corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day

New Poll
  <<  28    29    30    31    32    33  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day
Mattb

User status: Offline
24th Jun 15 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
I do love this car, have a real soft spot for the 944

Thanks Matt You should get one

I would, but the Soarer is too expensive!
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****
Well I've been a bit quiet recently as I've been pretty busy.

My mates and I are all getting ready for Nurburgring again next month so in between helping others sort their cars I've done some playing with mine.

Firstly I fitted the electronic boost and injectors and then took it out for some road mapping. It's making 1.2 bar of boost which is probably where I'll leave it as that's quite conservative on these engines.

It's definitely packing a punch now though. AFRs are spot on all the way through the Rev range and as I've done it myself I've learnt a lot about it which to me is a win. After Germany I'll get it dyno'd to see what it's making but I'm not really fussed on numbers as it feels great.

I've also got some bucket seats out of a '92 Clio cup car, rear cage and some Harnesses as well. I didn't like the Renault sport logo on the seats though so I've unpicked that.

Here's a few photos to get you up to date:

The car is in need of a clean and tidy which I'll do on the weekend. Just got to bleed the brakes and do pads then hopefully it's ready

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you putting that stuff in just for the ring?

Please dont make this into a track slag... Its gorgeous as it is...
Generation

14th Aug 15 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please do as you like, because it's your car..
Darryl H
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris, thanks. I've always wanted a half cage in it from the very beginning, it made sense to have it as a functional thing when the buckets came up cheap and to use as a harness bar including giving it the look I liked. The buckets were mainly for the trip and to see if I like it with them. There will always be some function and form with this car though, the seats hold me so much better than the sport seats I had before. Being a skinny fucker I struggle to not slide around when it's on track - I have tried eating more I promise! but keeping the other seats not going to sell them so it can go back to how it was.

Cheers Generation

chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, it is your car so deffinatly do what you want but its just so lovely as it is/was that i'd really hate to see it be stripped out etc..

I know how it starts, just harnesses, then you get buckets, then you stArt taking door cards out, then its the carpet and before you know it you have a shell of a car inside, which looks soso in a race car, never mind a road car.

All this "track scene" does is ruin nice cars.. And mine is no exception to that, i wish mine was a nicely subtley modified car.. Wish i never bothered with the whole search for grip and power, its ruined a perfectly nice car.

Darryl H
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I completely know what you're saying. It'll never have the door cards taken out and cut up, the interior will always have carpet and a dash. This is the most "track slag" it'll ever look to be honest.

Darryl H
Premium Member

20th Sep 15 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****

At the start of september we set off to the Nurburgring for the 3rd year. Before hand I chucked in some new pads (Ferodo DS2500) and changed the fluid to some ATE super blue.

Their were 8 of us this year, we had a cracking time. Everyone has improved on last year and the Porsche held up very well.

I managed 140mph on the autobahn and it was still pulling like a train but got held up with traffic. I also did 14 laps this year, a couple were consecutive laps and a GP Session. I managed a 9:51 BTG - I know this isn't amazing for my bhp/setup but I really haven't grown the balls to chuck the car in on those fast corners The plus side is I've learnt a lot more about the car and know where I can improve myself and the car.

First up I need to keep it cooler. So I'll be needing a much bigger oil cooler and probably a bigger intercooler. Water temps seem to be dealing with it fine.

Some form of brake upgrade again... Unfortunately the 4 pots on their own aren't able to cut it for the new power upgrade. They're really struggling to slow it down from 130+ so definitely bigger discs and probably going to get some bigger front callipers and shift the boxster brembos to the back.

The MAP sensor gave up to the heat once again so have got Tom sending another one for tomorrow. Luckily this time it will still run with the odd cut out. We're certain this is failing due to heat and this is the hottest I've ever got the engine since the rebuild. He's contacted his supplier to see what the problem is and if they can't sort it he'll be sorting me with a future proof solution later on.

Finally, the gearbox is getting very hot so going to have to put an oil cooler on that as well as get some synchos sorted as it was popping out of 3rd when it got warm/hot.

Anyway here are some photos:

We did a session on the GP circuit which was manic to say the least

There's more trip videos and photos to come but I'll do them when I've uploaded the videos.

Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Sep 15 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks at home on that track dude, nice update

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Premium Member

20th Sep 15 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Looks at home on that track dude, nice update

Cheers Kyle I was chuffed with those last 2 photos... not sure why I was leaning so much on the 2nd one though

I forgot to add I put NS2Rs all round on it before we left which have proven to be pretty decent in the dry on track. The Eagle F1's were much better in the wet but I don't think they had that level of grip in the dry.

Darryl H
Premium Member

1st Nov 15 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****

Well I've been pretty quiet recently so thought I'd just whack something in here.

Bought a few more photos:

Also one of the biggest things for me this year was lacking in confidence in the brakes. I've done quite a bit of reading up now and have decided to go a bit all out on this so I don't have this issue again. First off I've bought a set of these:

They're 996 GT3 front callipers. I'll be moving my current fronts to the rear to give me a 996 gt3 set up effectively, my rears will be able to take a slightly thicker disc which is the only real difference.

I'll be using the 993 320mmx32mm floating discs with a custom hat up front with 330mmx28mm gt3 rear discs. I'll also be using Pagid RS29's up front, and RS14's on the rear. Obviously this setup isn't very cheap so it's going to be a build it up over christmas thing. The callipers will get the rebuild treatment the last had.

In other news I've been sorting out a leaky boot/roof. Bought new seals for both and fixed my electronic boot switch:

I'm also waiting for my 30row oil cooler to arrive which should be more than efficient to keep the engine cool. Then once the brakes are done all I'll have left is the gearbox rebuild.

Happy days!

Here's a link to our trip video if anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/RAqoOsIkm_U

It's mainly just us being twats and having a good time.

[Edited on 01-11-2015 by Darryl H]

chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Nov 15 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any reason why you are mixing pads front to back?
Darryl H
Premium Member

1st Nov 15 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
any reason why you are mixing pads front to back?

Similar performance pretty much, the issue is they don't sell 29's for the rear callipers I'll be using. 14's are the closest they do for that size

chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Nov 15 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just make sure that the operating temp for the pads are pretty much the same..

have a look at performance friction or carbon lorraine as an alternative.
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 15 at 01:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Chris, the pads are supposedly ok to work with each other like this, especially setup the way I'll be having it eg front 29 rear 14 - but I will give those a look. I've heard good things about Performance Friction.

Ben G

2nd Nov 15 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're going for bigger discs at the rear? Isn't that a no no?
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 15 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the one I was waiting for people to pick up on

The issue there is my offset, there's only a very select few discs that I can make work with my offset without going for a custom k sport/ap etc hat.

The rear pad surface size is almost half the amount the fronts will have so I'm hoping that that evens things out a bit and if it doesn't I'll probably have to end up using a bias valve to counteract it.

The only other rear discs I could really use are quite a bit smaller from memory. I'll have to double check that though as I feel like I had already overcome this issue when I was looking in to it...

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

7th Dec 15 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're famous! Car Throttle
oJNAo
Premium Member

7th Dec 15 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

link - https://www.carthrottle.com/post/6-amazing-cars-posted-in-the-ct-garage-last-week/
Darryl H
Premium Member

7th Dec 15 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, didn't realise updating that part of my profile would get so much attention

Kev_GSI

9th Dec 15 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love following the car on instagram.

I hate the gp track bloody killer on the car the ring its self I feel is less harsh as at least it gets a breather between corners on the brakes lol
Darryl H
Premium Member

11th Dec 15 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kev_GSI
love following the car on instagram.

I hate the gp track bloody killer on the car the ring its self I feel is less harsh as at least it gets a breather between corners on the brakes lol

Cheers Kev, yeah you're not wrong the GP track really is a killer!

Jon_C
Premium Member

11th Dec 15 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's your Instagram name dude ???
BeetleGav

11th Dec 15 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daz1492
Darryl H
Premium Member

14th Dec 15 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^

<<  28    29    30    31    32    33  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day 24 database queries in 0.2018251 seconds