corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Looking to upgrade my processor...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking to upgrade my processor...
Matty L

User status: Offline
26th Apr 12 at 02:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, im currenty running this system -

IZoostorm Desktop PC, Intel Pentium Dual Core Sandybridge G840 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, Intel HD with Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV socket 1155 motherboard

I would like to upgrade the process to a I5, or even better I7

I heard this motherboard will accept the I5/I7, is this correct?

And will i need to do any other upgrades, like heat sink or PSU?

Thanks

Matt
AlunJ

26th Apr 12 at 05:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should accept anything with that socket, seems they do a few i5/7's with the same socket.
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Processors-Intel/subcat/-Sandybridge-Socket-1155
If you buy retail boxed it'll come with heat sink and fan. What PSU have you got?

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by AlunJ]
Sam
Premium Member

26th Apr 12 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty L
I would like to upgrade the process to a I5, or even better I7

I heard this motherboard will accept the I5/I7, is this correct?

Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Matty L
And will i need to do any other upgrades, like heat sink or PSU?

No.
andy_mk3

26th Apr 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An i5 will be best, don't get a K series one as you can't overclock on your motherboard, either of the 2 linked above will be fine
Matty L

26th Apr 12 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
An i5 will be best, don't get a K series one as you can't overclock on your motherboard, either of the 2 linked above will be fine

Cheers man, how come an i5 over an i7? I7s are the faster of the two right?
Russ

26th Apr 12 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you upgrading for? Difference won't be that noticeable. Solid state drive will be faster
Matty L

26th Apr 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
What you upgrading for? Difference won't be that noticeable. Solid state drive will be faster

I'm using Ableton Live, and i run in to CPU problems when im running more than 40 channels, i heard u carn't use SSD for alot of read and write, so i'm assuming i couldn't install ableton on it as it could mess the drive up

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by Matty L]
Russ

26th Apr 12 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'd be fine on an ssd
Matty L

26th Apr 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It'd be fine on an ssd

So im better upgrading to a ssd then upgrading to a i7 or i5?
Sam
Premium Member

26th Apr 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An SSD drive can be more expensive than a CPU upgrade (depending on which CPU and SSD drive you are comparing of course).

Given the spec you have, I would probably go for an SSD drive for the OS and applications, and use the HDD as your secondary drive for storage.
Matty L

26th Apr 12 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
An SSD drive can be more expensive than a CPU upgrade (depending on which CPU and SSD drive you are comparing of course).

Given the spec you have, I would probably go for an SSD drive for the OS and applications, and use the HDD as your secondary drive for storage.

Ableton will be constantly accessing the storage drive thou for samples.PLus my sample drive is over 40gb so id have to put that on the HDD.Willi notice an improvement of performance in regards to running more Virtual instruments and effects? Or just how long the programs takes to open?
Russ

26th Apr 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everything will open quicker
andy_mk3

26th Apr 12 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An i7 is basically an i5 with hyperthreading, not many mainstream apps can take advantake of all the threads, unless you're doing heavy video editing etc, it's not really worth it.

SDDs are certainly worth it tho, I have one in my Desktop and Laptop, completely transformed them both! They boot up very quickly, everything opens instantly. It's nice to use a computer that is as fast as I am
Bart

27th Apr 12 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would also recommend an SSD over a new CPU, would be far more noticable.

Crucial 128GB M4 SSD have come down in price.

*edit* As Andy said, i7 and i5 are identical, so unless your rendering lots of video, stick with the i5.

[Edited on 27-04-2012 by Bart]
Dom

27th Apr 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Would only be useful if Matt's audio work is audio/sample based (including sample based plugins), otherwise it'd only aid in loading times; from there on it's ram based. But it sounds like it's CPU-intensive stuff instead, VST/AU/RTAS plugins etc, so an upgraded CPU (+RAM) would be the better solution.

Matt - Make sure you're rendering stuff out, or freezing tracks under Ableton, saves CPU loading issues plus it makes mixing/mastering a lot easier and it helps break the 'continuously tweaking' habit that most tech-heads have

Edit - If you have the ram, then use the [store in]RAM feature on samples. Save disk access.

[Edited on 27-04-2012 by Dom]
Matty L

28th Apr 12 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Would only be useful if Matt's audio work is audio/sample based (including sample based plugins), otherwise it'd only aid in loading times; from there on it's ram based. But it sounds like it's CPU-intensive stuff instead, VST/AU/RTAS plugins etc, so an upgraded CPU (+RAM) would be the better solution.

Matt - Make sure you're rendering stuff out, or freezing tracks under Ableton, saves CPU loading issues plus it makes mixing/mastering a lot easier and it helps break the 'continuously tweaking' habit that most tech-heads have

Edit - If you have the ram, then use the [store in]RAM feature on samples. Save disk access.

[Edited on 27-04-2012 by Dom]

HI Dom, yes you are correct, im using mostly VSTi's.When i get upto running past about 10 of them, my cpu starts to overload on this processor, like you said, i don't think a SSD would help with this but a faster processor would.I'm assuming that the SSD would make ableton load faster, and, if i i have my samples on the SSD they would load faster too, but this isn't a problem tbo

Yes right now i have a project open using about 50 channels, ive had to freeze several channels but its still stuttering now and again, pain in the ass, really puts a half on being creative and finishing stuff

Ive never heard of the store in RAM feature, i have 8GB ram.How do i enable this Dom?
Dom

28th Apr 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sample Ram feature (bottom of this article) - http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1834

Forgot to add to my reply that 'freezing' tracks obviously increases disk usage, although i've noticed that a frozen tracks still use more CPU usage than a typical audio track. Plus you can't freeze return channels.
Best solution i've found is to render tracks, minus volume/pan automation but with the return effects, out individually then bring them back in for mixing. Bit of a lengthy and a PITA process though.

I've also found splitting up my disk usage across multiple (physical) drives helps - so samples/libraries/presets on one drive and the Ableton project on another (this is where frozen audio is kept). If possible keep them off your OS/Program drive.

Also when you're mixing, increase your buffer latency on your I/O audio interface; it'll reduce the load a little and should help out with audio errors (stuttering etc).

Going back to your upgrade, i'd start with a new CPU, then RAM (if it's DDR3 then it's cheap, ~£30 for 8GB; so load it up if you can), then go down the SSD route - to help disk streaming i'd use it for Ableton/audio projects and libraries/samples rather than for minimal OS and Program loading times (booting up in 10secs is of no use when your audio project is hammering a slow mechanical drive).

New Poll