corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tablet requirement

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tablet requirement
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Aug 11 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello,

I need a portable device I can plug a USB barcode scanner into and scan in barcodes, been thinking of using a tablet but not clued up on them so was wondering what the wonderful men of Geek Day suggest?

Device needs to be light, portable, OK battery life and the application I'm reading the barcodes into will be a web browser as thats how we access our stock system. Needs to have Wifi but I assume pretty much all tablets have this? Screen needs to be a decent size but keeping the weight down.

Anyone done anything like this before? The stuff they use in tescos/big stores are far too expensive and the screens are too small as I'll need to navigate round a website before entering the barcodes in.

All input welcome, thanks
Neo

1st Aug 11 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a few MSI winds at my last place for just this Will (admittedly before tablets really came out). Did the job and was cheap
ed

1st Aug 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first thing that comes to mind would be an Archos 9 tablet as that runs Windows 7 on an Intel Atom processor. It has USB ports and has a decent sized screen.

There are a few generic versions of these you can buy on Ebay from China, some of which run Atom processors others which run different architecture with Windows CE or XP on them which might not fully support your hardware?
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 11 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be wary of the cheap and cheerful stuff as they normally have awful touchscreens. I'm sure most andriod devices can accept USB inputs?
oceansoul

2nd Aug 11 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were getting new panasonic toughbooks CF1-U1's for our work order dispatch system at work. Run Win7, have USB Serial etc WiFi GPS Bluetooth.

Fucking expensive though.

http://www.toughbook.eu/products-and-services/umpc/cf-u1
Rob_Quads

2nd Aug 11 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a look at the ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC - Very well made piece of kit
Leighton

2nd Aug 11 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11156/index.html

willay
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We aren't on a cisco budget I'm afraid, I'd be looking for an all-rounder that could double up as a nice toy if this whole thing turns out to be useless?
noshua

4th Aug 11 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any with a USB port and the right software will work won't it? You've got a choice of either Android or Windows, latter being the easiest for your situation if you already have software that you can install on it (for the bar code reader).

Pretty sure you could use the camera to read the bar codes if you're not using a USB attached bar code reader - quite a bit slower though.
willay
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like there is a bunch of a barcode scanners that are usb/bluetooth that work with Android without an issue which is nice. The question now is what tablet to go for, was reading a review on the Asus Transformer TF101
http://www.ebuyer.com/262117-asus-transformer-tf101-tablet-pc-tf101-1b027a

Which looks alright, not bad price and a big screen. Any reccomendations?
Leighton

4th Aug 11 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco Tablet is only £700, well thats what i can get it for if you want one
noshua

4th Aug 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-p7500-wifi-16gb-black-10983417-pdt.html

New Poll