corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Block Paving

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Block Paving
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Apr 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old concrete drive which is approx 150mm thick, which the top layer has frost damage dont really want to chop it all up thought about taking the loose off with a jackhammer and then going over with block paving.

I thought cement the block paving down on the edges then 30mm sand on top of concrete bedded down would work, what does everyone think? I don't think your meant to cement the whole lot down are you due to movement?
Russ

12th Apr 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right. Start from fresh. No concrete, just a deep hardcore base under a well compacted sand pad
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 02:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i've been told it can be done, example here http://www.pavingexpert.com/rigidbpv.htm
just wanted opinions as it will be a big job to remove the concrete when it is a good solid base, which is up to 200mm deep in places, and it seems a bit pointless if it can be done without digging it all up
Bonney

15th Apr 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They block paved over a large concrete pad on our front (Down the centre of the road) it lasted about 6 months before all the block paving became loose and started to shift.

Best bet is to dig it all up, dig down then a good depth of crush and run heavily compacted and a mix of dry sand and cement put down nice and level then brush in some silica sand when the blocks are down and in place then run over with a whacker plate to compact it all down nicely.

That was the way I was told by a block paver and they said he had never had a comeback for the blocks coming loose or shifting!
Sam
Premium Member

16th Apr 12 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the concrete is broken up (hardcore is basically broken up concrete!) then compacted/sand on top etc. etc. you can block pave it then.

Don't just put block paving on top of a sealed solid base, water needs to be able to drain through the sand and underneath.
Stu_22

18th Apr 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doing this at the moment had an old concrete drive broke it up with an electric concrete breaker(now on ebay) hired a crusher so all below 40mm now
wacked down I doing 20mm max of sand yes cement edge brick in.
If I were to start again I would cement the edge bicks in rather those long thin concret slabs like gravel boards much quicker

New Poll