corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(

New Poll
  <<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Apr 14 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But this is the internet.

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is true.

I'll paint the Pad plates Black and tell people they are special soon.
Corsa_Sport21

17th Apr 14 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive not driven it, but i do have experience of various EBC pads in single piston calipers to the most recent in 4 pots calipers with 321mm discs, which were shockingly bad due to the EBC pads. The standard 308s i have now with standard eBay spec pads are incredible compared to the 4 pots. All down to the pads.

Aren't the Yellows a fast road/track pad anyway?? Same as the Mintex 1144s??
Corsa_Sport21

17th Apr 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the police spec pads are Mintex 1144's,
djgritt
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Shockingly bad' in what way exactly?
Corsa_Sport21

18th Apr 14 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in no bite from hot or cold. No matter how much you stamped on the pedal, they never got any better at any point.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Apr 14 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not forgetting the fade which was dire after a couple high speed stops.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Apr 14 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seen internet pics of them actually cracking and falling apart too
djgritt
Premium Member

27th Apr 14 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took it to Combe yesterday. Brakes fell much better now, pulls up nice and straight and no more wobbling through the steering.
Shit economy as normal, but meh.
Desperate to get the Wheels refurbed now too, they definitely look crap in Black.

05-IMG_5967 by djgritt, on Flickr
djgritt
Premium Member

10th May 14 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time to tidy it up a bit...

BeetleGav

10th May 14 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yessssss they finally gone for refurb?

Anthracite or silver?
djgritt
Premium Member

10th May 14 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Yessssss they finally gone for refurb?

Anthracite or silver?

Metallic Silver over a Dark basecoat.

Had more depth to it than the same Silver over a Light basecoat. The Silver coat has a very noticeable Fleck to it, so should look pretty good. Especially when the Car is shiny, as it also has quite the Fleck to it.

Wheels should be done & back on the Car by the middle of the week - new (fake) BBS Centre badges are on order, and I'll also be getting some Black VW Wheel Bolt covers to tidy the appearance up.

Also bought a few extra cleaning things to give it a good going over whilst it's on the Stands, but it's been intermittently raining today, so not managed to get anything done.

Oh, and also got a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit, and dug my Mains Drill out. So fingers crossed, I'll finally get the fine crazing out of the AFL Lamps once and for all.

djgritt
Premium Member

12th May 14 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So today I did some stuff to the car, between annoying bloody rain & hail showers...

I've been trying to get out to Clay & Polish it all weekend, and intended to today, but have had intermittent weather hampering me. Oh well!

Anyway, today.

Headlight prepped;

Crazing/Pitting;

3M kit to be used;

After around an hour, improved but the blemishing isn't 100% removed;

Bit disappointed, but they are massively better than when the arrived with me. I think I may need to invest in new Lamp units if I want them to look perfect. Something to think about then...

I then started rinsing and sponging/wiping the car to remove any road grime picked up since Combe, before starting to Clay & Polish. Then is absolutely started bucketing down with rain, and then it turned into hail, and carried on for a little bit.

Sheltering...

I carried on wiping it down once the weather backed off a bit. But as the weather kept changing never got to Clay or Polish it.

Instead, I blasted all the Arches with the Hose (for the first time since purchase, well with the extra access from having the wheels off), which removed an unsuprisingly large amount of shite and solids - expected there to be a fair amount from living on the Farm before. The results weren't too bad considering;

I then popped up to Halfords and got a relatively stiff scrubbing brush, some All Purpose Cleaner and a few other cleaning things for later.
I then got into the arches and gave them, and the Calipers, a going over with the Brush & APC. Which had a good effect!

Scrubbed up;

The Calipers need repainting really, they've faded a bit over time and been exposed to heat and general uses as expected. Apparently the Blue Caliper paint from Halfords is the best match to original, so will get some of that and get them done.

No update on the Wheels from the refurb company yet, but they did say that tomorrow would be the earliest they would be done anyway.
However, the new Wheel Centre badges have been shipped, as have the VW Bolt Covers.
craig8
Premium Member

13th May 14 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used the halfords blue on mine and it was a pretty close match and lasted ages

Only pic I have is this one and it's not great

[Edited on 13-05-2014 by craig8]

E36 328
djgritt
Premium Member

13th May 14 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, good to know!

In other news...

Got the Wheels back today;

Waiting on Badges & Bolt covers before fitting, hopefully tomorrow.

Will be sealing the Wheels tomorrow, and using Tyre dressing on the sidewalls too.

Spending the day at Home tomorrow, so hoping the weather holds out so I can finish the cleaning and get everything back together, ready to get some proper Photos on the Camera rather than from my phone through Photobucket...
BeetleGav

13th May 14 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ooooo tasty colour!
Ben G

13th May 14 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels look lovely. What colour are they?
djgritt
Premium Member

14th May 14 at 06:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Wheels look lovely. What colour are they?

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Metallic Silver over a Dark basecoat. Had more depth to it than the same Silver over a Light basecoat. The Silver coat has a very noticeable Fleck to it, so should look pretty good.

Cheers.
djgritt
Premium Member

14th May 14 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All done. Everything back together & cleaned.

Have made use of the excellent weather today and got on with a good, deep clean on the Car.

Washed it, dried off. Clayed with Meguiars kit & Autoglym Rapid Detailer. Scratches/blemishes worked over with AG Paint Renovator. Paintwork polished with AG Super Resin Polish, then sealed with AG Extra Gloss Protection. Windows done with AG Fast Glass (inside), & AG Glass Polish (outside). Black Plastics, mostly, treated with AG Bumper Care gel.
Wheels sealed with AG Wheel Sealant, and tyres gone over with AG tyre Dressing.

So yeah, pretty much an Autoglym love-in... Ha.

Refit the wheels, making sure to use Copperslip on the Hub, Spacers & Bolts etc.
Fit the new BBS Copy Centre badges - much better than the last ones, as they were Multi-layered Vinyl, whereas these are Resin badges, and noticeably better quality, and a perfect fit to the Caps.
Also, fitted the VW Bolt Caps, after modifying the Locking Bolt ones to fit over the GM Bolts.

Pics, not from a Phone!

IMG_6198 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6173 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6171 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6174 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6175 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6177 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6178 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6180 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6181 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6184 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6189 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6196 by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_6197 by djgritt, on Flickr

Much better. Wish I'd bothered to get them Refurbished sooner than now!

Comments/criticism welcome...
ianofbhills

14th May 14 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels look so much better.
Really smart looking car that.
corsadonk
Premium Member

14th May 14 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the last picture, it looks spot on.
Christopher

14th May 14 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks really smart buddy, the new colour looks miles better than the black! Only thing i dislike is the small front plate.... looks silly with the full recess there to me! :/
SportBoy

14th May 14 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

verry nice wheels are 100% improvement.
Ben G

14th May 14 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So much better. I thought the black wheels looked a bit chavvy tbh.

Looks perfect now. Wouldn't touch a thing on the exterior.

Was reading the autoglym cleaning procedure wondering whether you had an AG fetish, then saw you actually do
djgritt
Premium Member

15th May 14 at 06:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers all.

Yeah, I quite like Autoglym stuff... Works well enough for me

Nothing more to do on the outside, other than sort a couple of little issues out over time.

Mapping is next, already know what route I'm taking for this, so will be getting it done once my European road trip is done this summer and I can start spending rather than saving...

<<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :( 24 database queries in 0.1948171 seconds