corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ethernet network speeds

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ethernet network speeds
oceansoul

User status: Offline
17th Jan 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been sorting out the ethernet network at home, and im thinking of getting a 1000mb/s switch. I already have a 100/10mb/s switch which im looking to replace with the gig switch. My question is does the DHCP server location matter in regards to network speed?

Heres a pic

So i want to have the NAS drive and xbox on the 1G switch, but my router is only 100meg. The DHCP server is on the router. I forgot to draw it, but to transfer files onto the NAS drive is done via ethernet to the switch. At the moment this is quite slow, and streaming video to the xbox also suffers from time to time.
John

17th Jan 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't matter where the DHCP server is but I can't see any benefit getting a 1gig switch in that setup.

The only place you'd get near that speed would be xbox1 to the NAS and I doubt network speed is causing your issues.
Andrew

17th Jan 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would need to replace the router with a 1gig switch or add a 1gig second switch to see any benefit.

DHCP server can be located anywhere on that network/
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jan 13 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your whole network including any network cards would have to be gigabit ethernet in order to benefit from any of those kind of speeds.

Simply adding a gigabit switch won't make part of your network faster - it'll all run at whatever speed all devices connected to the network are comfortable with (so 100Mb max. in your diagram example - although in real world scenarios you never ever get those kind of speeds, but then that's a separate discussion).

Slow network speeds can be caused by anything:

- faulty cables
- incorrect configurations
- computers downloading stuff in the background (Windows Update, Adobe Updater, etc.)

I would try and determine what is the culprit first rather than spending money you don't need to.

[Edited on 17-01-2013 by Sam]
John

17th Jan 13 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whole network doesn't have to be gigabit? In this case though it is pretty useless. In real world he should also be getting 100mbs over the cables, no reason not to unless there's a fault.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jan 13 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant if he wanted to reach gigabit speeds then all his kit has to be gigabit - obviously 100Mb devices won't talk to gigabit devices at gigabit speeds, that's what I was referring to.
Chris
Premium Member

18th Jan 13 at 00:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why isnt every thing patched to 1gb switch, as john says you will never shift 1gb on a home network

Due to bottlenecks client side, set the DHCP server to never expire, so need to get a new lease.

NAS should really be assigned via static as you need to know where it is.

New Poll