corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 12 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I just don't see why it's normal to keep that to yourself but have a £1500 TV, a £1000 watch and a £25,000 car parked outside your 4 bed detached house
Why is it normal to calculate what anybody else has spend on TV's, watches, cars and house? Why do you care about what other people earn and own? How does it affect you?

spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I think it depends how you view your salary. Some people don't really care, but I work in an industry where money is at the forefront of almost every person's mind. Come November/December, the only thing people talk about is bonuses and payrises.

I have noticed similar in the property industry regarding money.

That is all people are worried about.
Not just in relation to salary, but also development.

Never mind working out how best a development would work an minimise impact, they just say how much money can we make

Money is evil
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could own a Corsa D out right and have another £300 a month to spend on clothes, booze and crap... or I could have a leased C - Class coupe or something like that.

Likewise I could have the latest 40" tesco special samsung TV or I could have a five year old panny plasma which cost several thousands at the time.

I'm really not sure how people can gauge salaries based on possessions.

Mortgage maybe slightly different, but what about inheritances or renting? I could rent a 3bed detached around here for the same monthly costs as my 1bed flat is costing me in mortgage payments

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
I just don't see why it's normal to keep that to yourself but have a £1500 TV, a £1000 watch and a £25,000 car parked outside your 4 bed detached house
Why is it normal to calculate what anybody else has spend on TV's, watches, cars and house? Why do you care about what other people earn and own? How does it affect you?

It doesn't affect me, that's the point but as it doesn't affect me, I'm not sure why it's so important to be shady about it.

I don't mind if corsa120 earns £30k, James earns less than the guy he sits near or my brother earns twice my salary, I just can't get my head round why anyone would say 'I'm not telling you' if asked.

I'm all for not blurting it out in the street...
spencer88

16th Nov 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mortgage is no different. Bloke I work with took no pay for 6 months (had savings) then got double pay for 6 months so it looked, based on his wage slips like he want twice what he actually did. Got a mortgage for a load more than the bank would lend on his normal salary but he easily pays it per month
James

16th Nov 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone asked me, I would make a judgement call on whether or not I thought telling them would actually change anything.

If I didn't think it would, I would tell them. If I thought they would start looking down their nose at me or something like that, I wouldn't tell them.
Tom

16th Nov 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If someone asked me, I would make a judgement call on whether or not I thought telling them would actually change anything.

If I didn't think it would, I would tell them. If I thought they would start looking down their nose at me or something like that, I wouldn't tell them.

Pretty much this.
Graham88

16th Nov 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't personally bother me but I tend not to discuss it as people on less money in my experience just think you are bragging. Which I am the completely opposite of really I'm quite secretive about the money side of things as I do hear through other people about how so and so thinks I'm showing off or whatever when I buy something :s

I really don't get it but maybe some people share the same view?

And also if somebody says they are on more money I'm happy for them and I guess it inspires you to work harder or find new ways to make money

[Edited on 16-11-2012 by Graham88]
whitter45

16th Nov 12 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I happily discuss it with my mates etc

But the fact is none of us really care what each other earns

Always been a taboo subject with my father though - either of us do not know what each other earns - but again I am not that bothered anyway
James

16th Nov 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like to know how much my friends earn so I know how much respect I should give them.

Balling
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It doesn't affect me, that's the point but as it doesn't affect me, I'm not sure why it's so important to be shady about it.
There's nothing shady about not disclosing very personal matters.

Why is it so important to you that people talk about it?

Personal economy is a touchy subject. Shitty as it may seem, how much we earn has a huge impact on what we can do and how we can live our lives. A lot of people are or feel they are some how limited to live within the confines of their income and even if you're happy about your job and how much you earn it's not necessarily fun to feel judged on it by other people.

[Edited on 16-11-2012 by Balling]

whitter45

16th Nov 12 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also measuring peoples wages and success via possessions is whythis country is in the state its in

People are judged on the size of house/mortage, car on the drive, watches they wear etc which seems daft
3CorsaMeal

16th Nov 12 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer to tell people what i donate.

I hope people on here are giving to children in need this week. Every single one of us on here is lucky to live the life we have.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
also measuring peoples wages and success via possessions is whythis country is in the state its in

People are judged on the size of house/mortage, car on the drive, watches they wear etc which seems daft

Why does it?

If you have a big house, chances are, you are fairly successful.

If you have a good company car, the same applies.

How is judging success on possessions daft?
Balling
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why does it?

If you have a big house, chances are, you are fairly successful.

If you have a good company car, the same applies.

How is judging success on possessions daft?
The daft thing is that you actually do it.

James

16th Nov 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In 9 out 10 cases, judging success on possessions is an accurate way of doing it.

You will get the odd millionaire that lives in a council house and drives an old Corrado and you will get the odd person that earns very little but has somehow managed to finance a good lifestyle.
John

16th Nov 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I often see half decent cars outside of not so good houses and think they must be company cars. They aren't doing that well.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how you define half decent. By age or by actual value?

A brand new insignia is cheaper than a 2 year old loaded a5.
John

16th Nov 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make it up as I go along.
3CorsaMeal

16th Nov 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In 9 out 10 cases, judging success on possessions is an accurate way of doing it.

You will get the odd millionaire that lives in a council house and drives an old Corrado and you will get the odd person that earns very little but has somehow managed to finance a good lifestyle.

its not a council house ffs
Nath

16th Nov 12 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not fussed. I certainly don't get all weird and awkward about it if the topic comes up.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Make it up as I go along.

gazza808

16th Nov 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't fuss me, I get underpaid and not paid a lot,
Doesn't fuss me if some one earns more,
I made my choices,
My mate for some reason always lies about his wage in general convo and I don't get why lol
Only comes up when discussing cost of living etc.
Ian W

16th Nov 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange thing to be asked imo
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is something I have never discussed and I have never asked anyone either. My mrs doesn't even know what I earn

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you bothered about people knowing what you earn? 23 database queries in 0.1225200 seconds