corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Plastering

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plastering
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As well as getting the carpet changed and the shit wallpaper stripped and painted, we want to get rid of the horrible artex and get the ceiling plastered over (potentially with spotlights installed at the same time).

The living room is about 20 sq. mtr., got a guy coming over tomorrow to quote but he reckons if the ceiling's been painted with silk then it'll be quite expensive due to him needing to use some kind of PVA stuff that costs £40 a tub?

Someone else I phoned gave me a rough estimate of £550 + VAT

Are there any plasterers on here, if so what would you quote to do my living room ceiling? Or if you're in the West Mids, fancy giving me a quote?
John

19th Jan 12 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you stripped any of the wallpaper yet?

You might end up needing the whole room plastered.
Sam
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we stripped the wallpaper off one wall, generally the walls are OK except where some dickhead has gone along each wall with a scraper to mark where the border on the wallpaper is going so I've been filling those areas, sanding down and then painting.

(I stripped wallpaper in the landing/stairs areas too hence what I mean by "walls")

I think the walls were replastered a few years ago looking at the condition of them.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Sam]
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the PVA stuff - ThistleBond?

A lot of the artex in my place (bearing in mind I had it on the walls, ceilings and doors!!!) peeled off in huge chunks which were paintable in all honesty.

Alternatively, Unibond and others now do a smooth over paint which is specific to artex - might be worth a look
Sam
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know what it's called, all he mentioned in the phone call was that it was about £40/tub.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like it, we had to use it on my plasterer fuck up which funnily enough is in the related threads to this one
mattk

19th Jan 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fellow that is charging VAT sounds like a big outfit. I wouldnt use him. use someone who isnt big enough to be VAT registered and you have saved 20% already.

Normaly with an artex ceiling you can get away with scraping the artex off so its flat and skimming it. try scraping the artex first, get a wall scraper and just go at it to see if you can get most of it off. that will save the lad a few hours of labour. the ceiling will probably need to be Pva`d but its not that expensive.
I
m not a plasterer btw. I labour for my mate if I have a few slack days a week and he does the same for me.

plasterer will be charging between £100 and £130 a day.
thomson

19th Jan 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its 20 sq meter thats not huge. if it artex the plaster will be a bit thicker to cover it.

glue pva or sbr which i prefer to use as it stays sticker.

depends also if he skims the ceiling on stilts like i do or sets up scaffold which takes more time etc.

i would do it if you wernt miles away.
Sam
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
the fellow that is charging VAT sounds like a big outfit. I wouldnt use him. use someone who isnt big enough to be VAT registered and you have saved 20% already.

Normaly with an artex ceiling you can get away with scraping the artex off so its flat and skimming it. try scraping the artex first, get a wall scraper and just go at it to see if you can get most of it off. that will save the lad a few hours of labour. the ceiling will probably need to be Pva`d but its not that expensive.
I
m not a plasterer btw. I labour for my mate if I have a few slack days a week and he does the same for me.

plasterer will be charging between £100 and £130 a day.

I assume I won't be exposing myself to large amounts of asbestos fibres by scraping this?
Sam
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thomson
if its 20 sq meter thats not huge. if it artex the plaster will be a bit thicker to cover it.

glue pva or sbr which i prefer to use as it stays sticker.

depends also if he skims the ceiling on stilts like i do or sets up scaffold which takes more time etc.

i would do it if you wernt miles away.

Yeah it's not even nice artex it just looks really shit. The living room seems to be on the only room where the artex is on heavy (and glossy), the other rooms which also have artex on the ceilings have a matt finish and are quite shallow no high spots like there are in the living room.
ash_corsa

19th Jan 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate tried skimming over the artex in my dining room and as soon as it got wet it just fell off in big chunks, we just over boarded the lot and skimmed it all. only cost me £200 inc materials and that was for all the walls aswell.

Thats mates rates though!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wickes bonding agent, £14 a tub, water down slightly and paint your ceiling with it! Use a scraper to take any large snots of the artex.

Then plaster £150per day plus materials so £175 if you do prep!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ojc

20th Jan 12 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

440 to skim a ceiling?
AK

20th Jan 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take the fucking ceiling down and then reboard it!

Why board over it!
Sam
Premium Member

20th Jan 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK the guy I phoned yesterday has been round to quote. He said he can have new boards put over the existing ceiling and have it lowered so that we can have spotlights fitted afterwards for £460.

I did ask him about what AK suggested, he said it would cost more as he'd have to hire a skip (£100), and it would have to be reinsulated etc. etc. so I think we'll go for the £460 option as we have really high ceilings anyway TBH, dropping it 4 inches won't make much difference.
Dave

20th Jan 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
just take the fucking ceiling down and then reboard it!

Why board over it!

Quicker, cleaner and cheaper to over board.
Neil

20th Jan 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
440 to skim a ceiling?

Says £550 + VAT
Haimsey
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once read a project thread where the plasterer who did the ceiling did so on stilts.

Amazing

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've seen a few YouTube videos of this
John

21st Jan 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's standard practice
Dave

21st Jan 12 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only domestic, almost certain they aren't allowed on sites anymore. A lot of ceiling fixers used to use them but I haven't seen them used for years now. TBH most plasterers would use either the folding ally hop-ups or milk/beer crates and planks to skim a house ceiling.
thomson

21st Jan 12 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stills are much better. time and set up. easyer to carry if ure doin a ceiling upstairs. plus they are height adjustable for differant height ceilings. been using them for nearly 7 years now. mind though if its a small ceiling a just use a milk crate.
Jake

21st Jan 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dropped 4 inches? why can you screw new 9mm boards straight through the originals and into the joists?
Dave

21st Jan 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thomson, do you mainly do domestic work? I tried to hire some stilts to do some suspended ceilings but the site manager wouldn't let me saying they weren't allowed on sites. Is this true or was he full of shit?
thomson

21st Jan 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aint sure about that to be honest dave. i dont work on big sites with managers, just a little firm with few new builds ata time and all the little jobs in between.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll