corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day

New Poll
  <<  29    30    31    32    33  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jan 16 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****
Well I've been continuing over the Xmas period with the car. Aircon has been removed to clear space for the bigger oil cooler. I've left the air con fan in as it aids cooling in the hotter months in traffic etc.

Here's a few photos so far:
Took the bumper off to make access to things a bit easier.

In removing the aircon compressor you need to change the alternator mount as the compressor was used to tension the bolt.

Difference in brackets.

Stuff now spare

Unfortunately the mount for the alternator uses a smaller bolt on the older 944's so I drilled it out to the same as my previous mount.

Then got it all back together and checked it worked with its new belt and various removals. All seemed good but forgot to get photos.

Next job is tackle the oil cooler, lines and sort the leaky housing for the oil cooler.

I made some lines up using 10AN fittings

New cooler.

So things are still happening. I'm gradually collecting parts and trying to sort the new brakes and gearbox.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Darryl H
Premium Member

24th Jan 16 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****
Ok more little jobs have been done.

So after getting it all running I decided it was probably best to make it not work again

So ever since this engine has been in I've had a smell of coolant occasionally but I've never been able to visually see it or catch it underneath.

So after a bit of digging on the internet it would seem that my oil filter housing may be the issue. The bummer here is this is the only thing with the balance shafts that I didn't take apart during the rebuild. Sods law dictates that I was asking for it to bite me in the arse all along

Soooo I decided to set about resealing it. Unfortunately it's in a really awkward place so you need to remove the ARB, oil cooler and lines, power steering pump (which I don't have anyway now) and a few bits above out the way.

So off came all of that:

After getting it out you can see that this was definitely due new gaskets a little while ago

Now after cleaning it up and having this out I can now add my new adapters for the new oil cooler lines like so:

I've also added a new master cylinder from a 7 series E39 due to my new calipers - I'll need to make up a couple of lines to get everything in place but shouldn't be too difficult.

Ok now a bit that I like.

I've finally sorted myself out on a disc/pad/caliper setup.

It's going to be the following:

MTEC custom Floating Discs (330mmx32mm) - Front
GT3 Calipers and RS29s - Front
944 Turbo Rear Discs - (300mmx24mm) - Rear
Current Boxster Calipers and pads - Pads will be changed to RS29's

so Rear discs arrived:

I then decided it would be best to use these to work out the measurement for the MTEC discs so I could get them ordered.

It's tight...

There's about 2mm-3mm clearance there so should be plenty of room

boylers11

24th Jan 16 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work. This project from start to finish is quite something. Any other major plans for it after the brakes, or just general maintenance and tidying?
Darryl H
Premium Member

24th Jan 16 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
Great work. This project from start to finish is quite something. Any other major plans for it after the brakes, or just general maintenance and tidying?

Thank you Well it's never going to be finished. There's constantly something that has worn out or need attention. I'm going to be doing a lot more track days this year so the plan is to just improve as a driver and improve the car where possible. Engine wise I need to sort a few bits in the map where I'm not happy but apart from that I can't see that changing "too" much

Gearbox needs some attention and stuff like that... will eventually polybush it and put bigger ARB's on it as it would benefit from them. Then see where it goes really.

Ojc

28th Jan 16 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic project
Darryl H
Premium Member

28th Jan 16 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ollie

Ben G

30th Jan 16 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work, Darryl! Replaced my oil filter housing gasket recently, took about 15 minutes
Darryl H
Premium Member

30th Jan 16 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Nice work, Darryl! Replaced my oil filter housing gasket recently, took about 15 minutes

Bastard. I wish it was that quick! New parts have arrived today though so will crack on tomorrow

daine
Premium Member

1st Feb 16 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii301/daz1492/DC34312D-50F9-4062-906B-8C06FE285E89_zpsuvniudrv.jpg

Can you measure the distance from centre to centre of the inlets plz Daz!
Just woundering if a corsa B bottle will fit into the two inlets...

Darryl H
Premium Member

1st Feb 16 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 944 one does... I'll try to remember to measure it when I'm back on it which will be the weekend sorry

daine
Premium Member

1st Feb 16 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's fine Darryl, no rush mate, it's just the 1" diametre piston that will cause alot more fluid displacement
Darryl H
Premium Member

7th Feb 16 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daine it's 85mm center to center

*****UPDATE*****

Just a quick one whilst I'm here.

Put oil filter housing back on (no photos unfortunately)

I then mounted the oil cooler and started sorting the hoses although one needs a different fitting now so that will have to wait until next week

This evening I stripped out the new callipers ready for powder coating tomorrow

That's still up there in amongst my least favourite jobs on a car. Done now though so get to do the fun bits

Darryl H
Premium Member

12th Feb 16 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*****UPDATE*****
Discs have arrived!!

Adapters arrived and fit too!

Darryl H
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

****UPDATE*****

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on here recently. Here's a few updates in one

Put oil filter housing back on (no photos unfortunately)

I then mounted the oil cooler and started sorting the hoses although one needs a different fitting now so that will have to wait until next week

This evening I stripped out the new callipers ready for powder coating tomorrow

That's still up there in amongst my least favourite jobs on a car. Done now though so get to do the fun bits

Discs have arrived!!

