corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How do you split bills between two people?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do you split bills between two people?
Doug

User status: Offline
24th Oct 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am moving in with my partner shortly and we are trying to work out the best way to split the bills.

Would people recommend a joint bank account or just have different bills in each of our names and work out who owes what?
John

24th Oct 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partner as in gay lover or as in moving in with your bird?

If the latter all we do is put half each in a joint account every month, then top it up as we always spend more

Your way if it's a mate, can't imagine writing down everything I personally used
Doug

24th Oct 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partner as in 'my bird'

Regarding the joint bank account, would that be a current account with two names on the account? What are landlords like with paying from a joint account? Or would they prefer each person have their own account for the rent (credit checks etc)?

Only ever shared uni houses which meant there were enough of us to take one bill each
strick206

24th Oct 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a joint current account with both your names on.

Work out what your monthly bills are, and put half in each plus say £100 each, and cut up the card for the joint account.

That way just monitoring it through online banking, the extra money going in will count as joint savings also.

Ben G

24th Oct 11 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a joint account and split the bills between us by way of a certain ratio of your wages each month. seems to work.
Nismo

24th Oct 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus have our own personal accounts and we have a joint account that all bills and shopping comes out of, (things like car insurance and phone bills come out our own accounts)

We dont go 50/50 as our salary's are different its more like a percentage of what we earn to cover all the outgoings.
smcGSI16V

24th Oct 11 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
Just get a joint current account with both your names on.

Work out what your monthly bills are, and put half in each plus say £100 each, and cut up the card for the joint account.

That way just monitoring it through online banking, the extra money going in will count as joint savings also.

This.

We cover morgage, house insurances, sky, bt phone and anything else house related in the joint.
We pay 50/50 each + an extra £100-250 as savings/to buy big things. As we both use it both the same so we should both pay the same dont matter about wage differences.

Our own mobiles, petrol etc come out of my own account.

I buy all the food shopping and she offsets that by doing all the cleaning as she earns less than me.

What is then left in your own account is yours to spent as you will.

This is what me and the mrs have done for the last 8 years and it works a treat.
Doug

24th Oct 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luckily we will be pretty equal, although I wouldn't mind if she did the cleaning

I thought that a joint current account would be the way to go. Each bang in £xx or so in and it should all work out.

When you are setting up BT for example, would they just take both names for the account and happily take payment from a joint account?

[Edited on 24-10-2011 by Doug]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a joint account for all house bills and food! Pay day we both put in £xxx and that covers all bills!

We split everything 50/50

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Doug

24th Oct 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you are setting up BT for example, would they just take both names for the account and happily take payment from a joint account?
smcGSI16V

24th Oct 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours is set up in the mrs name and comes out of the join account. infact the sky and tv license both are as well.
John

24th Oct 11 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My name is on everything like that but comes from the joint account.

You can use either account holders name for the account as well, it doesn't have to be Mr X and Mrs Y.

Best person to be named is the one who will be phoning up when something goes wrong.

[Edited on 24-10-2011 by John]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All bills in my name as I set them up but just come from a joint account! I like to know what's coming in and going out so I keep an eye on account more that she does!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Dan
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We used to just split the bills 50/50 but since the missus has been working part time due to us having a little one, she just pays all her money to me and I cover the bills.

She then buys what ever and I pay it all.

I don't get all this moving in with the missus but being so picky about who pays what. If I ran out of money, she would give me some and vise versa. I wouldn't then owe her it back. That's how a fair few of my mates work. If your together you deal with it all together.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
MarkM

24th Oct 11 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i have a joint account and split the bills between us by way of a certain ratio of your wages each month. seems to work.
Siberia

24th Oct 11 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the bills come out of my account and then shes pays here half when she gets payed.
dannymccann

25th Oct 11 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We earn roughly the same and stick £650 a month each in the joint account where all the bills come out of

Covers everything that is shared, including diesel and car insurance etc
Hammer

25th Oct 11 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
I buy all the food shopping and she offsets that by doing all the cleaning as she earns less than me.

I find this sort of set up weird. It's more of a business partnership than a relationship.
Gary
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joint account here. 300 each (living up north ftw )

She earns less than me but we still pay the same, not my fault she earns less
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was with the ex, we had a joint account, We both paid the same amount in each month and all bills incl. mortgage were DD out of there. We used it to save for renovation works as well but you could use any over save to pay for meals out/a holiday etc etc.

I'm really strict with my house account, once money goes in there, I don't see it as mine anymore, I see it as the house's so I don't spend it on anything for me
Tom

25th Oct 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a bank account with no card, we both pay in to that and the house bills come out of that. We pay our own mobiles etc.

I worked backwards so we'd both have the same money left once everything was paid, but it doesn't really make any odds, I keep her bank card most of the time anyway
Demo

25th Oct 11 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have a joint account that has equal amount from each of us put in when we get paid. this then pays all the bills and food etc for a month
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ex and I put 50:50 in to cover bills (we earnt almost exactly the same, otherwise I'd go with Ben G's method of salary ratio) and then paid all joint bills and food shopping out of it. Each had a debit card form it and we also had a joint savings. otherwise we kept our own accounts and paid like our mobiles and car petrol etc from it. if on the ratio thing and you earn more then obv you would still treat your partner on occasion buit dont tink its fair to pay 50:50 if you dont earn broadly the same imo
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
We used to just split the bills 50/50 but since the missus has been working part time due to us having a little one, she just pays all her money to me and I cover the bills.

She then buys what ever and I pay it all.
i like that method for someone who is workign part time etc. for luxury stuff, youd have to agree on a relative split tho so neither oen takes the piss and buys somehting OTT etc.
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree with the Ratio thing; two people in the house, if you weren't a couple you would be dividing equally with a flatmate regardless of how much they earn so why not keep it equal with the other half? Saves ptoential future arguments about who has paid x towards this, that and the other - straight and even split right from the beginning in my book

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll