does the sub provide enough power and range to fill in for what the 'satellites' miss?

Will have to go have a listen, saying that Richer Sounds aren't exactly known to have decent listening rooms
baza31

22nd Mar 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone got or heard boston acustics soundware xs 5.1 ? Just been googling best package 5.1 and this keeps popping up . Seems cheap at £300? What would that compare to a bose v35 sound wise ?
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 13 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difference in sound is completely disproportionate to the difference in price.

The Boston's sound great for their size, just don't fit them in a huge room. That goes for all tiny speakers though.

As above, give the Cambridge Minx series a listen too.

baza31

22nd Mar 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is the bose better sounding than the Boston one? Ill have a look at the one mentioned , thanks .
whitter45

22nd Mar 13 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pairing speakers and amp is key

Sony and onkyo are bright amps so getting bright speakers will kill the experience.

Yamaha are very good at music in general
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 13 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
So is the bose better sounding than the Boston one? Ill have a look at the one mentioned , thanks .
Yes of course. At that price it better fucking be. But it's not THAT much better.

Like I said, I don't think the difference in price is justified.

I'd expect the Minx S525 kit with the right AVR to at least equal the Bose V35. You save money, get a proper future proof setup and the speakers look much cooler, imo.

whitter45

22nd Mar 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Minx are great kit father has a set

New Poll