corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » House Deposits.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author House Deposits.
Bonney

User status: Offline
17th Dec 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the minimum that they want you to put down?

Going to be starting house hunting next year, Just looking at what houses are going for around the area that I want to move to at the minute and am just wandering about deposits.

Also what other costs during purchasing am i looking to forking out for?
Rob_Quads

17th Dec 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure 5% is around the lowest they will go although they will normally really hit you with a big APR as a result. 10% is a better amount to aim for.
Bonney

17th Dec 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically higher the deposit, the less APR you will pay.
Nismo

17th Dec 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think 10% is the going rate these days, dont think they do %100 or 95% mortgages any more.

Solicitors cost & survey, normally 1K and up.up.
Ben G

17th Dec 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you buy a new house, you usually get.incentives, like only needing 5% deposit and they make up the extra.

We put 10% down for a 6.05% interest rate partly.why the housing market went down the pan. Ridiculously high interest rates at.a time the BoE rate was 0.5%.
Bonney

17th Dec 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought about a new build but some of them look very small. There are a few new estates going up around here suppose just calling in to the sales office and seeing whats on offer I could get a good deal.
Lee_fr200

17th Dec 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id go new build where they have loads of incentives,

I've bought a house at 170k (was up at 200k) put 42,500 down as deposit so my mortgage is 127,500 which over 35yrs works out at 530 per month iirc. My % rate is 3.6 I believe

As for extras to pay you can have your arrangement fee added to your mortgage, you will have stamp duty to pay which is 1% solicitor fees which including stamp duty I'm paying 2,500 that includes search fees! You will also have to pay for the survey/valuation which cost me 350

(this isn't a new house though it's 22yrs old but gives an idea)
AndyKent

18th Dec 12 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the contrary, if you come across new builds from any major housebuilder whose offering incentives keep well away. Often vastly overpriced (even with discounts) and of a poor construction quality. I wouldn't touch some of the new estates round here with a barge pole.

Discounts just allow the housebuilders to falsely prop up the value of houses. If they made them truly affordable the price would come down by a lot more than they are offering!
Rob_Quads

18th Dec 12 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a 2 people who bought new builts in the last 2 years and although prices have remained the same overall the price of their properties have been valued at the price they paid i.e. it was the discounted price that was the actual market value.

Not sure how as surely when they bought it the mortgage valuation would have picked this up, maybe they were just after anything with the market being dead, as long as they didn't think it would drop into negative equity.
AndyKent

18th Dec 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Except that mortgage valuations match the accepted offer price in 99% of cases - its not a true valuation.
Ben G

18th Dec 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
On the contrary, if you come across new builds from any major housebuilder whose offering incentives keep well away. Often vastly overpriced (even with discounts) and of a poor construction quality. I wouldn't touch some of the new estates round here with a barge pole.

Discounts just allow the housebuilders to falsely prop up the value of houses. If they made them truly affordable the price would come down by a lot more than they are offering!

10 year guarantee means it wouldn't bother me. Saves having to fix previous owners fuck ups.
spencer88

18th Dec 12 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

10 year guarantee means it wouldn't bother me. Saves having to fix previous owners fuck ups.

Those guarantees are quite often a load of bollocks so be careful!
Bonney

18th Dec 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would prefer to get an older house and do a bit of work on it. A new house would be nice, Just a case of decorate and furnish it then move in, Nothing to worry about. But what puts me off with them is how they are built, plaster board and stud work.

AndyKent

18th Dec 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

Those guarantees are quite often a load of bollocks so be careful!

As said, barely worth the paper they're written on. NHBC are utter, utter cowboys.
mattk

18th Dec 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put 10% down on one and 30% on the other. never got offered 5% anywhere, was 10% or piss off

Where you after moving to?
Bonney

18th Dec 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10% should be acheivable on a couple I have seen.

Been looking around Haresfinch, Haydock and Sutton Leach. As for the newer houses the ones around Sutton Heath.
pow
Premium Member

24th Dec 12 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were looking to put 60% down, what sort of %age mortgage would you expect?
John

24th Dec 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get 2% fixed for a couple of years no bother on that.
deano87

26th Dec 12 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've signed up to the Nationwide Save to Buy scheme. Keep the account open 6 months and saved a minimum of £50 per month for that period and they'll give you a 95% mortgage, if you are entitled to a mortgage with them.

Shite rates, but it gets you on the ladder.

Whether I actually use the deal or not I don't know as I certainly look around and speak to an IFA.

I want more than 5% deposit to get decent rates.

Based on a 5% deposit for a £120,000 property which is a very small house needing work or decent flat around here, the monthly repayments were about £750 - £800
John

26th Dec 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That can't be a very good rate, 6+%?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Dec 12 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

95% tho John, can charge you what the hell they want at that % LTV.

Just in process of remortgaging ours to a 3yr fixed with Nationwide moving from 2yr fixed with Santander.

Rates are pretty good at moment, even compared with 2yrs ago.

Save as much as possible aim for 10%-15% minimum. If house rice dropped on a 95% you'll be in negative equity in no time.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ian W

27th Dec 12 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm moving back to my parents in January to start saving for a deposit

Hoping to have 10% within a year and should be pretty easy as I'm used to paying for rent / bills / food etc
AndyKent

27th Dec 12 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to be able to save a gel of a lot more than £6k before buying to save yourself the hassle with high rates.

Think 3 times that if you're looking at having new furniture, decorating plus the actual deposit!
deano87

30th Dec 12 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this will work:
Nationwide Save to Buy rates - £115,000 property, £109,250 mortgage, 35 years.

Deal Period: 3 years
Initial Rate: 5.69%
Followed by the SMR: Currently 3.99%
Overall cost for comparison: 4.8% APR
Fees: £499
Monthly Payment: £600.35
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Dec 12 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save more, take over less years!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll