corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Nov 13 at 03:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
With the headlights, assume they go the same as Clio ones (although clio ones go bloody bad), Take your time doing it and I recommend buying the 3M kit you can get, come up mint then!

Yeah, i think it's the same, that slightly brown haze - is the 3M kit good then? I've seen it online but wasn't sure which one of theirs would be better. There's also a Meguiars one too, but not sure of that either.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Nov 13 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3m kit is amazing.
djgritt
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boring bits.

Insignia Washer Jets.

Will be making a start on tidying up the AFLs this week too, recently been rather busy with a workload which doesn't look like it'll be quietening down much before Christmas.
AndyCorsaSport

28th Nov 13 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a great kit at work for headlights. Believe it or not, you sand the full headlight face with 80grit sandpaper, then work up softer and softer all the way untill 3000grit. Removes a thin layer of the actual light, then mix the substance together. Which is a mixture of like a laquer and also a UV protector. Apply it with a spray gun like normal laquer. And they look like brand new! Think I have a pic of some I did on a golf a few month back I'll have to have a look.
AlexW

29th Nov 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats basically how I did mine, Its okay if you have a fair bit of time, I normall start with 400grit though.

3M kit is so easy though.
djgritt
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't get a chance to start them this week in the end. I've got a variety of fine grit Wet & Dry to use by hand, didn't get a kit in the end but still considering one...

Won't be starting them for a week at least anyway, just about to fly to Saudi for another work trip.
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Jan 14 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next to no progress with this due to heavy work loads before Christmas, dire weather, family commitments and a pure lack of enthusiasm/interest recently.

The car WILL be getting advertised for Sale at/after the VBOA rally at Billing this year as it'll free up some monthly outlay that can go towards a house. It's a shame, but it rarely gets used and it costing me a significant wedge to just sit in a garage

However, it still has some outstanding work that needs completing before it is moved on... Both in terms of incompleted modifications and maintenance.

The only thing that has been done recently is a check of the AFL Lamps, where it was found that the control module was not installed, so I've ordered a new one which will arrive with me this week. Although this has now cost me a bit more, the lights as a package are still a fair bit cheaper than any others I've seen advertised.

I'm hoping I can get a couple of hours free over this coming weekend to get the lamps fitted to the car to begin/complete polishing them up, as I have all of the materials I need for this already here already, I've just not had the time or weather on my side to have gotten stuck in yet.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jan 14 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still fancy TPMS on my Astra, gave up a while ago when I read that I had the wrong ABS modulator, would have been prohibitive a few years ago but the parts aren't daft money any more.
Jambo

8th Jan 14 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You retro fitting self levelling too? Headlights seem like a good idea, we had corer wrong lights in out old Clio which was just turning fog/driving light on in direction of corner and it was a brilliant application in the real world, imagine these are even better!

Like the upgrades, would have loved to buy this off you when you sell but the tax just makes my sphincter twitch
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 00:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It already has all the Self Levelling etc due to the Factory Xenons...

AFLs are brilliant - this daily hack of mine has them, also in Bi-Xenon.

Brilliant for all of the local rural roads, and they really do make visibilty better as you pass through bends
Jambo

8th Jan 14 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome mate. Lovely car
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Jan 14 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on the AFL Swap today - the main effort was spent on trying to polish out the oxidisation on the Plastic Lenses. Didn't get them entirely finished as had a couple of rains showers to contend with, along with a Sofa delivery halfway through the day too. Hopefully I can get the remaining stuff done tomorrow.

The Drivers side was the worst, and after a lot of effort it's still not great. It is much better though, so I will try to improve them again with a different kit later this month. The Passenger side isn't too bad though.
I tried to polish the hazing out manually with various Wet & Dry sheets with combinations of soapy water and scratch removal paste, and then went over them with a Meguiars Headlight Restoration kit to buff them up finally. I'll try the 3M kit at a later date as it includes rotary abrasive polishing mats for the Drill, which the Meguiars one doesn't.

Whilst the Headlights were out, the AFL Control Unit I received this week was fitted, the Diadem Indicator Bulbs were swapped from the old to new lamps, the Sidelight SMDs were swapped and the Xenon Bulbs & Ballasts were also swapped across.

I just hope that the Oxidisation isn't on the inside of the Lenses, as that won't be able to be rectified...

Partially dismantled;

AFL Lamps in and undergoing Polishing;

Complete AFL Lamp installed;

They were reconnected electrically, and tested to work for now - the Movement isn't yet activated however. The passenger light also needs alignment as it is way out compared to the drivers side.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it now just a case of plugging it into Tech-2 to make them work?
djgritt
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
Is it now just a case of plugging it into Tech-2 to make them work?

Not quite - some hard wiring Mods to be done too... The Tech2 work will tell the system they are installed to allow for the Fault systems (Dash warning lamp) to work correctly, so I believe.

I think I've finished them, they all seem to work on the driveway, so I'm going out later to do a running test, so will do a full update later this evening.
djgritt
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFLs finished.

Bit of a long day, and a bit cold too.

Stripped the front end of the Car down firstly, to get maximum access to all of the wiring etc. also, as a Foglight mounting had snapped previously, the bumper being off would make swapping them for the originals easier;

Then, worked out what crimps I would need (roughly) for the Multiplugs, and ran over to Maplins to find something as suitable as possible.
On the Passenger side, 2x cables needed adding and on the Drivers side just 1x cable (linking the headlights together) - the other cable was to be connected to the UEC (Underhood Electrical Centre - Fuse/Relay box essentially) to provide power to the AFL modules. This required quite a bit of dismantling of the Electrical system to gain access for the wiring plugs.

I then faffed about for a while, as had some slightly confusing information regarding the wiring. I was expecting to find some wiring to splice into at the required Pin in the UEC plug, but it wasn't there. I eventually decided that the UEC worked by having a common 12V power input, and the relevant pins on the plugs related to Outputs on the other side of Fuses/Relays etc. The Pin I was advised to use seemed to show a circuit with a Multimeter, so I bit the bullet and just terminated against it. I then tested the Lights on the drive and found they worked, although the Passenger lamp was still aimed very high. I did notice upon testing that the lamp self check moved them left/right, but only the Drivers side dropped down and back up.

I removed the Passenger light and checked the height adjustment motor and found the mechanical drive disconnected, due to the lights being adjusted to maximum height on the manual adjustment screw, which must have popped the ball of the motor from the socket. I reconnected all of this, refitted the lamp and tested it again, where it was fine. I then rebuilt the front endas it was getting Dark.

I took the car out this evening - I had, unknowingly, initally aligned the headlight aim too high, and found I as being flashed as if I was on main beam a lot, and also noticed i was lighting up car interiors and Rear View mirrors a lot, so pulled over and lowered the aim, now they are much better.

The AFL side is working, with the Bi-Xenon setup fully operating, which are a MASSIVE improvement over the original Lamps. There are cornering lamps which operate at low speeds and when indicating in the relevant direction, which both work really well. The Headlights do both turn left & right as I corner too, although the movement isn't anywhere near as obvious as it is in my Mazda.

As mentioned, some Tech2 work will be required to allow the system to show any Faults, but this isn't urgent.

Overall, very happy, and glad it was quite a simple conversion.
corsadonk
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Proper job.
djgritt
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Updated pictures in daylight since the AFL Conversion.

The lamps have a little misting/condensation, so I've put a sachet of Silica Gel into each lamp to see if it helps, otherwise I'll have to try to get some heat into them.
Also, I've taken a couple of closer images of the blemished surface of the Driver side lamp especially. They should sand out as they can be felt on the outside when rubbing a fingernail across the surface.

Also, Original Chrome Foglights are back in, and I'm not sure on them, so will keep an eye out for another set of Smoked ones in the near future.

I also washed the car during some heavy rain showers as it was properly minging, got some strange looks from my neighbours as a result though. Ha.

Anyway...

Old - Single Xenon, non AFL Headlamps fitted:

New - Bi-Xenon, AFL Headlamps fitted:

IMG_4319
by djgritt, on Flickr

Old - Xenon Headlamp:

New - AFL Headlamp:

IMG_4320
by djgritt, on Flickr

Note, from R-L, reshaped Indicator housing, larger Xenon Projector casing (to accomodate for lamp movement), Low speed Cornering lamp (between Projector and next lamp 'bowl), and Auxiliary Main Beam lamp.
- Xenon will work on both Dip & Main Beam when moving, and also swivel appropriate to Steering input.
- Cornering Lamp illuminates at Kerb level under 30ish mph appropriate to Steering input, and also when indicating
- Auxiliary Main Beam, used for flashing when Xenon lamps aren't on.

Surface Blemishing:

IMG_4322
by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_4323
by djgritt, on Flickr

Updated images:

IMG_4321
by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_4324
by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_4329
by djgritt, on Flickr

IMG_4330
by djgritt, on Flickr
Jambo

13th Jan 14 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely
taylorboosh

14th Jan 14 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i agree, very smart
djgritt
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't overly happy with the attempts to tidy up the Headlight blemishing in the past, so ordered another polishing kit (as the 3M Sanding/Polishing kit seems to be a bit harder to get hold of without spending silly money recently)

The Drivers lamp is worst, so concentrated on that one.

I sanded it from 600 - 2500 Grit Papers by hand, and dry instead of wet as before as i wanted it to try to cut as much back as possible. I then finished over them with an Ultra-Fine pad by hand (I think it's believed to be around 3000 Grit)

Finally, I used the rotary polishing pads in my drill and did 5 polishing routines on each headlamp. They are now significantly better, albeit still not 100% sorted, but I am much happier with them now.

Also, I'm glad to see my Silica gel packs in the Lamps has helped with sorting the condensation I had when they were first fitted.

Pics after everything was finished today;

basslinecorsa
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, they look ace in the picture. Just shows what a bit of elbow grease can do. nice work

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
whitter45

21st Feb 14 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking awesome
Mark.W

21st Feb 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the xenon lights,makes a huge difference to the car.
Ben G

21st Feb 14 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My drivers side headlamp is the same, looks awful. Passenger side is fine, weirdly.

I don't have the balls to attack mine with sandpaper though might have to pay someone to do it.
j10E W

22nd Feb 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sick

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :( 24 database queries in 0.2122440 seconds