corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » So who actually bought an iPad then?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So who actually bought an iPad then?
ed

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The iPad has also been in development for many more years than the iPhone. Yet it doesn't have the latest OS and it doesn't have the same features.
Nath

2nd Aug 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CS wouldn't be CS without the daily Apple bashings.
Marc

2nd Aug 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
The iPad has also been in development for many more years than the iPhone. Yet it doesn't have the latest OS and it doesn't have the same features.

Doesn't make it rubbish though, just shows that Apple are making people fork out for a basic product, then they will release the singing all dancing one so people upgrade. Pretty much what has happened with the iP4. Rival phones had the 5mp camera years ago, and I dare say as people have said, the HTC etc may be a better spec, but people like the brand.

Car manufacturers do it, football clubs do it by bringing out a new shirt every year, Microsoft have just done it with the XBox 360 by finally releasing it with Wi-Fi, previous one still sold bucket loads and was technically inferior to the PS3.
A2H GO

2nd Aug 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
how easy is it to read the ipad outdoors?

I'm considering getting a new kindle to read e books on (As I can download pirate ebooks for free ) - i would love to sit in the garden reading them.

When they were comparing them on the gadget show(e-reader and ipad and another) Jon took them to Barbados to test them in the sun, iPad came out on top in terms of seeing the screen in direct light.

Wasn't it exactly the opposite?

I'd have to watch it again to be 100% sure but IIRC the Kindle was terrible in sunlight.
ssj_kakarot

2nd Aug 10 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
how easy is it to read the ipad outdoors?

I'm considering getting a new kindle to read e books on (As I can download pirate ebooks for free ) - i would love to sit in the garden reading them.

When they were comparing them on the gadget show(e-reader and ipad and another) Jon took them to Barbados to test them in the sun, iPad came out on top in terms of seeing the screen in direct light.

Wasn't it exactly the opposite?

I'd have to watch it again to be 100% sure but IIRC the Kindle was terrible in sunlight.

have to disagree on that e-ink is just shades of grey and mine is perfect in direct sunlight.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/jon-test/ereaders

review of them being used abroad in sunlight.

cant find a video of e-readers with the ipad in it on the gadget show, sure it wasnt just comparing other e-readers.
Bart

2nd Aug 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dam, I've missed this thread all together!

I own one
Marc

2nd Aug 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what are your views on the topic Bartholomew?
AndyKent

2nd Aug 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd expect the e-ink to be infinitely better than the iPad in sunlight. The iPad screen is designed to be pretty, the e-ink designed to give a more natural reading experience (indoors and out)
A2H GO

2nd Aug 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to disagree on that e-ink is just shades of grey and mine is perfect in direct sunlight.

cant find a video of e-readers with the ipad in it on the gadget show, sure it wasnt just comparing other e-readers.

Cant view the link at work, is that the one where he's in Barbados?

Thinking about it ive probably made that up in my head now as i also remember them testing the iPad seperately against a laptop. Did they slate one for not being very good in sunlight?
Bart

2nd Aug 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
And what are your views on the topic Bartholomew?

I used to own a Desktop PC which I used for webdesign, photoshop and general work along with a laptop which was only used for browsing the net whilst sat in the lounge/bedroom etc.

I've since sold the laptop and only use an iPad and would never look back.

I think if your looking for something you can do alot of work on, then an iPad isnt really for you, but if your looking for a simple device for browsing the net, playing games etc, then this i not for you.
ssj_kakarot

2nd Aug 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Cant view the link at work, is that the one where he's in Barbados?

Thinking about it ive probably made that up in my head now as i also remember them testing the iPad seperately against a laptop. Did they slate one for not being very good in sunlight?

yeah that him in barbados, think its the one your thinking of just comparing e-readers not the ipad.
jamied

13th Sep 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GTA is out for iPad now...graphics look spot on
stubs

13th Sep 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jamied
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Thats a slightly different situation though.

A lot of smartphones were available with horrible styluses - consumers don't want to be poking and prodding around with a silly little pen. I had an acer pda thing a few years back and though it could do bits and pieces there were no decent apps for it.

All Apple did was create something that was easier for consumers to use and marketed it at them, rather than business.

exactly

@ comparing 1990's 'smartphone's' to the iPhone.

I had 3 different 'smartphones' since 2000 and they each had touchscreens with stylus's... horrible to use day to day in comparrison to the iphone. The last one I had when the iphone was out but I was ignorant towards Apple, thinking they were just for poncing about with.
Rob_Quads

13th Sep 10 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to agree with that. Had lots of Windows Mobile and hated apple products with a passion but still conceed that the iPhone just wipes the floor and also now having used a friends iPad it fills the role that many people

Everyone is going on about it missing a camera but I could not care less about the camera. What i do want is user profiles. A swipe per user to unlock, job done.
John

13th Sep 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple want you to spend £600 per user though, not share it (not trolling, that's how they operate)
Norcy91

13th Sep 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dads got one and i cant really see the big appeal of it! I know its handy to have because its not exactly big and you can easily just get onto the internet straight away, but i can do most of the stuff on my iphone, it just has a smaller screen. If i had to choose an iPad or a Macbook i'd go for a Macbook, the iPad needs a main computer to run off in the first place so to me it seems pointless in having a PC or laptop and an iPad as well, when you can just get a laptop/macbook that does both the PCs job and the iPads
A2H GO

13th Sep 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
My dads got one and i cant really see the big appeal of it! I know its handy to have because its not exactly big and you can easily just get onto the internet straight away, but i can do most of the stuff on my iphone, it just has a smaller screen. If i had to choose an iPad or a Macbook i'd go for a Macbook, the iPad needs a main computer to run off in the first place so to me it seems pointless in having a PC or laptop and an iPad as well, when you can just get a laptop/macbook that does both the PCs job and the iPads

Why do you need a main computer and an iPad? You wouldn't buy an iPad if you needed it to do things it can't and therefore need a PC aswel, unless you had money to burn/are an apple fanboy.
dannymccann

13th Sep 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably because it will wither and die without Itunes, shitty cumbersome software
AndyKent

13th Sep 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You definitely need a computer to use the iPad - no two ways about it. If you want music/video on it you have to plug it in (or use YouTube I guess).

If you don't want to load stuff onto it though you could just about get away without using a PC providing it turns into an internet surfing device. You can do word processing stuff on it though a proper computer is better.

For surfing the Internet though, I've not found anything nicer to use than my iPad.
Norcy91

13th Sep 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91

Why do you need a main computer and an iPad? You wouldn't buy an iPad if you needed it to do things it can't and therefore need a PC aswel, unless you had money to burn/are an apple fanboy.

Well i'd imagine the lack of a CD drive would stop you being able to do alot of things with it, and you'd probably want to back it up onto a PC/laptop with a proper hard drive
AndyKent

13th Sep 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who uses CDs in computers these days? Can't remember the last time, other than to play a game, i used a CD
A2H GO

13th Sep 10 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot about the fact you need iTunes

And there was me considering selling my laptop and getting an iPad as ALL i use my laptop for is browsing.

As for needing a CD drive, you wouldn't buy one if you used a CD drive on a regular basis.
Norcy91

13th Sep 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Who uses CDs in computers these days? Can't remember the last time, other than to play a game, i used a CD

People who want music off cd's they already have?

I don't think people would just buy it again off itunes because they don't want to use the CD in their computer...

You already answered your own question by saying you used a CD for a game, theres plenty of people out there that use their computers for games instead of an Xbox/PS3 etc
Root

13th Sep 10 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People might think "oh wow look how cool this is, I must have one".

But no. All it really is, is a touchscreen laptop, regardless of how you put it. A very overpriced touchscreen laptop.

I've not been one to buy something just because it's "hyped", I tend to do the opposite. If I want something, I'll get it but not because everyone else has it or because it's cool, then it'd just be a waste of money when a laptop does the same thing?

Anyway I don't have a laptop, my desktop is great.
AndyKent

13th Sep 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
People might think "oh wow look how cool this is, I must have one".

But no. All it really is, is a touchscreen laptop, regardless of how you put it. A very overpriced touchscreen laptop.

I've not been one to buy something just because it's "hyped", I tend to do the opposite. If I want something, I'll get it but not because everyone else has it or because it's cool, then it'd just be a waste of money when a laptop does the same thing?

Anyway I don't have a laptop, my desktop is great.

Or what if I wanted one because I wanted one? You could make the exact same comment about smartphones - why do you need a powerful phone when a laptop and a basic phone would do?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll