corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How do you split bills between two people?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do you split bills between two people?
Robbo

User status: Offline
25th Oct 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not always feasible though :/ i earn a lot more than my last girlf but if we came to move in togetehr i woulodnt want to be constrained by how much she could afford so id be happy to cover the diff.
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just a twat tbh
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i understand where youre coming from and i know a lot of people who do that, but from my perspective its likely that id always earn more than a partner and a si say, id just rather not be constrained by their wages
Twiggy

25th Oct 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both our incomes go into a joint account and the bills get paid from that. What ever is left we just spend

I dont get this separate accounts and put so much into another account??
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the old school way of doing things. id be more tmepted to do that if i were married and 100% settled but that makes things very difficult if you were to ever split up
Ben G

25th Oct 11 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I don't agree with the Ratio thing; two people in the house, if you weren't a couple you would be dividing equally with a flatmate regardless of how much they earn so why not keep it equal with the other half? Saves ptoential future arguments about who has paid x towards this, that and the other - straight and even split right from the beginning in my book

i earn more than double with my missus' earns. if we both put 50/50 in, it wouldn't be fair on her, would it?
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have kids though Twiggy, different ball game in those circumstances.

I think in the circumstance of two people living together, whether they be a couple or just housemates, everything should be split equally and a joint account into which both parties pay exactly the same amount means that everything is split equally. Any extra wages in your personal accounts is then yours to spend as and how you wish.

In my example, if we both paid 100% of our almost equal wages (the ex and I) into our joint account, She'd be worse off as my monthly fuel bills and running costs were significantly higher than her's.
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I don't agree with the Ratio thing; two people in the house, if you weren't a couple you would be dividing equally with a flatmate regardless of how much they earn so why not keep it equal with the other half? Saves ptoential future arguments about who has paid x towards this, that and the other - straight and even split right from the beginning in my book

i earn more than double with my missus' earns. if we both put 50/50 in, it wouldn't be fair on her, would it?

You both use (or are liable) for the same amount of gas/electric/water/council tax/mortgage/TV License etc etc etc - If you were sharing with a mate, you would split it equally to avoid arguments. If she wants to live with you then, she has to pay her share and her share is 50% IMO. Note I don't think this applies where kids are involved
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but brett will come back to my point though, that woudl mean he was constrained to living a life that she could afford and not what he could
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see where you're coming from but my view would mean you have more disposable income in your pocket to spend as you see fit, on yourself, on her, on whatever - it may just mean a sacrifice on area, size of house etc
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and what has Brett got to do with anything?
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought i saw Bretts avatar Angry Ben G then
RichR
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm bitter though, plan for the worst, hope for the best type of thing. If everything is split equally there can be no arguments if you ever split up especially now that divorce claims can be made against future earnings potential because of the life to which the (lesser paid)partner has become accustomed to by the financial contribution of the higher earning partner.

I'm quite cynical, Mum once told me of a case she was dealign with where the coupel argued for 8 hours over a Le Creuset frying pan worth about £150 for arguments sake, Mum was charging her time out at £300 an hour at that time so £2400 worth of time over a £150 frying pan
Brett
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham88

26th Oct 11 at 03:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree about treating a missus as the same as a flat mate. You are living together because you love each other, so it has to be fair. Not fair if she's struggling to live and you've still got a grand to spend after the bills are paid. I'd happily pay a larger portion when it comes to moving in with my bird, you can't say you wouldn't care seeing your missus struggle when you have loads of money left over? If so you shouldn't be in that relationship
Ben G

26th Oct 11 at 03:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nail. Head.

If my missus only had 100 quid to live on for a month and i had 1k that wouldnt be fair at all.

If it was a flatmate i wouldnt give a fuck, but its someone you love.
RichR
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I disagree about treating a missus as the same as a flat mate. You are living together because you love each other, so it has to be fair. Not fair if she's struggling to live and you've still got a grand to spend after the bills are paid. I'd happily pay a larger portion when it comes to moving in with my bird, you can't say you wouldn't care seeing your missus struggle when you have loads of money left over? If so you shouldn't be in that relationship

I can't comment on your example/Ben G's as I've never been in a position where there was a big variance in earnings. I don't know is the short answer, both my ex and current missus earn roughly the same as me. In fact they both earn slightly more than I'm on after bonuses and property income so if anyone should be struggling its me, however, I wouldn't want to not split things straight down the middle and keep it even. As the lesser paid partner, I would want to feel like I'm contributing equally
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant say i agree Graham.

It's not my fault my mrs earns less than me. We both get the same out of the house so we both put the same into it.

Id never see her stuck for cash though, if she needed some then i'd give it her, which is rare as shes good with her money.

She agrees with me on how we do it too, she'd never expect me to pay more.
MarkM

26th Oct 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some harsh people in here. I'm with Ben and Graham on this one. We live in a big nice house. I earn 3 x my girlfriends salary. I therefore pay a bigger contribution towards the house as we are a couple and to expect her to pay half would mean she would not have much disposable income left over.
Fonz
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for me and the "bird" its easy.

it is my flat but our home. so i pay for everything to keep us there (mortgage, utilities bills, council text, phone and broadband) and she pays for the food.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We only pay in £500 each every month and that covers everything!

Mortgage, life insurance, home insurance, council tax, water, electric, gas, phone, Internet, sky, TV licence and food!

If haven't got enough left over after £500 comes out wages need to find another job!

I do get paid more and did offer to pay mortgage if she covered bills which was almost 60/40 but she preferred to do it 50/50!

I'm not going to complain.

[Edited on 26-10-2011 by Daniel_Corsa]

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Tom

26th Oct 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
Some harsh people in here. I'm with Ben and Graham on this one. We live in a big nice house. I earn 3 x my girlfriends salary. I therefore pay a bigger contribution towards the house as we are a couple and to expect her to pay half would mean she would not have much disposable income left over.

100% agree.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
. I earn 3 x my girlfriends salary.

Tell her to get a better job then.
Jake

26th Oct 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if youre married its different but fuck getting mugged off by a girl you "love" just because youve had to to graft more to earn more money.
Jake

26th Oct 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
for me and the "bird" its easy.

it is my flat but our home. so i pay for everything to keep us there (mortgage, utilities bills, council text, phone and broadband) and she pays for the food.

"mug"

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll