corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Lodgers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lodgers?
Pop

User status: Offline
17th May 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey everyone,

Just looking for a bit of feedback from anyone who has, or is a lodger.

Subject to contracts being exchanged my girlfriend and I will be soon on the housing ladder. We will have a 3 bedroom house and only the need for 1 bedroom at the moment.

We will be able to cover the mortgage and all bills on our wages but we are toying with the idea of a lodger. We would be looking to utilise the extra income for home improvements and overpayments on the mortgage.

Can anyone shed light on their own experiences? How does it impact you in terms of tax as well?

All input is much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim
jamied

17th May 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my girlfriend considered this for a short while and decided in the end i wouldnt like somebody else living with us permanently. Would be awkward having somebody live with you we thought. but for some people can work well suppose depends on who you get lol
lisac

18th May 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to be a lodger, and found it great. But you do need to think on how it'll impact on your own lives, for daft things like bathroom times - in morning could be a nightmare if you head to work at the same time. Also having your own visitors could make things a little awkward.

You need to work out if you are just going rent the room only, or let them have freedom of house ie living rooms etc. May work better if you only use 1 of the bedrooms rent both the 2 spare ones to the one person, and set up the other one as there living room so to speak so your not encroaching on each others lives.

My experiences has ben great as a lodger, but i got on fantastically with the lanlord and we are still close friends now, but doesnt always end up that way. Its a huge step to invute someone into your home.
C2RL R

18th May 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate did it for a while as he lived alone and was struggling at the time. it was ok at first because the guy was single. after a couple of months though he got a girlfriend and she was constantly there. my mate started to feel like he was in the way even when it was his own home. he is a bit of a girl when it comes to confrontation so he never said anything. in the end one of our other mates ended up telling the lodger that he was taking the piss a bit. then it all errupted and the guy moved out.
Pop

18th May 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to get views from both sides of the coin.
jrsteeve

18th May 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rented my spare room to a mate for about a year. Certainly helped towards the mortgage but was pretty annoying when his bird was round loads hogging the tv etc. Just depends how much you'll like sharing most of your things and space with another person.
koolkorsa

18th May 09 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of tax - you're entitled to a 'Rent a room' allowance of about £4000 a year tax free. I'd imagine you wouldn't be getting more than that in rent. If you were, you would be liable to pay normal income tax (20% or 40%) on the excess over £4k ish.
Colin

18th May 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feck that.................you wouldnt be able to hover naked!!
J da Silva

18th May 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a lodger, she pays absolutely nothing.......... my sister (Faye_2003 on here).

She is saving for her own flat or small house as her bf dumped her because she is a bit of a bumface.
I have a fairly large home though and some days I don't even see her, but we get on, she babysits for me when I need her aswell which is cool, plus my kids love having her around, I probably won't want her to move out. Please stay Faye.
MarkM

19th May 09 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could never share with someone...

EVER.
C2RL R

19th May 09 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
I have a lodger, she pays absolutely nothing.......... my sister (Faye_2003 on here).

She is saving for her own flat or small house as her bf dumped her because she is a bit of a bumface.

New Poll