corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer problem now!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer problem now!
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
25th May 11 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet again I'm in need of help.

Tried to turn the computer on today and a screen popped up saying something was wrong, gave me the option of booting it up in safe mode or else the last time it was working. So I went for the latter, it got to the XP loading screen and then it restarted, so I tried again but in safe mode this time and it done the same thing so theres know way of me getting to my desktop. Only way I could get it to turn off was by the mains switch too.

Is there any way out of this other than re-installing the O/S?

Was talking to my Mum and she said when she was on it a trojan warning popped up so she turned the computer off so I'm assuming this is what caused it
Sam
Premium Member

25th May 11 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this exact same issue with a customer's PC on Friday, it was caused by malware in part.

What I had to do was get the XP disc and run Setup, choose the Recovery Console option and did chkdsk /p /r - this took about an hour on so on I think a 120GB hard drive IIRC.

See here for details - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Next, get a USB stick and put the following free "portable" programs on it using another computer:

- SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com
- CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Next, go into Safe Mode, log in to your normal profile and run SuperAntiSpyware from the USB stick and get it to scan the whole machine, I guarantee you will find malware relating to Security Tool and other similar shite when it's finished.

Once that's cleaned up the malware, run CCleaner and get it to scan everything in the Cleaner tab, then when that's done click on the Registry tab and run that a few times until no issues come up.

Finally, reboot into normal Windows and everything will be working OK again.
Jamie-C

25th May 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet your getting sick of me now Sam . Thanks for the guide, I'll do it tonight, will post how it goes.

Thanks again
adiohead

25th May 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if this doesn't work then it could be a hardware problem.

Once my work PC wouldn't boot because the front LEDs had failed.
Russ

25th May 11 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
if this doesn't work then it could be a hardware problem.

Once my work PC wouldn't boot because the front LEDs had failed.
Sam
Premium Member

25th May 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
I bet your getting sick of me now Sam . Thanks for the guide, I'll do it tonight, will post how it goes.

Thanks again

No worries, and good luck!

adio - @ LEDs!
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its only gone and made things worse

Done it by following this guide step by step - http://www.schrockinnovations.com/how-to-run-a-chkdsk-to-repair-your-damaged-hard-drive-2/

So once it had finished I exited and the computer rebooted so I tried to boot it up in safe mode, but it didn't even get as far as the XP loading screen and it rebooted, now its only getting as far as the first screen when I turn the computer on and staying there, its not even giving me the option to boot from CD now so I can't even reinstall XP to start a fresh

Looks like I'll be paying someone to sort out a bigger mess now , I don't understand what went wrong though as everything went as described in the guide.
Sam
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That site's instructions are more or less the same as mine, but you could have run the one command as I stated, to force it to check and fix for errors (i.e. chkdsk /p /r)...

Anyways, what exactly happens when you try booting into Safe Mode? You will probably need to repeatedly press the F8 key after the BIOS screen has loaded up to get that menu up by the way.
adiohead

26th May 11 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possible hard drive failure
_Allan_

26th May 11 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Throw in a new drive and install XP. See if you can use the old drive as a secondary and remove all your data if possible. Format it and try again, checkdisk etc...

If not then it's probably duff.
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of writing comes up on the screen Sam when I try to boot it in safe mode. Can'r remember what as its all weird shit Disk partition and aload of other stuff. Then it stops for about 10secs and reboots.

Managed ro boot it up in disc mode again so I'll run the command you said now. Althour I'm think the HD is shot as said.
adiohead

26th May 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next time it happens try and remember what the blue screen says

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750081.aspx

Or take a picture

[Edited on 26-05-2011 by adiohead]
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ran dskchk /p /r again. Exited and again tried to boot it up in safe mode but it done the exact same thing.

Its not a blue screen adio, but heres a pic

It stays on that for about 5 - 10secs then reboots
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a driver issssue
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please elaborate....
adiohead

26th May 11 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure it's a driver issue. That just looks like a PC trying to boot into safe mode to me.
adiohead

26th May 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Throw in a new drive and install XP. See if you can use the old drive as a secondary and remove all your data if possible. Format it and try again, checkdisk etc...

I'd do this.

You need to get your important stuff from the drive
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't boot up in normal mode either, gets to the XP loading screen and reboots.

Looks like I'm going to have to install XP again , which means all my stuff will be wiped
Jamie-C

26th May 11 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

I'd do this.

You need to get your important stuff from the drive

Looks like thats what I'll be doing.
adiohead

26th May 11 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't wipe your stuff yet! Get your files off first and then try some more things and before you format.
_Allan_

26th May 11 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If his files are off I wouldn't be arsed trying to fix it imo. I've spent more time in the past trying to fix a corrupt OS/Boot sector than it would take for a fresh OS install and format. Plus its nice to have a clean drive every now and again. I would then check the drive for a few days and ensure it's working correctly. If not then bin it and get another before moving the data back across. Just my personal opinion
adiohead

26th May 11 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If his files are off I wouldn't be arsed trying to fix it imo. I've spent more time in the past trying to fix a corrupt OS/Boot sector than it would take for a fresh OS install and format. Plus its nice to have a clean drive every now and again. I would then check the drive for a few days and ensure it's working correctly. If not then bin it and get another before moving the data back across. Just my personal opinion

I do agree, but sometimes you have installed programs that would be a hassle to find again.

When I had HD failure I thought I'd backed up everything but I lost some important audio files which I'll never be able to find again
oceansoul

26th May 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a thread like this on almost a weekly basis. Does no one have back ups of their data?
adiohead

26th May 11 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
There is a thread like this on almost a weekly basis. Does no one have back ups of their data?

My mate had the back up drive fail at the same time

That's just unlucky!

I have a back up drive but can never be bothered to do it.
Sam
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem here is that we can't yet establish whether the problem is hardware or software (Windows, AVG) related.

If I had the PC in front of me now I'd probably have to spend several hours with it eliminating hardware issues (RAM, PSU, video card, other add on cards) before going back to trying to sort the OS side of things.

You would probably be better off taking it to a trusted computer repair place in your area TBH as these kinds of jobs are a bloody nightmare to sort and I do this day in day out!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll