corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SSD

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SSD
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
30th May 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

I know this has been asked a couple of times before but there was a few questions that haven't been asked.

I'm looking at getting a 120/128GB SSD, be it Crucial, OCZ or CorsAir. How do i find out which version of Sata my netbook uses?

Are they relatively straight forward to swap over from your usual optical drive?

Are the gains really that noticeable?

Thanks guys
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google the make and model of your laptop and look for a page with detailed specs.

Yes gains are noticeable. I recently bought a Crucial 128GB SSD for my old HP laptop (which runs SATA I even though the drive supports up to SATA III) and everything runs so much quicker on it.

It's only an old AMD 64 X2 1.7GHz dual core system with 2GB RAM, but when I click on anything like Internet Explorer or Word/Excel for example it literally just opens up straight away whereas before it would be many, many seconds before something happened!

Laptop temperature is also much cooler as a result = me not having to spend money getting the graphic chip reballed on to the motherboard again due to overheating!

Regardless of netbook or laptop, most of the time there's just a cover underneath the laptop that you unscrew and then you can pull out your existing HDD.

It would complement a netbook quite well I think especially as they are normally low power systems anyway, and SSDs use sod all power compared to HDDs.

[Edited on 30-05-2012 by Sam]
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a quick google and the only thing i can find is the current HDD is a Sata 2? I've tried searching to see if it supports Sata 3 but no luck.

By any chance do you have one of the HP G6000's that suffer from overheating?

Well i use my netbook 90% more than i use my MacBook as it's easier to carry about and i've upgraded the ram to 2GB ddr3 and the processor is soldered to the board so no chance that can be upgraded so a SDD is the next thing.

I just don't want to pay the additional premium of a Sata 3 if it only supports Sata 2 though.

O and how do you install the OS on the SSD as it will be blank?

Thanks
evilrob
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To install the OS you'll need an external CD drive, or you can probably make a bootable USB stick if your BIOS supports booting from USB.

You're better off getting a SATA III drive as I'm pretty sure you have more choice and the difference in price is negligible - SATA III is backwards compatible so should work with your netbook fine.

Intel 520 series and Samsung 830 series are good drives at the moment.
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes that's what mine is, a HP G6000 (G6031EA I think the 'proper' model number is).

Had to have it sent off to have the GPU reballed as graphics and wireless didn't work.

The drive is backwards compatible, most SSDs nowadays support SATA III, you might find the odd one for sale at a low price that only supports up to SATA II for example, but I'd go for one that supports SATA III as you will inevitably get another netbook/laptop at some stage that will support those speeds (if your current netbook doesn't already).

As for the OS, Windows 7 or Ubuntu you could just boot from an external DVD drive and it will format the drive for you during setup - same procedure as if it was a hard drive.
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well at the moment there is around £20/30 difference between the two. I don't want to spend loads as the laptop is only for doing coursework/work on and to surf the net and watch netflix occasionally on.
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the one i've at home is a HP G6061EA, i was hoping the processor would be a swap for my girlfriends AMD sempron but the socket is different so a no go.

I have seem these kits which come with software and it effectively copies your HDD contents onto the SSD?
evilrob
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This looks like a bargain 120gb for £64

http://www.dabs.com/products/sandisk-120gb-ultra-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive--read-280mb-s--write-270mb-s--7N6G.html?refs=41580000-56350000&src=3
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would get the SATA III one for future proofing purposes.

I bought the Crucial M4 128GB SSD for £89.99 from Amazon - I had originally bought an OCZ 'Petrol' and it was a piece of crap, it just died and there are loads of people on various forums moaning about how shit they are.

Edit - The M4 is now £85 on Amazon so even cheaper!

Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
This looks like a bargain 120gb for £64

http://www.dabs.com/products/sandisk-120gb-ultra-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive--read-280mb-s--write-270mb-s--7N6G.html?refs=41580000-56350000&src=3

This is the SSD i was looking at, with the SanDisk Extreme as the Sata 3 alternative
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's this as well:

http://www.ebuyer.com/341349-kingston-120gb-v-200-ssd-offer-ends-31st-may-svp200s3-120g

That's SATA III too.
evilrob
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see your dilemma... when you can get something that will do the job for a 'light use' machine - is it worth that extra 20/30 quid for "future proofing"?

If you're not planning on getting a new netbook/small laptop for another year at least, probably not worth getting the SATAIII one - there will be something new out by the time you come to replace probably.
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well for that case I might as well go for the Kingston as its a nice medium in price between the 2 SanDisk SSD's.

Will have a look at some reviews
evilrob
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam 1 - 0 Evilrob
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah you've both been helpful. Hoping to get one very soon as it should make the terrible Atom processor a little quicker
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Yes that's what mine is, a HP G6000 (G6031EA I think the 'proper' model number is).

Had to have it sent off to have the GPU reballed as graphics and wireless didn't work.

The drive is backwards compatible, most SSDs nowadays support SATA III, you might find the odd one for sale at a low price that only supports up to SATA II for example, but I'd go for one that supports SATA III as you will inevitably get another netbook/laptop at some stage that will support those speeds (if your current netbook doesn't already).

As for the OS, Windows 7 or Ubuntu you could just boot from an external DVD drive and it will format the drive for you during setup - same procedure as if it was a hard drive.

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay to have the GPU sorted?

Would it be worth it stripping down 2 laptop to sell components? Have 2 at home that are a couple of year old that have died (GPU on HP and DC connector on a Toshiba), just wondered if it would be worth it to make some cash?
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you wanted to keep the laptop and use it all the time it isn't worth getting it repaired TBH, working models sell for between £100-£150 on eBay (and there's no guarantee that the GPU has been sorted on them or not).

I would either sell them on as spares/repairs laptops, or if you're not bothered about getting a quick return strip and sell the parts off them.

The LCDs will be quite desirable as there seems to be a shortage of brand new ones at the moment for some reason.
Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i may keep the HP altogether and try sell on eBay, everything works apart from the GPU problem.

The toshiba is an older laptop with a 15" monitor that isn't a widescreen !
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get more for the HP if you strip it. I've researched this in depth recently, they only go for about £30-£50 (faulty complete units) on eBay.

If I were you I'd sell the HP and Toshiba as separate bits as follows:

- LCD
- Keyboard
- HDD
- DVD drive
- RAM
- Case plastics including motherboard
- Charger
- Battery (if it still holds a charge, if not take it to your local recycling place/tip)

Trust me, I've done it loads of times and even in some cases I made more selling parts than people selling complete working units!

I'm actually going to start doing this more through my eBay shop as it's a nice little earner.

Simon_16v

30th May 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, well in that case they will be getting stripped down tomorrow night .

Fingers crossed i can get some money towards a SSD

New Poll