corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No more charges for track closure at the 'Ring

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author No more charges for track closure at the 'Ring
CorsAsh

User status: Offline
28th Oct 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was telling some guys on FD:UK about this, and one of them replied regarding the insurance issue too, felt it was pertinent:

quote:
"In August 2010 the Financial Ombudsman Service made a final decision regarding a case concerning the Nurburgring Nordschleife. The Ombudsman ruled that the Nordschleife is a one way toll circuit with all the characteristics of a 'prepared course'. The insured's policy excluded use on a 'prepared course'. This sort of exclusion was held to be neither unfair or unreasonable given the increased risks associated with driving in such places. The existence of road traffic laws and speed limits was said to be irrelevant as it is still a 'prepared course'. The insurer agreed to meet any third party liabilities but this did not mean that the driver was driving within the terms and conditions of his policy. The ombudsman said that UK and European law requires insurers to provide a minimum of 3rd party only cover even if their policyholders are using the insured vehicle in a manner which invalidates their own-damage cover. There is no restriction on the right to exclude certain matters affecting the policyholder's own property and person. Such matters are governed by the contract of insurance entered into by both parties. Hence, the insurer can indemnify the third party (to comply with the law) without having to indemnify the driver for his own losses if they arise from an excluded event or situation.

Your insurance policy will probably contain a clause to the effect that if the insurer is obligated to meet a claim it otherwise would not pay then the insurer is entitled to reclaim the settlement from the policyholder. In May 2010 the insurer's right to recovery was considered by the Court of Appeal. The case has been referred to the European Court of justice."

In short - your insurance will pay out third party, not because they want to, but because they are legally obliged to. Then they claim it back from you and you potentially lose your house etc, or best case you incur huge costs fighting a massive court case with the financial ombudsman not on your side.
Graham88

29th Oct 10 at 04:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance is a crock of shit, basically.
Fonz
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 08:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
I dont need to go on a race-track to learn my cars limits.Why would i??I wouldnt be able to take it to those limits on the public roads.

i respectfully disagree!

i am a keen and active auto solo* competitor and if nothing else, racing in these events has taught me a lot about car control, handling on the limits and importantly how to correct the cars line.

the skills learnt there helped me so much in the past two months worth of winter snow and without learning the skills on the edge, if ever reached - for whatever reason, spirited driving or road conditions, i've known how to correct teh situation.

Learning what the car is capable of is a very valuable skill. and it doesnt matter if that is handling capability or braking, or any other attribute

*run a quick google search or look on youtube, 60s blasts speeds less than 30mph but very intense, on the edge driving

But in the 8/9 years ive been driving,ive never once needed to go to the ring to learn how to control a car,and funnily enough,ive never crashed a car nor have i been in the situation where having some previous driving history at the ring would have saved my bacon.I also know people who have never been,but are shit hot drivers with awesome car control on the limit.

If i did ever feel i needed some tuition as such,then Knockhill is just 30mins away from my house.I could pay less than 100quid and get a cpl of sessions with a fully trained instructor which would probably be alot better and more informative than going to Germany to drive fast on a long road.

You have just proved that people who have been to the ring,think they are the next best thing to a race car driver.

1) at no point have i mentioned the 'Ring or in fact any other race track
2) As such did not conclude that it is where i have learnt my car control skills
3) I agree that you will benefit more from instructed tuition in the UK than independant and expensive journey to Nurburg
4) Any one who has met me at Castle Combe will know that i am anything but "the next best thing to a race car driver" consistently slowest in the pack.
- my best mate who i went to the 'Ring with has been driving 7 years and always had exceptional car control and only 3months ago was in Germany where the two of us took very pedestrian speeds round the track

5) the point of my post was to prove that my driving experience "on track" (a loose term for auto solos) has helped me in situations in the two months of snow we had at the start of 2010

6) FYI entry to an auto solo is less than £50 including club membership and will teach a lot more about driving on the limit at realistic road speeds than driving on the limit at 70+ mph at a track with an instructor.
Understeer, oversteer, controlling the car under heavy braking, all while keeping the car going in the intended direction is all part of the skills learnt and mastered in auto solos and all at speeds less than 30mph....hardly "track" speeds!!

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Fonz didnt even mention the ring once, and was replying to your comment that you shouldnt need to go to a race track to learn your cars limits. So what he basically said is that he thinks he is a better driver because he has been on a race circuit, not specifically the ring - which is probably true to be honest.

Thank you Butler, you are right i didnt mention the 'Ring i was arguing the case for learning the cars limits in safe conditions (Auto solos).
I would also agree that i am a more competant driver following my time "on track" (auto solos not race track)
my track time, whether in the UK or Germany is just an excuse to legally and somewhat more safely travel at otherwise illegal speeds with like minded drivers and in the case of the Nurburgring, to tick a box and say i have done it
and as my pic shows left, i have been to the 'Ring
Novaneil

29th Oct 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
graham, warren, gavin thats all that have been off on here

The first year I went (2004) I had a little trip into the Armco... Luckily the car was still driveable and although the staff inpounded my car for an hour they couldn't see where I had hit the barrier so they let me off luckily! Although I did get a day ban.

Since then i've been to the ring 6 times and been in 2 further crashes (not me driving). After my off it made me realise how much you have to respect the place!

The results are my little off

Graham88

29th Oct 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You tried to get away without telling them then? I presume they must have driven around trying to find a damaged bit of armco, whereabouts did it happen?

I love the ring sticker on the damage, I did that too

Novaneil

29th Oct 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they saw the car had been off into a barrier so stopped me leaving the car park. When they asked where the accident happened I just claimed innorance and said I didn't know. They then sent a car out to look for the spot but thats like looking for a needle in a haystack. lol

Its was Eschbach where I came off
Steve
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was it the blonde short guy he was so on the ball
taylorboosh

29th Oct 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres like 4 people in this thread that have crashed there. the site has organised numerous trips and only gavins crash was bad from what i can gather. not my cup of tea but i envy having the skill/balls to do it. im shit at going fast
Steve
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grahams was as bad imo, and happened at a faster speed.

also theres not really such a thing as a non bad crash at the ring especially when it comes to money
Graham88

29th Oct 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove away so I don't count mine as bad, Gavs was much much worse

Unless we're talking money
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gav drove away eventually In a fashion
Ojc

29th Oct 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, was like scrapheap challenge driving down the E42 in Belgium.

It was crabbing down the road
Graham88

29th Oct 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pmsl Oh what a sight that must have been. Did he do 6 more laps after crashing though?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No more charges for track closure at the 'Ring 23 database queries in 0.0135701 seconds