corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » So who actually bought an iPad then?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So who actually bought an iPad then?
AndyKent

User status: Offline
31st Jul 10 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember the announcement thread being a million pages long, but from the posts on here it doesn't seem that many people actually bought one in the end.

Obviously I've got one, and Bart too, but other than that I don't know anyone else.

Just wondered why those interested at the time haven't bought one in the end?

Too expensive? Lacking features? Cheaper stuff available elsewhere?

Don't care if you bash it or not since I love mine, but thought I'd ask out of interest.....
jamied

31st Jul 10 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got one about 2 months ago. I dont think its "magical and revolutionary" but I agree with you I love mine too
I think the drawbacks of the iPhone become more apparent on the iPad like flash and email attachments such as wmv and few other niggly bits. the multi tasking /new IOS is needed desperately IMO. Saying all that though its a great gadget, and games like NFS look amazing and I love browsing web while watching tv and not having to boot netbook up etc etc.
LeeM

31st Jul 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be getting one but have had far too much to pay for recently!
AndyKent

31st Jul 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed. 90% of the time the lack of multitasking is fine, but stuff like taking notes or writing an email becomes long winded when you have to close an app and open another to look something up.

I find myself using much less apps than I used to have on my iPod. Got a few productivity things, couple of games but other than that fairly barren.
Jambo

1st Aug 10 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John

Andrew

1st Aug 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be getting one before Christmas hopefully.

I didn't really see the point in them at first. But ideal for reading things online, books, picking up e-mail all from the sofa. A netbook would be cheaper but no as cool and does not have as long battery life.
ed

1st Aug 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really something I'd see myself using.
Joe

1st Aug 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I will get one when they bring another one out that can do a bit more, plus I can't justify it at the moment. Would like one though.
Marc

1st Aug 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice "gadget" (as thats all it is in my eyes)

I won't be buying one for the following reasons:

- Price for starters!
- Own a laptop
- Own an iPhone
- Prefer to actually have a book

I can see the advantages of having all your books in one place, but that doesn't warrant the price tag and its essentially a poor spec pc.
ssj_kakarot

1st Aug 10 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

already have a laptop dont see the point, every one says its nice to sit and browse with it on the couch but i do that with a laptop fine :/
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously biased but it does work much better than a laptop (and netbook tbh) due to the portability, and the screen is way easier to use than an iPhone for extended periods.

I suspected price would be the major issue though. I said wouldn't buy one because of the price to start with - £300 would have been more like it, but in the end had a but of spare cash so thought fuck it.

It's easy to sing it's praises when you've forgotten about the cost though
Brett
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Obviously biased but it does work much better than a laptop (and netbook tbh) due to the portability, and the screen is way easier to use than an iPhone for extended periods.

I disagree entirely and that's not just because I want to be an ass. The sheer lack of functionality an iPad has will always make it a much lesser gadget than a laptop. How it's more portable than a netbook, i'll never know. Not forgetting the screen is always exposed when it's being transported.

[Edited on 01-08-2010 by loafofbrett]
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disagree all you like. I find it way more portable. It's lighter, thinner and you don't have to have a compromise between a small screen and a crappy cheap keyboard.

Not that portability is the main thing I like about it but nevermind.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you're just using shit laptops to me? Any keyboard is better than an on-screen one. Lighter? My laptop weighs 1KG, that's not heavy. Not sure on the iPad, but I bet there's just as light netbooks. Screen size too, 9.7" on the iPad, mines 10". My screen doesn't go half the size when I use the keyboard either. Saying it's better than a laptop/netbook is silly tbh. Also, a flat slate, or a flat keyboard with a screen angle I can adjust to suit my seating position? hmmmm....
ssj_kakarot

1st Aug 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really more functional than a laptop :/

even my net book which weighs fuck all is tiny and has a 10" screen and runs a proper operating system

how can a poor specced pc with a limited Os be better :/
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't say it was better all the time - it doesn't fully replace a laptop and it's not really meant to. Doesn't bother me in any case. It's better for 90% of my browsing, emailing etc though.

And I'm not just saying that to justify the money spent on it, I find it's a genuinely useful device.

Do I care that it's not running a full OS - no, doesn't need one.
Do I care that half the screen gets filled with the on screen keyboard - no, you only need a little bit of space to see the bit you're currently typing.

Will people still tell me I wrong, no doubt.
ssj_kakarot

1st Aug 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well no ones saying your wrong and no one is debating if you find the device usefull or not.

saying it works better than a laptop on the other hand....
Brett
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Andy, I don't doubt people love it and it suits them perfectly, I was just commenting on the points you made.
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe better was the wrong word. It's more straightforward to use, simpler, less faffing about with anti virus and stuff, plus nippy to open everything.

You never have to load, no loading times and stuff. That's what I meant by better - suits me better.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you're clutching at straws with the loading time stuff.

If you wanted a laptop to be simple (i.e. less functionality) then you could just load media centre or some other plugin like that, so everything is in a tacky menu.
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hardly clutching at straws. It's one of the major benefits.

One click and it turns on. Another click and I'm on the net. You find me a netbook that opens programs as quick as that. The ability to instantly turn it on and off is one of the biggest benefits.

I think most of these points could be applied to any tablet though. I've wanted a touchscreen 'computer' for ages - something bigger and better than a smartphone and this fits the bill so well. If HP had released theirs first I'd have bought that instead.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing it's one click on thing is because it's either in standby or hibernating in some way or another. My laptop can do that too, one click and it's on

Again, what you've paid so much for is hardly anything original or new. Fair play if you like it, but quit with the 'better than this/that' stuff.
AndyKent

1st Aug 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer

1st Aug 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put films on my gaffers before he went on holiday, I actually liked it It's perfect for things like watching film or reading e-books when travelling.

I could see myself getting one when they have caught up with things laptops did in 1890, like multi-tasking.
ed

1st Aug 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's bizarre how iOS4 hasn't been released for iPad.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll