corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » saving up.... dream goal

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author saving up.... dream goal
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I am possibley the worst at saving you have ever seen in your life. I have a loan to pay and also owe about 900 on cards. Now I got the BT job (subject to checks ect) so will be in a much better position finantially at the end of my apprenticeship, loan payed, better wage, no debt ect although for the first year my salary is 12k . I am paying my cards off before I start in september.

Me and the mrs have a joint saving account in which she wants to save for a house, whilst I do want to move out Ive always had a dream in the back of my head.

I want a ferrari, not just any ferrari, a (not a specific colour as i change my mind loads) 355 spyder like the die cast model i had as a kid.... now these are about 30-40k roughly. Ive never even spent half that on a car and have decided I will never get another loan....

I am seriously thinking of openening a savings account with the stipulation that anything I save will go towards me 1 day having a ferrari. I wont be able to save much at all to start maybe 50-100 a month but its still saving right?

Once my wage increases and i have more free cash I will be able to save considerably more, especially once my loan is finished in 3 years time. Obviously this would be a long term thing over 5-10 years saving, I really would want a perfect standard example for that cash and of course in that time me and the gf would need to have a house with a garage or its pointless.

Some pics of the cars in question....

I also go through phases of loving the hard top

After spending another 100+ on shit for my ibiza im left wondering, if id just saved in the first place id be half way there already.... trying to move away from modded cars so decided these bits are the last for the ibiza.

So basicly do you think saving for one as a dream goal is a good idea? Even if I never get one ive still saved right?

Tomnova16
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are only on 12k a year you will struggle to save anything, i say work the year and anything left in your account at the end of the month put into savings and forget about them, then when you are on more money set up a standing order straight into your savings/isa for whatever amount you can do without, id rather live life to the fullest (as much as you can on your wage) and save where you can

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Stu

22nd Jul 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say go for it but just remember purchase price on cars like these aren't the end! Before I bought the RS6 I had my heart set on a 360 Modena! I went to view it, test drove it and I loved it! I then looked through the service history and checked the last service which was a cam belt service with a few other little bits (a sensor, rear pads) and it was £8k +VAT! I had to walk away at that!

The RS6 isnt cheap to run but i imagine its a fair bit less than a Rari and a cam belt service with front discs and pads cost me nearly £3k last year!!

Dont want to put you off and savings a great idea but just be aware that you will probably want to save an extra £10k to run it for 2 years!!

RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll buy a house and your thoughts will change - I'd rather have a really nice house and something reasonable on the drive; than a 40k car and a shit house and you'll start to think the same.

I was going to have an exige at one point, money was there, but then thought, actually, that money is better off going into the house. You say you dont want loans, but you'll have a massive one called a mortgage - put the 40k down on that and you'll save a fortune in interest payments
thegsi

22nd Jul 10 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best of luck to ya
nick_sri

22nd Jul 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ever thought of having one of those mr2 converted ferraris ?
a_j_mair

22nd Jul 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

house then marriage then kids, could be a while but saving is always a good idea nd alot easier if you have an end goal

aron

22nd Jul 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's always good to save what you can

i've got a feeling your ferrari fund will become a house fund when it comes down to it (that's no bad thing tbh)
AK

22nd Jul 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i told myself I'd have a ferrari before i'm 30.... I just turned 31

oh well....

Stu has a very good point - Expensive cars dont get cheaper to run.... they just get cheaper to buy.
whitter45

22nd Jul 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the best with your dream

Ben G

22nd Jul 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aron
it's always good to save what you can

i've got a feeling your ferrari fund will become a house fund when it comes down to it (that's no bad thing tbh)

this.

i had a savings fund which ended up becoming a house fund

it never works mate. maybe if you're single and happy at home, yeah that's fine.

but if you have a mrs who actually wants to have a decent life and do all the usual stuff (marraige, house, kids etc) then you won't be able to save up anything if you're on crap wages.

sorry mate maybe 10-15 years down the line things will be different?
AK

22nd Jul 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had savings before.....

most i got to was about 27k then bought a house....

2 house deposits, 2 new engines, new cars, new trailer... something always comes up
Daimo B

22nd Jul 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, its not just "owning" a Ferrari, but the servicing, the parts, the tyres will set you back £1k for the rears probably. Could you afford that?

imo, a house wins, it'll gain value, a car will "mostly" loose value. Whilst it might be your dream car, i'd say go on a driving day, or even if you want one that bad, hire one for a couple of weekends a year. It'll still be far cheaper than owning/running/insuring one.

Or just look at it as a dream for later in life. Im the same, I want everything now, but sometimes good things come to those who wait.

Stu, you old badger, 31 eh..... The big 3 - 0 is next year here What happened to being care free excitable 19 year olds
mattk

22nd Jul 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is a pipe dream.
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been thinking of something similar to get myself an R8 or 911 Turbo for my 30th in 2yrs time. Just stick all money away that I can.

Running costs much be considered also as has been said. Theres no point in buying a 15 bedroom mansion if you cant afford to heat it!!
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Jul 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arent the prices of the 355's slowly going up??

Going by your wage,id say this was a pretty much impossible dream tbh.

Unless you try get a loan for a house,then just spunk it on a 355.
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think F355 prices probably will go up over the next 10yrs. There a classic, everyone loves them & to many are their fav all time ferrari.

Id love one, probably because I grew up staring at pictures of 355's as a kid, but I think it would look a bit out of place parked outside here. A Ferrari's not the sort of thing you park outside a modest cardboard county central scotland schemey home is it! I'd need to buy the vast country estate 1st!

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Colin]
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's one thing buying it but dont forget how much it will cost for a service/parts/tax/insurance. You would need to be on a lot more than 12k to do this, a routine service would probably cost about 2k.
sc0ott

22nd Jul 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this will never happen.

you will spend years saving and more than likely you will want something else before you even reach ferrari prices.
aron

22nd Jul 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

girls love a guy who drives a ferrari (but lives at home)
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be done, I dont like to shit on peoples dreams.....anythings achievable.

I was jut thinking back, last world cup 2006, I was out of work, had a 'hand me down' car off my old man, & no job prospects. 4yrs graft ive got a nice sizeable home, an M3 & a job that pays imo as well as it gets without actually being somebody Anythings achievable if you work at it!! This guy may well have his Ferarri if everything slots into place for him!!
Stu

22nd Jul 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Yup, its not just "owning" a Ferrari, but the servicing, the parts, the tyres will set you back £1k for the rears probably. Could you afford that?

imo, a house wins, it'll gain value, a car will "mostly" loose value. Whilst it might be your dream car, i'd say go on a driving day, or even if you want one that bad, hire one for a couple of weekends a year. It'll still be far cheaper than owning/running/insuring one.

Or just look at it as a dream for later in life. Im the same, I want everything now, but sometimes good things come to those who wait.

Stu, you old badger, 31 eh..... The big 3 - 0 is next year here What happened to being care free excitable 19 year olds

Im 32 now!! How shits that............dont look a day over 25 though and still act like an excitable 19 year old
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 28 a week on Saturday

Still your only as old as the girl you squeeze so that makes me 21 again!!
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about aiming for a 348 instead, similar looks & only half the cost??

One of these down the road from me for sale in a garage for 20k.
aron

22nd Jul 10 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the key to making it happen will be (as mentioned) working hard, taking better employment opportunities and investing/saving well.

anything is possible, if it's what you really want, you'll never lost focus for it and get there eventually

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » saving up.... dream goal 23 database queries in 0.0157080 seconds