Adapters arrived and fit too!

I've made adapters to mount the GT3 Calipers:

Built up the callipers&nbsp;

Mounted up on the car (excuse how dirty it is)

I then used it for a bit to bed everything in. I have an issue with the master cylinder side of things. Moving the fronts to the rears has made it very spongey.

I knew this might have been an issue due to the piston sizes but thought I'd try it anyway. So now I'll need either rear boxster callipers or just put the single pots back on now with a bias valve in place just to temporarily sort this issue.

I took it on a track day to try it all out. It's definitely better braking force but as mentioned spongey.

Otherwise the car was spot on. Oil cooler is keeping the oil so much cooler which in turn is keeping the water temps down. I ended up being able to do 45 minutes sessions at a time.

Only issue I found out after the day was this

The calliper is really that close that when it gets hot it touches the wheel. So to cure this issue I'm purchasing new wheels. I've got a set of BRAID Competition Fuchs in the same dimensions as the Azev's that are being made for me.

A photo from Castle Combe Spring Action Day

and then last nights antics...

After popping out for some food, on the way home the driveshaft decided it wanted to loosen itself off the gearbox. I'm not sure why this has suddenly happened - I was driving very steady at the time. I assume it is related to the track work but they were new bolts and torqued up correctly.

My new Braid Fuchs arrived after over a month of waiting:

17" ET15 10/8.5

I really love these new wheels.

*****UPDATE*****
So sorry I've been a bit quiet again, Photobucket hasn't been uploading my photos so didn't see the point updating the project without some pictures for you to all ignore the boring stuff

So I decided I needed to get rid of the cream interior. I've had some black door cards since I bought the sport seats but never got round to doing the whole lot.

My step dad kindly gave me use of his garage for a few weeks whilst his Cobra was away getting paint. Here's what I got on with:

So I stripped the interior out and got it ready for dye/paint:

I used VHT Vinyl paint which came up great, it looks a bit shiny to start with but it does dull down. The reason for using my original dash etc is because finding a non cracked dash is getting difficult and it made more sense to me to use the stuff I had. If I end up changing my mind I will get this dash re-trimmed.

So all was well until the first run after having the car back on the road where it decided an opportune chance to split a coolant hose. Luckily I was out in the sticks with a friend who could tow me back to my other halves to repair it enough to limp it home.

and back home

Seeing as it was coming back into the garage I got it up in the air and finished a few odds and ends that needed sorting, one of which was the install of a M030 968 adjustable rear ARB.

The ARB was a noticeable difference on the road and has really tightened up the rear end. I had a track evening booked at Brands Hatch on the 12th July which I took this along to. Unfortunately there was no real opportunity to try out the newly installed ARB properly as the track was drenched and the people who were on with us seemed to think it was a Touring car race. I promptly got off track after almost getting run off the track 2-3times.

With my friends Supercharged S2K - This thing is awesome, RR'd at 425bhp. It does look a bit unfinished at the moment but I can assure you he has good plans for it.

So that's pretty much up to date. The car seems to be OK at the moment although I really don't like to jinx that...

Here's a couple of photos of it out on the wheels. It does have genuine centre caps now but I haven't got a good photo on them yet!

Feel free to speak your mind

Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 16 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those wheels suit it right down to the ground, looking very nice
Darryl H
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Those wheels suit it right down to the ground, looking very nice

Cheers Ian! I think they're a bit more in keeping with the car

ShEp

27th Jul 16 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels look awesome.

Love what you've done with the car, wasn't sure on it at first, but you have done a brilliant job.

Keep it up
Darryl H
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Wheels look awesome.

Love what you've done with the car, wasn't sure on it at first, but you have done a brilliant job.

Keep it up

Thanks Shep! nice to see it changing people's minds

daine
Premium Member

28th Jul 16 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That now with the wheels on!! Look's like a Real 944 Turbo did back in the day Class.
Darryl H
Premium Member

28th Jul 16 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
That now with the wheels on!! Look's like a Real 944 Turbo did back in the day Class.

Cheers Daine I'm not sure if you saw but I did add the bits about the MC a page back or this page for you.

Yeah they're that style, these are obviously one inch bigger and quite a bit wider

Kev_GSI

28th Jul 16 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody love this car its epic and good its used properly. Re the interior did you dye the carpets etc if so what with?
Darryl H
Premium Member

28th Jul 16 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kev_GSI
Bloody love this car its epic and good its used properly. Re the interior did you dye the carpets etc if so what with?

Thanks Kev no good it sat around in a garage/drive! Yeah I used some generic carpet dye on eBay. Just put in car carpet dye and it'll come up. It's a big 5liter tub, I only used half of it for all my carpets.

Simon_16v

28th Jul 16 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels look epic!
Darryl H
Premium Member

28th Jul 16 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Wheels look epic!

Cheers Simon!

BeetleGav

28th Jul 16 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know how much i love this mate, it's incredible, I had faith all along in this stolen beige beauty

<<  29    30    31    32    33  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Porsche 944 - 06/03/17 - RR & Track Day 24 database queries in 0.2088120 seconds