corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Block Paving

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Block Paving
stubs

User status: Offline
13th Jul 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone on here had a go at laying their own block paving? If so, how hard is it?

Had a look on a website: www.pavingexpert.com and I quite fancy having a go myself.

Any tips?
a_j_mair

13th Jul 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just done my drive way

is easy to do, all in the preperation setting up levels and getting it all compacted down

alot easier if you have some helpers, i did mine myself and it is hard work, kills you back and takes ages, get a mate to carry blocks etc and will be alot easier and quicker

some pictures in my thread
stubs

13th Jul 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude!

Roughly how much area did you cover, and how much did it cost in materials and tool hire?

I've read somewhere that you need planning permission if you are replacing any lawn area - is this correct?

I'd like to get rid of my front lawn (it's only small)... so that I may park both cars off-street without using the garage.
a_j_mair

13th Jul 10 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rough prices at trade costs

sand £35 per tonne
pavors were £9 per metre squared

I did approx 60m

total cost roughly = £725

that does not include any tool hire or drainage materials etc

probably need a couple bags cement aswell for doing edgers and any drains etc

bag of cement is around £3

Yes you will require planning permission if you are altering your drive from grass to block paviors as the water that would have soaked away is now goin into the drainage system, also may require drop kerbs if making it wider off the road which will require road opening permits etc.

Or ignore all the last bit and just do it
stubs

14th Jul 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's good to hear! I think I'd need less that the amount you've done. Need to measure up.

I've been reading up on the planning rules and I think I may be able to get away with it if I use permiable (sp?) blocks... whatever they are!
stubs

14th Jul 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and I don't think I'd risk doing it without planning if it was required.. my neighbour's a right cunt and he would complain straight away... his wife has already told me I can't do it because it would make the street look like a carpark
I told her to fuck off and mind her own business

No doubt if I applied for planning permission, they'd be straight in there opposing it
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

14th Jul 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah if its semi permeable paving you dont need planning, unless u need to drop the kerb of course, pics may be useful?
Rob_Quads

14th Jul 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you use a proper compacter if you are doing it yourself.
This is the most important thing by far otherwise once the rain starts and your car is parked on it you may well find it dropping all over the place.
stubs

14th Jul 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The curb doesn't need dropping.. we're at the end of a cul-de-sac and the whole cerb is dropped in front of our houses for some reason. I will get pics and measurements soon.

Yeah Rob, I will hire the proper tools when it comes to it. Just found out a mate of mine is out of work but he used to be a roadworker. Might have to rope him in for some beer tokens

New Poll