corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Nat west 'one' accounts....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nat west 'one' accounts....
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Oct 07 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of interest.....does anybody have one?

Any fall backs?

Just did a 'shrinker' thing on their website and it was quite a shocker

Edit:

Try it...

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/mortgage_shrinker/index.asp?referrer=furlshrinker

[Edited on 18-10-2007 by Jules S]
RichR
Premium Member

19th Oct 07 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a set up charge; if it works I can shrink my mortgage term by 18 years! and save £87k!

there must eb drawbacks, although I'm tied into my current mortgage for another 2.5years; I would consider it at the changeover date
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

19th Oct 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they are called offset mortgages, good if you are self employed and you are saving up for your tax bill at the end of the year, or you usually have a fair bit of money in your account (thousands)
for every pound you have saved in the current acount, you will not pay interest for that pound on your mortgage. imo it is better than putting it in a savings account as it is more tax efficient
RichR
Premium Member

19th Oct 07 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this isn't a true offset mortgage though; its not the interest deduction, you essentially pay any of the wages left in your account at the end of each month off the balance of your mortgage.
Cosmo

19th Oct 07 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
this isn't a true offset mortgage though; its not the interest deduction, you essentially pay any of the wages left in your account at the end of each month off the balance of your mortgage.

edit: actually after re-reading (read it last night originally), yes it does

[Edited on 19-10-2007 by Cosmo]
Robbo

19th Oct 07 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An offset mortgage is where your savings are deducted against your mortgage when interest is calculated... therefore you receive no savings interest but your mortgage interest is less... this has the benefits of saving interest on your mortgage which 99.9% of the time will be at a higher rate than you receive on your savings. In addition you do not pay tax on your interest received... can save you thousands and thousands but onyl works of you have significant savings (ie >£5k ish)

A shrinker is generally where you are encouraged to make additional payments against your mortgage which will reduce the amount you owe and thereofre reduce the amoutn of interest you pay...

A shrinker will lose you physical money, an offset will not

[Edited on 19-10-2007 by Robbo]
BigSte

19th Oct 07 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was helpful that Robbo

My is due for renewal in just over a year and am looking to get an offset
Robbo

19th Oct 07 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Np dude
Robbo

19th Oct 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason why shrinkers are misunderstood is that all they are are a basic mortgage which allows overpayments, and does, indeed, encourage it... I would hazard though that the base int rate on a shrinker will be higher than a normal mortgage but the benefits are there if you can afford it
Colin

19th Oct 07 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just put in what im going to be earning soon & it said I can pay off my mortgage in 3 months & save half of what I would be paying back!!

Done it again, based on my current income I could pay it off in 2yrs 2 months.......sounds good!!

[Edited on 19-10-2007 by Colin]

New Poll