corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Mortgage overpayments

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mortgage overpayments
Colin

User status: Offline
9th Nov 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone regularly do this?

I just punched some details into an online calculator and it says if I paid £500 each month in overpayments it would save me £101,680 in interest alone and mean I pay it off in full 21 years and 4 months earlier.

Thats got to be more worthwhile than any savings account / Isa / Shares!?

[Edited on 09-11-2011 by Colin]
John

9th Nov 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is, check how much you can overpay though, normally some limit.
Baskey

9th Nov 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's better than savings because mortgage interest is generally alot higher than what you would earn on your savings. The big downside is that your money is tied up in your house and not accessible like it would be sat in an instant access account should you need it.

It's a great option if you can afford it IMO, and I should really be looking to pull my finger out and up mine.
Colin

Yep im not sure what the limit is with current lender.

My deals up next year some time so just looking ahead. Might try getting a 10yr term instead of the current one which was 35yr
Ben G

thats a huge saving. i think mine says i can overpay up to 10% extra per month iirc which is only £94.50
John

9th Nov 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about one of the accounts that you offset the mortgage with your savings Colin?
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pay £671 a month just now, with 33yrs left to pay, if I pay £1196 a month its paid in 10yrs time!! Thats crazy....what a con mortgages are!!
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What about one of the accounts that you offset the mortgage with your savings Colin?

The one account!? Quite a few folk at work got them!! Think id be best having it more committed though else i'd just spend!
Ben G

9th Nov 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad has a one account, best thing he ever done, he told me.
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 29 now I reckon the target is to be mortgage free by 40
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another interesting calculation/fact, if interest rates climbed the the same highs they were in the 90's my monthly fee would be 1,582.87
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
thats a huge saving. i think mine says i can overpay up to 10% extra per month iirc which is only £94.50

You would probably shave a good few years off even just overpaying by that amount!!
Ben G

9th Nov 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably, should really overpay but always think ''i'll do it 1 month then forget, and it won't make a blind bit of difference in the grand scheme of things''
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
probably, should really overpay but always think ''i'll do it 1 month then forget, and it won't make a blind bit of difference in the grand scheme of things''

Take a look - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator

If it seems worthwhile then just set up & forget about it!!
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Nov 11 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a con is it, it's just maths.

If you have a big debt for a long period of time it costs a lot.

If you reduce the exposure, you pay less.

You're nearly doubling the payment in your figures there, but you are also not therefore accruing compound interest so you more than doubling the benefits. That's where it becomes a good idea.

Worth doing if you can commit the £500pm.

Although if you want a flash car and end up having to take that in finance at a heavy interest rate, the benefits don't look as clear cut because you're paying interest there which you would otherwise have saved.

Just take your entire financial picture and see where the money is better. I don't overpay because I'd rather not take out car loans or have credit cards at a worse rate.

[Edited on 09-11-2011 by Ian]
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the paperwork for my current mortgage it says I can make a overpayment each January of no more than 10% of the amount owed. So i'll be doing that, then when the deals up in Sept next year i'll get a 1 account I think with the aim of a 10yr exit.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Nov 11 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's currently 30 and you want to go to 10 I would be thinking about 15 with the option to go over.

10 means you always every single month absolutely need to pay well over a grand. I personally wouldn't enjoy that lack of freedom.

Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Not a con is it, it's just maths.

If you have a big debt for a long period of time it costs a lot.

If you reduce the exposure, you pay less.

You're nearly doubling the payment in your figures there, but you are also not therefore accruing compound interest so you more than doubling the benefits. That's where it becomes a good idea.

Worth doing if you can commit the £500pm.

Although if you want a flash car and end up having to take that in finance at a heavy interest rate, the benefits don't look as clear cut because you're paying interest there which you would otherwise have saved.

Just take your entire financial picture and see where the money is better. I don't overpay because I'd rather not take out car loans or have credit cards at a worse rate.

I can get cars through my work at 5% APR for pretty much anything. My eyes have been well and truly opened by this.

I read about a guy that paid his mortgage early by 'scoozing' 0% interest CC's lol shame the bubbles kind of burst there!!!
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If it's currently 30 and you want to go to 10 I would be thinking about 15 with the option to go over.

10 means you always every single month absolutely need to pay well over a grand. I personally wouldn't enjoy that lack of freedom.

Yep plenty to think of but I think I need to do something here, just hit the floor with a thud seeing how much im actually paying back!!
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Nov 11 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not burst, you just pay transfer fees and it's not as easy to get the money in to a bank account.

Can still be done if you've a 0% card for purchase and you just blitz that instead of your bank account. That's mathematically similar to a SBT if you can do it quick enough.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Nov 11 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you not do a quick 600 x 12 x 30 in your head when you agreed to it
Ben G

9th Nov 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

Take a look - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator

just paying 100 a month from now can finish my mortgage 10 years early, so 25 instead of 35

Ian
Site Administrator

9th Nov 11 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know what I find funny, most people when offered the mortgage for 25 at that price say no I want lower payments.

Everyone had the option to get a 15/20/25yr deal and I bet the majority of people turned it down as inflexible and expensive.
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purse strings were tighter when I entered into this!! I think it was a case of lucky to get a 'deal' over the technicalities of what it amounts to. Now its time to take some action!!
Colin

9th Nov 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

just paying 100 a month from now can finish my mortgage 10 years early, so 25 instead of 35

Do it....will you miss £97 a month???

I dont want to still be paying off a house when i'm in my 60's!!!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll