corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Oil pump failure

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Oil pump failure
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Nov 12 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys

Think I have oil pump failure on my engine just after a second opinion.

Started it up this morning, very tappy, oil gauge reads 0 and oil light is on. Plenty of oil in it. Pressure never increases.

How much of a pig is changing the oil pump? Is it just belts off and undo and replace the pump?
bigron1988

14th Nov 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alt belt of,cam belt cover of, take cam belt of, undo crank bolt and take crank pulley of, then take sump of, take pick up pipe of, then undo the oil pump from the side of black, with the sump of i would also be checking that it has not killed the bearings too
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ron, doesn't sound too complex
bigron1988

14th Nov 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nar just a sometimes a cunt to take the crank bolt out
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you drop the sump first you can then lock the crank with a piece of wood to undo the crank bolt or just use a windy gun. like ron said check your bearings and up the bores while your in there. pumps dont usually 'just stop working'. before you fit the new pump check the screws in it are tight ive had them come loose and found them loose on brand new pumps! best to loctite them in!
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
if you drop the sump first you can then lock the crank with a piece of wood to undo the crank bolt or just use a windy gun. like ron said check your bearings and up the bores while your in there. pumps dont usually 'just stop working'. before you fit the new pump check the screws in it are tight ive had them come loose and found them loose on brand new pumps! best to loctite them in!

for the last week or so ive noticed it takes the gauge around 10 seconds to read which i thought was odd. also when ive been driving for a bit and stop at lights etc i noticed it going down to 1 . which i just assumed was because the oil is thinner when hot?
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could be the oil presure regulator thats at fault but thats all part of a new pump anyway. best check your bearings and bores maybe worth taking the cam cover off to to check cams for damage if ouve been runing that lower oil preasure for a while. should be around 60psi/4bar on a health engine more on some engines.
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it could be the oil presure regulator thats at fault but thats all part of a new pump anyway. best check your bearings and bores maybe worth taking the cam cover off to to check cams for damage if ouve been runing that lower oil preasure for a while. should be around 60psi/4bar on a health engine more on some engines.

when its driving its always been around there. used to idle around 2 bar. hope it hasn't done any damage. since its been tapping i haven't driven it at all. was doing some cleaning on the bay yesterday lunch and there was no tapping what so ever.
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[img]http://[/img]

this is what happen when i had 'a little ticking' low oil preasure, thought it was cheep newman cams lifters ended up with full rebuild, reground crank new block and pistons, £1000 on parts. 2 bar on idle isnt to bad so long as it rises with rpm? this is when new pump fell apart!
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh dear hope thats not what mines like! yeah it went up to around 4-6 when the revs went up. looked to go up and down like normal to be honest. was going up perfectly fine last night when i drove home aswell. was literally just this morning and today theres been no pressure.
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at a guess i'd say regulator failed or stuck. you should be ok but check while sump is off!
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
at a guess i'd say regulator failed or stuck. you should be ok but check while sump is off!

if its the regulator thats on the pump isnt it? so makes no difference on repairing it ?

[Edited on 14-11-2012 by deadliner]
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah in the pump

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all part of the pump assembly they come complete. you can get the parts but its not worth the hassle for what a new pump costs.
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
all part of the pump assembly they come complete. you can get the parts but its not worth the hassle for what a new pump costs.

Ok so good, realistically it's unlikely be anything else is it?
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant say without seeing it. prepair for the worst then when it isnt you feel better! just check everything like ron said to be sure.
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
cant say without seeing it. prepair for the worst then when it isnt you feel better! just check everything like ron said to be sure.

Cheers Dave, ill keep you updated
andy_mk3

14th Nov 12 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil pump failed on my mk3 astra recently, drove a few hundred yards with the oil light on to get home. Replaced oil pump and cam, soon after the bottom end started knocking like a twat
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah great.
corsadonk
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my pump broke on my XE it siezed the engine while trying to turn it over. I thought it might of been the starter, tried it a few times it caught and fired up. I got a mile down the road and it started to knock. Drove it home, took it apart and the pump was in bits.
Martin W
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
When my pump broke on my XE it siezed the engine while trying to turn it over. I thought it might of been the starter, tried it a few times it caught and fired up. I got a mile down the road and it started to knock. Drove it home, took it apart and the pump was in bits.

Any damage to the engine itself?
corsadonk
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I had to fit a new set of shells.
Martin W
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
Yeah, I had to fit a new set of shells.

Ah If that's all that happens ill be happy. Gonna redo the rings anyway
Dan
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it tapping? One post u said it wasn't?

Check oil pressure sender wiring/sender

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Martin W
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Is it tapping? One post u said it wasn't?

Check oil pressure sender wiring/sender

Yes it is tapping. Checked both of them light on dash is still on and gauge us still reading. 0. Engine is apart now for rings and pump to be done anyway

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll