corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » do you think

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author do you think
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 09 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi there new to house day soo............do you think 100% mortgages will ever come back?

i really want to get on the property ladder but 10-20 grand deposits are very daunting, then you have fees etc involved, now im tempted to rent a council house, or least apply.

then i could buy it at later date?
AndyKent

3rd Nov 09 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats wrong with saving rather than taking the easy option?
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 09 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would take me about 2 years or a loan to save that kind of money, we need a place soon as the gf is living with me atm but its not a permanent option
Ian W

3rd Nov 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't afford to buy then rent - thats what its there for
oceansoul

3rd Nov 09 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what ive seen its only in this country that everyone see's renting as a bad thing (there was a thread about it somewhere), where as in europe many people rent and then only buy when they retire/close to retire.
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 09 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just 100k mortgages and 10 grand deposits atm make me think is it worth it
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the houses i could afford in my area are all horrid, in rough areas, council offers a affordable solution that i could buy at a later date, save up while renting etc, i earn around 20k a year and the mrs starting a new job on 15k, rent from council it 75 a week round my way, will have time to save while we wait for a place for furnature etc then get a deposit together whilst living there, by that time 5% deposit may be a bit more available
AlexN
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mortgages are over rated, you work your whole life to pay it off, get old, go in a home and they sell it from under you to pay for it.
John

3rd Nov 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 10% deposit mortgage is good atm, when I've been looking it's been at least 15 or 25% to get a half decent rate.
AlunJ

3rd Nov 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing a shared ownership, I pay 5% deposit, bovis put 25% up, I buy the other 75%. After 5 years of just paying my mortgage (no rent on the 25%) I can either start paying the 25% back, or sell up and move on. Means on the house I'm buying for 116,995 I only have to stump up £4 and bit grand deposit. Rate is 4.90% on the mortgage iirc

[Edited on 03-11-2009 by AlunJ]
AndyKent

3rd Nov 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
it would take me about 2 years or a loan to save that kind of money, we need a place soon as the gf is living with me atm but its not a permanent option

At the same time (going by your profile) you're 21, so don't exactly NEED a house, just want one.

If you really want something you could save hard and easily get £20k in a couple of years and get a much better rate.

Or you could keep pushing cash into having a fast car and watch the money disappear
Cavey

3rd Nov 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
I'm doing a shared ownership, I pay 5% deposit, bovis put 25% up, I buy the other 75%. After 5 years of just paying my mortgage (no rent on the 25%) I can either start paying the 25% back, or sell up and move on. Means on the house I'm buying for 116,995 I only have to stump up £4 and bit grand deposit. Rate is 4.90% on the mortgage iirc

That's what we're going for on our place as well, officially they say you don't need a deposit, but it helps. The one we are on is 70-30%, Miller + Government put up the 30%, means you can get a 70% LTV mortgage, so get better rates.

If you don't fancy that, there's a lot of rent before you buy schemes, and similar to that, lower rent than it normally would be, with the idea that you save in the meantime to get some money up to purchase a property
AlunJ

3rd Nov 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to put the 5% down on mine, they don't do the government homebuy in Wales for some strange reason? We're obviously not worthy, but bovis offer their own similiar scheme.
Cavey

3rd Nov 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah. fair enough, but still, minimal deposit = good to get on the ladder
AlunJ

3rd Nov 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, can't wait to get in now still waiting to hear whether my mortgage application has gone through
should be in by end of november if all goes to plan
Cavey

3rd Nov 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ditto, they've asked us if they can get in touch with our employers with regards to our mortgage which is going to add more time on the application, just wanna know whether it's yes or no! Pain in the arse, still aiming for early-mid dec though i think, everything else seems to be going smoothly on ours
taylorboosh

4th Nov 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
quote:

At the same time (going by your profile) you're 21, so don't exactly NEED a house, just want one.

If you really want something you could save hard and easily get £20k in a couple of years and get a much better rate.

Or you could keep pushing cash into having a fast car and watch the money disappear

i get your point about the saving and a better rate, but the gf cant stay at my parents permanent so we do need to sort something
taylorboosh

4th Nov 09 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ

That's what we're going for on our place as well, officially they say you don't need a deposit, but it helps. The one we are on is 70-30%, Miller + Government put up the 30%, means you can get a 70% LTV mortgage, so get better rates.

If you don't fancy that, there's a lot of rent before you buy schemes, and similar to that, lower rent than it normally would be, with the idea that you save in the meantime to get some money up to purchase a property

what scheme are you on mate
Nismo

4th Nov 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant ever see 100% mortgages coming back, thats a thing of the past now sadly, the goverment is making the lenders more strict now too
Conway563

4th Nov 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the houses i could afford in my area are all horrid, in rough areas, council offers a affordable solution that i could buy at a later date, save up while renting etc, i earn around 20k a year and the mrs starting a new job on 15k, rent from council it 75 a week round my way, will have time to save while we wait for a place for furnature etc then get a deposit together whilst living there, by that time 5% deposit may be a bit more available

If you're on that kind of money don't expect a council house.
If you're determined that you have to live together now then go and rent privately.
taylorboosh

4th Nov 09 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:

If you're on that kind of money don't expect a council house.
If you're determined that you have to live together now then go and rent privately.

hate the idea of private renting, being told to get out, not being able to decorate etc.... why shouldnt i be allowed a council house? my parents have 1 and earn about the same.
taylorboosh

4th Nov 09 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well theyve owned it for about 15 years now but did have 1
Conway563

4th Nov 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hate the idea of private renting, being told to get out, not being able to decorate etc.... why shouldnt i be allowed a council house? my parents have 1 and earn about the same.

I've been privately renting different houses for almost 3 years. Never been asked to leave, decorated whatever I want.

From experience of trying to get a council house previously, (even when I was a single parent) it's not at easy as you seem to think. Unless you'd like a bedsit surrounded by addicts?
Cavey

4th Nov 09 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Private renting is generally fine, as long as you respect the fact it's someone elses house at the end of the day, people are good with you, if you ask to decorate etc, they'll probably let you.

We're going for HomeBuy Direct scheme John, lots of into on the net if you google it. Basics are 70-30 equity, you own 100% though, you don't pay on the 30% for 5 years then it's 1.75% or something.

Means you only need a 70% LTV, so get better rates, and as far as I know it doesn't need a deposit, we gave one anyway to get our mortgage down though.

We're paying £500 a mnth renting, we can get a house valued at 190k for £585 a month, so had to go for it really
Twiggy

4th Nov 09 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I painted our hall a few mths ago! Hope the like it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » do you think 24 database queries in 0.1955290 seconds