corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home Network Question..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home Network Question..
Chrissy
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Dec 08 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty decent with computers and have set up quite a few home networks but I've got a wee problem.

Here's the setup:
Got my pc in my room in the loft which is too far away from the Sky router downstairs to pick up a wireless signal so I've ran an ethernet cable up the side of the house and thats how it connects.

For Christmas I'm going to be getting a netbook that ill occasionally want to use in my room (in bed etc). Is there any way I can connect to the network through my ethernet connected pc as I dont think ill be able to pick up a wifi signal.

Any network boffins in here that can help?

>>>> Chris <<<<

ssj_kakarot

5th Dec 08 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you have an ethernet connection already present in your room ( the one that goes into the pc?) and you want to connect the laptop in your bedroom to the network?

ok unless i got some of that wrong thats very simple just get a network switch plug the ethernet cable from the router into the switch and then an ethernet cable from the pc into the switch and an ethernet cable from the laptop into the switch and they will be both hard wired.

Chrissy
Premium Member

5th Dec 08 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger.. didnt even think of a switch.
And to think I got an A in higher computing.

Ive never seen one though.. any examples of what will do the job?

>>>> Chris <<<<

ssj_kakarot

6th Dec 08 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Port-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-Network-Switch-LAN-RJ45_W0QQitemZ370123723082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL?hash=item370123723082&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

there ya go really cheap, thats the exact model i have works great, i have my 360, media centre pc, xbox and slingbox plugged in works a treat.
Neo

6th Dec 08 at 02:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PC world sell a £30 wireless router, which you could always plug into your pc, and sit in bed on the laptop. Best way to do it IMO.

If you want wireless N then its £50 but as your not looking at massive distance then G will be fine.
pow
Premium Member

6th Dec 08 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mike

4 port switch
Doug

6th Dec 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would suggest buying a wireless repeater.

Plug the ethernet cable into the wireless repeater and then you will have full strength wifi in your room for both the netbook and the PC.
Andrew

6th Dec 08 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Various options.

1. Purchase a wireless repeater and plug the ethernet cable into that. Depends if you want to use the cable option.

2. Set up a couple of bridges, one with dual WANs. Use one WAN for the bridge and the other as an Access Point.

3. A signal booster. Will exceed UK regulations but hey, you don't need to worry about that!

4. Just use a switch.
Chrissy
Premium Member

6th Dec 08 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay what's the best way for me to use my laptop wirelessly in my room to connect to the internet?

Do I disregard my ethernet connected pc and buy a signal booster for the router downstairs or is there another option?

>>>> Chris <<<<

Andrew

6th Dec 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are happy with the cable you have run from downstairs to upstairs then i'd just got for a repeater. Give it the same SSID and WPA/WEP as your router and the laptop(s) will switch between the two Access Points.

Bridged APs are quite expensive. I've used ZyZEL 3500s and D-Link 3600s. Both nice bits of kit, D-Link looks a little more geeky though and made of metal I've used CISCOs as just Access Points.

You can set your one up as either an Access Point or Repeater, will both do the job.
Chrissy
Premium Member

6th Dec 08 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will i be able to run another ethernet from the repeater to my existing pc then? and will there not be conflict between the wireless router and the wireless repeater if theyre sharing ssids and wep configurations?

>>>> Chris <<<<

Andrew

6th Dec 08 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't have any conflicts between the router and repeater as long as they are set to run on different channels. They are meant to be set 3 channels apart. I like using the same SSID and no it doesn't cause any conflicts.

You can either run a cable from a switch to your PC and then another cable to the router or purchase a dual LAN AP which you can then have a cable coming in from the router and one coming back out to your PC. I'd just use wireless on them both though personally.
pow
Premium Member

7th Dec 08 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used the same SSID at work with all the AP's in the same area on different channels.
Andrew

7th Dec 08 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows will just move to the next AP with a better signal.

New Poll