corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop Upgrades

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop Upgrades
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th May 09 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend has an old HP laptop which we want to upgrade. She likes mine to much and hates how slow hers is. Now i know 'ish' what Ram i want (2 x 2gig) but not clued up on any brands. We also want to upgrade the processor to something a lot quicker - here i do not have a clue whats good and whats not (i have a 2.8ghz dual core 2 in my laptop and this seems to be pretty good so something similar) and what we can upgrade to given the Laptop is about 4 or 5 years old. The current processor according to Intel website is a 1.7ghz Pentium M 740 which even i know is old.
So what i am really after is what ram brands to stick to and avoid and what CPU to go for given the age of the laptop - the laptop will be running x64 Vista - i would love any suggestions
oceansoul

25th May 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you upgrade the CPU in a laptop. i know in mine that ya cant, its part of the board
ssj_kakarot

25th May 09 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah buy a new laptop, most laptops cant actually have the cpu upgraded, those that can have a rather limited selection that you can choose from.

if the laptop is 4 - 5 years old even given the slim chance you can actually upgrade the proccesor at all wouldnt be worth it as any upgrade would be quite outdated any way.

the ram will improve things but not a lot tbh, a reformat and clean install of xp would make the most difference.

New Poll