corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn?
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 12 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outside of work obviously, as it tends to potentially upset people within the same company

I've never understood why people are so secretive over it. You have a big tv, nice car, gold plated dog etc and 90% of the time are willing to talk about it, telling people what you paid for your car and so on, but won't tell anyone what you get in you pocket every month.

My brother won't discuss it, not even with me.

Am I alone in thinking its odd?
baza31

16th Nov 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be but now am on 150k a year I don't mind people knowing but last thing I'd do is tell people on cs am on 150k a year and that Justin beiber really doesn't annoy me and how comfortable I am on 150k
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't discuss what I earn in general. That is my business and no one else's
Balling
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't talk about what I earn as I can't see that information being useful to anyone except to compare with their own income.

Once I was very open about it, but people seemed very inclined to give financial advice based on their knowledge of my wages, and I don't care for that.

If there's an actual benefit from me telling and not just dick-measuring, then I'm happy to share.

nathy_87

16th Nov 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88

This.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Why is that the case though?
baza31

16th Nov 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I don't talk about what I earn as I can't see that information being useful to anyone except to compare with their own income.

Once I was very open about it, but people seemed very inclined to give financial advice based on their knowledge of my wages, and I don't care for that.

If there's an actual benefit from me telling and not just dick-measuring, then I'm happy to share.

This is code for I get £45 a week JSA
spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Balling says though. Me and Dave have discussed our incomes based in our roles. We were seeing if roles of a similar ish nature we gt paid the same or what we thought we should. No dick measuring just for our own use to determine if our wage is on par with what we would expect.
spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:

Why is that the case though?

Why do you need or want to know how much I earn?
Half Pint

16th Nov 12 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I try not to discuss wages in or out of work as people get very emotional where money is concerned especially if you happen to earn or have more.
Balling
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
This is code for I get £45 a week JSA

Tom G

16th Nov 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really care too much

I certaintly wouldn't be offended someone asking, I would just politely decline.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not too fussed to be honest, if someone asks me out of the blue just being a nosey sod i wont, but if were talking about it or something to do with my lack of money then yer i will tell people no problem
James

16th Nov 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't tell anyone unless they asked me and I'd only tell someone that I would trust to not tell anyone else.

Having said that, I have a selection of ex-colleagues in my industry where we openly discuss our salaries. It's good to have an idea of what other people in similar roles are earning as it gives you something to aim for.
Whittie

16th Nov 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only people that ask are the ones that want to know if you earn less than them, so they feel more important.
LeeM

16th Nov 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I earn nothing. Student ftw
spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
I earn nothing. Student ftw

Scrounger! In a student and I earn.

Have a bath too!!
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just don't see why it's normal to keep that to yourself but have a £1500 TV, a £1000 watch and a £25,000 car parked outside your 4 bed detached house
spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just don't see why it's normal to keep that to yourself but have a £1500 TV, a £1000 watch and a £25,000 car parked outside your 4 bed detached house

I don't go round telling people how much my car, watch, tv, house cost!

End of the day you can have all those things and been in huge debt. Or have them all paid off. Just because you have them doesn't mean you earn what it costs to have them if you get me?
Whittie

16th Nov 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Finance TV, company car, and huge mortgage.... Doesn't always mean you're on a mega wage
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It makes me a bit uncomfortable, not sure why... it shouldn't really as I've got nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

I told my Dad last year as I was dealing with a tax rebate and needed his advice, was a bit weird as he's the only person (other than my boss(es) and girlfriend) that knows.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

Denmark and UK have almost exactly the same average gross income, we just pay more taxes, have a higher VAT on everything as well as inflated tax on cars...

Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

Finance TV, company car, and huge mortgage.... Doesn't always mean you're on a mega wage

Huge mortgage goes hand in hand with a big wage
James

16th Nov 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it depends how you view your salary. Some people don't really care, but I work in an industry where money is at the forefront of almost every person's mind. Come November/December, the only thing people talk about is bonuses and payrises.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn? 23 database queries in 0.1095061 seconds