corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Battery Drain Test. How to?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Battery Drain Test. How to?
Ste M

User status: Offline
29th Dec 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys.

I've got a parasitic battery drain on the car, I've watched several different videos and they all show different ways to check.

Now what I'm thinking is, you need a multi-meter (obviously), connect th8e red wire to the 10A jack, set the meter to 10A, then disconnect the negative wire on the car battery, then place one probe on the battery negative terminal, whilst the other touches the wire (whilst disconnected) and it should read around 0.2 amps.

Is this correct?
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Dec 11 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In series with the draw so yeah, disconnect the pos terminal and put your meter between that and the terminal on the battery.

Don't try and start it or run the heaters or anything else which will draw a lot of current.

Lights etc. are fine.

If you have a trace, pull each fuse in turn and watch for the trace to change. More difficult if there is more than one thing drawing current but it'll give you an idea.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Ian]
Ste M

29th Dec 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you mean the positive and not the negative? Or do you mean disconnect the positive so it doesn't blow my meter?
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Dec 11 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disconnect the pos from the battery and put the meter between the pos terminal on the battery and the wire you just just took off.

So the meter completes the break.

You'll only blow the meter if you draw large currents.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Ian]
Ste M

29th Dec 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll have to bear with me, I'm a complete electronics newb!

I understand the disconnecting the positive wire (lol) - so then I place what colour wires were? The black (COM) probe to the positive terminal and red probe to the positive wire?

And is this with the negative wire connected or disconnected from the battery?

Is what you're saying the way I said how I thought I should do it with the negative, but do it with the positive?

Christ, I feel so thick.. lol
johnhara1

29th Dec 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, put it between the positive terminal on the battery and the wire from the positive on the battery.

So, you have a meter on the positive.

Then, when your mate starts pulling fuses in the fuse panel, you can watch for fluctuation on the meter and find your drain.
Ste M

29th Dec 11 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic, thank you

So is doing this process with the negative wrong?

Edit: One last thing; should the negative be disconnected? I'm reading that disconnecting the positive first can be risky..

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Ste M]
johnhara1

29th Dec 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, don't disconnect the negative as you're breaking the circuit and you'll not find the drain.

Battery has to be connected for it to be drained
Jon_C
Premium Member

1st Jan 12 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent ages yesterday doing this with my best mate on my car. Was a nightmare. We set up the meter and just sat pulling fuses out one at a time looking for a drop in the drain on the battery. Mine turned out to be my headunit wiring.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Jan 12 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put the meter across the negative, doesn't make much odds, just might mean you don't get as good an earth to the chassis.

Aftermarket HU would be the first place I looked
Jon_C
Premium Member

1st Jan 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was the wiring loom to the headunit in the car loom. Was massively bodged. wasnt til i pulled it all out that we realised

New Poll