corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is it worth upgrading an iPad to a MacBook air?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it worth upgrading an iPad to a MacBook air?
LeeM

User status: Offline
27th Jun 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And how much is the iPad worth? Bought it the end of December, mint condition 16gb white wifi.
Thinking of selling and getting an 11" air which is £730 with my student discount, iPads excellent just no good for Uni which was one of its main purposes. I'd get rid of my laptop and iPad, build a windows desktop for solidworks and just have the MBA for Uni, Internet and films etc on the train.

Anyone with an air and an iPad think the air is as portable?
noshua

27th Jun 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll probably end up getting one considering you're already asking the question.

But, how weak are you that you can't carry a standard 13-17" laptop around? I pretty much had mine every day in my last year of Uni and it was no bother?
ed

27th Jun 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got and use both, albeit a 13" Air. The iPad is great for some stuff and the Mac is great for work as it's so portable and has brilliant battery life. I've not managed to get Solidworks on my Mac yet though, either the DVD drive I tried to use was incompatible with Parallels or Apple want you to fork out for one of their DVD drives (not a chance).
LeeM

27th Jun 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been trying to make my mind up for ages whether or not I want a small MacBook and ended up with an iPad. I was avoiding the air because I use traktor and found out it runs perfectly on the new airs.
I just want somethin small and light I can chuck in my bag and not notice its there. The bonus is that if it only costs me between 4 and 500 to upgrade it will still be worth that much next time I upgrade
Rob_Quads

28th Jun 12 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 13" air and have found it to be brillient. Its amazingly easy to carry around. I have a thin slip for it and it looks like I am just carrying a A4 pad around.

We tend to use it much more around the house now. We have an iPad in the hosue by the wife always still prefers the Air over the iPad if its sitting there.

Its a large investment that's for sure but for the form factor it does the job awesomely. Thankfully they hold their value OK too as there are no alternatives.
LeeM

28th Jun 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are alternatives from dell and another I've seen, both a grand or more! For a small ultra book the apples actually the cheaper option
Whittie

28th Jun 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got a Macbook Pro havn't you?

If so, then no, you'd be an idiot imo.
LeeM

28th Jun 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I didn't get one in the end I'm better off with a windows machine for my main computer for compatibility at Uni.
Currently have a Lenovo laptop, iPad and desktop. Idea is to upgrade the desktop and replace the laptop and iPad with the air
Rob_Quads

28th Jun 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
There are alternatives from dell and another I've seen, both a grand or more! For a small ultra book the apples actually the cheaper option

Sorry should have said - there are some PC based alternatives but there are none to the same specs as the Air for similar price. Dell and Samsung both have similar products but to get the same specs as those in the Air you have to spend more. Even if you want to run Windows for the form factor your better with a Air running windows.
LeeM

28th Jun 12 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't make my mind up, keep thinking for £100 more I can get the 13" pro, but don't need one of them lol
Rob_Quads

28th Jun 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember that the 13" pro has a lower res screen than the 13" air. It also doesn't have the SSD which has a major effect on day to day use.

From the reports I found when i was looking everyone found the Air faster to use than the Pro unless you were maxing out the CPU doing photo/video processing
Doug

29th Jun 12 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did just that. iPad2 to Top spec i7 MacBook Air.

Don't regret it one little bit!

New Poll